`DONS V celtic

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

everyman
Former Robins Scott Brown and Jonny Hayes help Aberdeen beat celtic 2-1 last night.
Artemis
I did wonder if that was the Jonny Hayes who played for us.
To think, Scottie Brown could be an SPL winner!
Nesty
what with Marley Watkins (any others?) it does make we wonder what level the SPL is !! - how do they do in Europe? - exactly!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:what with Marley Watkins (any others?) it does make we wonder what level the SPL is !! - how do they do in Europe? - exactly!
Someone moved from Carlisle to SPL this window - tinpot league.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
G G T T H wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Nesty wrote:what with Marley Watkins (any others?) it does make we wonder what level the SPL is !! - how do they do in Europe? - exactly!
Someone moved from Carlisle to SPL this window - tinpot league.
Someone moved from Fleetwood to an EPL not so long ago, does that make that a tinpot league ?
No but it does make Vardy a one off. Look how many L2 and L1 clubs swap players with SPL clubs every window without anyone noticing. That is the level of the SPL.

SPL currently between Denmark and Azerbaijan leagues in the UEFA coefficient rankings at 25th out of the 54 top flights (including San Marino, Gibraltar and other such heavyweights).

Tinpot league and annoying it gets so much coverage on English TV and media.
Artemis
I think celtic are the exception to the remainder (as will Rangers when they get themselves in order) - Championship standard? Which to me, makes Aberdeens success this season all the more remarkable. anyway veering onto other football territory now.
horlickfanclub
What is"English TV " Regency? The B in BBC stands for British. Sky does not stop its signal at the border and we do have teams from a country called Wales in the Premier and football league to be covered.
The SPL is Championship /top of Div.1 level in my opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:What is"English TV " Regency? The B in BBC stands for British. Sky does not stop its signal at the border and we do have teams from a country called Wales in the Premier and football league to be covered.
The SPL is Championship /top of Div.1 level in my opinion.
People in Cheltenham do not get Conference scores read out on BBC final score vidiprinter a they come in, yet they do hear the presenter announcing goals in the Scottish Third Division. But not Wales or Northern Irish Premier Leagues.

Either cover leagues around Britain on merit (Conference above Scottish lower leagues for eg) or treat the Nations equally (Wales the same as Scotland for eg). Currently Scottish leagues and cups get preferential treatment in either of the two options.
Shade
I'd say Celtic are League 1 standard now - they're not as good since they haven't had Rangers to compete with.
John
Shade wrote:I'd say Celtic are League 1 standard now - they're not as good since they haven't had Rangers to compete with.
They've definitely gone backwards without Rangers but League One standard is probably a bit harsh. They're comparative to a mid-table Championship team.

I moved up to Glasgow back in the 90's and I've had a season ticket at Ibrox for most of that time. It's been an interesting past few seasons!... When Rangers went down to the 4th tier I thought attendances would drop quite considerably. Unbelievable that 50k were still turning up every other week for games against the likes of East Stirling.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Scottish FL match had it's own 'LIVE Commentary' feed on the BBC homepage the other day. Why not Wales and NI league?
baggy89
John wrote:
Shade wrote:I'd say Celtic are League 1 standard now - they're not as good since they haven't had Rangers to compete with.
They've definitely gone backwards without Rangers but League One standard is probably a bit harsh. They're comparative to a mid-table Championship team.

I moved up to Glasgow back in the 90's and I've had a season ticket at Ibrox for most of that time. It's been an interesting past few seasons!... When Rangers went down to the 4th tier I thought attendances would drop quite considerably. Unbelievable that 50k were still turning up every other week for games against the likes of East Stirling.
LOL.

Complete and utter shite.