You have to hand it to him...

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
...Big Sam is a great manager. He may not manage teams to play football that's easy on the eye - but he sure as hell knows how to set up a team not to be relegated. Brucie Bonus for relegating the Toon while he saved the Makems, too!

It was a disgrace how he was treated at Blackburn.
London Exile
I'm in a small group of 1 but I'd have him as the next England manager.
Big Sam might not play pretty football but he utilises what he has to hand and is his own man which is what I think the national team is crying out for. Time and time again we have managers picking players based on reputation and trying to put square pegs round holes to accommodate this.
Rooney is guaranteed to start irrespective of form and Hodgson saying he'll pick wilshere so long as he's fit is shocking given how well others have performed this season.

In any case I. doubt the FA would pick Sam though on the basis he's not a 'yes' man
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I must say I was hoping Sam would go down to wipe his smug "I never got relegated" smile off his face. BUT, in the last couple of months I have found my feelings changing and like asl I will now say he is a great manager.

Just look how he has got Defoe playing and scoring, and all the other players who have stepped up. A great energy about the club now and Big Sam is the man who transformed them.

As for England, Hodgson is losing grip: delaying announcing the squad so he can see which half-fit Arsenal has-been is the first to come out the physio door and straight into the England squad? Pathetic. Wilshere, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain; leave them all behind. How many times have they failed? Ten years we have been waiting for Walcott to 'break through' and he still hasn't decided which position he wants to play. Wellbeck has now succumbed to the hard Arsenal training pitch and poor physio team and is becoming a perennial crock as well.
asl
Wilshire is one of the few genuinely World-class midfielders we have. Don't get me started on Jordan "you're just a sh1t Steven Gerrard" Henderson or, god forbid, Michael flippin' Carrick. If Wilshire's fit, he should play. I'm also hugely disappointed the Ox is injured - he's a great impact player to come on against tiring defenders. Agreed about Walcott, though - he's been very poor for a couple of years.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Wilshire is one of the few genuinely World-class midfielders we have. Don't get me started on Jordan "you're just a sh1t Steven Gerrard" Henderson or, god forbid, Michael flippin' Carrick. If Wilshire's fit, he should play. I'm also hugely disappointed the Ox is injured - he's a great impact player to come on against tiring defenders. Agreed about Walcott, though - he's been very poor for a couple of years.
World class at waltzing around the midfield playing short passes or losing it before getting injured.

What we have seen this season in the Prem and Champs League is that fast, strong, powerful mid-fielders who can run, tackle and pass are what is required. Noble, Kante, Drinkwater, Dembele, etc.

If you are happy to see a slow-paced England giving the opposition time and space and playing with little drive take Wilshere. If you want to see an energetic England closing down the opposition and turning defence into attack with power then don't.
Shade
I agree, Wilshere is world class - but the style of world class that he brings in an England shirt isn't the way we are going to win anything. We need to play like we're in a Premier League game - fast, direct and to our strengths. Too often our players, that play in that way every week, get into an England shirt and let the opposition dictate the pace and style of games. What we saw against Germany, when we came back to win 3-2, was a team full of new players that played in their own way. I just really hope Vardy is picked to start games in France because he's the type of player that will seriously worry, and beat, European defences.

I'd never want Big Sam as England manager. If we're looking to just sneak through to the knock-out stages of a tournament, or just not finish last in the group stages, then maybe, but we'll never get anywhere near a final with him in charge. Let's face it, he's mid-table manager at best. His biggest achievement is not being relegated and making Bolton a mid-table team. Whoopie do. On that basis, we might as well get Eddie Howe in charge of England. I would prefer that, actually.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:What we have seen this season in the Prem and Champs League is that fast, strong, powerful mid-fielders who can run, tackle and pass are what is required. Noble, Kante, Drinkwater, Dembele, etc.
Just a shame that two of your four examples aren't English... I agree about having Drinkwater in the team, though. Not so convinced about Noble, this season. I don't think he's hit the heights of his last two seasons.

So, on the assumption that Rooney is going to be picked because he has compromising photos of Woy in his underpants on Barnes Common, or something (dunno what other explanation there can be) who would you pick? On that assumption, I'd actually leave Wilshire on the bench and go 4-3-1-2:

Hart

Clyne
Smalling
Cahill (though it gives me feelings of despair that these two are our best CBs. Has Stones has developed enough?)
Rose (is Gibbs injured, too?)

Drinkwater
Dyer
Ali

Rooney

Vardy
Kane

We'll concede goals - but at least it'll be fun watching and I bet we'd score against anyone! However, we all know we're going to play 4-4-2 with Rooney up front alongside one of the two in-form goal-scorers, so swap Vardy (or Kane) for Wilshire, tell the two full-backs they're not allowed out of their half of the pitch, hope for a half-chance on the break and job's a good 'un.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:What we have seen this season in the Prem and Champs League is that fast, strong, powerful mid-fielders who can run, tackle and pass are what is required. Noble, Kante, Drinkwater, Dembele, etc.
Just a shame that two of your four examples aren't English... .
I wasn't suggesting England players, just prime examples of the type of midfielders you need for success (think Pell vis a vis Richards, for example).

Assuming Rooney

Hart

Walker
Smalling
Cahill
Rose

Milner
Dier
Drinkwater

Rooney

Vardy
Kane

No Rooney:

Hart

Walker
Smalling
Cahill
Rose

Milner
Dier
Drinkwater

Ali

Vardy
Kane

And make Dier captain, just so if England win it a Cheltenham born player is the first to hold the trophy aloft.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 12 May 2016, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
If I could I'd go the same as asl except for one change, which would be Rooney out, Alli in behind and Milner in. He is in a rich vein of form and he and Alli should be allowed to flit around in front of the defensive pair of Dier and Drinkwater. Lallana and Barkley to come off the bench.

Oh, and Eric Dier in place of Nathan Dyer, of course ;)
asl
I meant Kieran Dyer... ;) Yes, spelling error on my part. I actually put Dier first but decided it looked wrong...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alli must have a free role.

The only way to open up space for Vardy is for Alli to not have a marker and be allowed to wherever needed, wide, deep, middle, top, you name it he has the confidence and ability to find the space and make space and do something incredible when he has.

If he is told to sit in midfield and play a set position it will be another waste so typical of boring England campaigns of the last ten years.
Shade
I think we three should replace Woy, in order to make sure the job gets done proper, like.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great idea.
asl
I'd accept a three-year contract at a third of his rate.
Shade
Just make sure we don't write the final squad down on a fag packet and accidentally call up Benson & Hedges.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Just make sure we don't write the final squad down on a fag packet and accidentally call up Benson & Hedges.
Lambert and Butler would be better players.
asl
Better than Camel, anyway...
Shade
Sterling would have to be on the bench. And that John Player is a bit Special.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hoping for a Lucky Strike to win the final.