FGR 2016-17

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Hate is a strong word but jeez they look like very annoying this season, just seen them run out at Dover and one of them has a green mohawk and their manager looks like an extra from TOWIE.

Proper cringe.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Hate is a strong word but jeez they look like very annoying this season, just seen them run out at Dover and one of them has a green mohawk and their manager looks like an extra from TOWIE.

Proper cringe.
Money bags. Probably jog around the pitch telling their part-time opponents how much they get paid to play and all that crass classless stuff. F*ck 'em.
longmover
that'll learn 'em
Chris FGR
As a long term FGR fan have never had a problem with Cheltenham, been along to support you from time to time and know quite a few others who have done the same.

Understand that we're difficult to like these days, but remember the fans are what a club is really about and the majority of us are decent.
The Old TomCat
I echo what FGR Chris has written.
By common consent the Dover v FGR match was the best National Conference game broadcast this season.
The Mohawk on top of Nobles head has been shaved off. Pity because I liked it.
RSC: the manager and players were full of respect to their opponents so please don't make an issue where none exists.
Longmover: nobody at FGR hates Cheltenham.

I hope some of you guys will be at TNL tonight for local derby match in the Gloucestershire FA Senior Cup.
No segregation and no security questions on gate.
We can all have a drink together in the CE suite and enjoy the game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:As a long term FGR fan have never had a problem with Cheltenham, been along to support you from time to time and know quite a few others who have done the same.

Understand that we're difficult to like these days, but remember the fans are what a club is really about and the majority of us are decent.
True, though if you were fans of principle you would stop going and support Shortwood or someone. Still attending games and supporting the club is tacit condoning of the unsavoury path the club has been taken down.
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: True, though if you were fans of principle you would stop going and support Shortwood or someone. Still attending games and supporting the club is tacit condoning of the unsavoury path the club has been taken down.
Real fans don't just flounce because they don't agree with every decision the owner of their club makes.

Been a fan since I was a kid, not going to just give up on my club. Would you?
Ralph
Chris FGR wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: True, though if you were fans of principle you would stop going and support Shortwood or someone. Still attending games and supporting the club is tacit condoning of the unsavoury path the club has been taken down.

never. 4000 miles from home now and still keep on top of everything. When I get home, go home and away. It will always be my club
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:
Real fans don't just flounce because they don't agree with every decision the owner of their club makes.

Depends if what was my club became no longer my club. Look at the club Hereford fans set-up when there's was taken away by conmen, and then think whether those fans decided to 'just give up'. What about AFC Wimbledon, are they a bunch of flouncers too disloyal to support MK Dons.

I cannot think of a situation where I would ever give up on CTFC, but mainly because I cannot imagine the whole identity and spirit of my club being changed to the extent it was no longer the same club.

Hypothetical question: If Vince renames the club when it's relocated to the M5, and at the same time someone started a new team in Forest Green, which would you support?

FGR is changing. Let's see how you feel about it in five years, when I hope for your sake it is not too late.
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Depends if what was my club became no longer my club. Look at the club Hereford fans set-up when there's was taken away by conmen, and then think whether those fans decided to 'just give up'. What about AFC Wimbledon, are they a bunch of flouncers too disloyal to support MK Dons.

I cannot think of a situation where I would ever give up on CTFC, but mainly because I cannot imagine the whole identity and spirit of my club being changed to the extent it was no longer the same club.

Hypothetical question: If Vince renames the club when it's relocated to the M5, and at the same time someone started a new team in Forest Green, which would you support?

FGR is changing. Let's see how you feel about it in five years, when I hope for your sake it is not too late.
I'm not sure that comparing FGR to what happened at Wimbledon or Hereford is right. Hereford's owners in particular were conmen clearly there for all the wrong reasons, whereas Wimbledon had their club taken 80 miles away and renamed. Neither of those scenarios are applicable to us.

Although I certainly don't agree with everything Vince has done, the core (green) message he brings to the table isn't actually all that bad. I would prefer us not to be a walking advertisement for his business, but overall the club is doing better then ever on the pitch, is consistently increasing attendances, is establishing lots of links with local schools, and now has a proper academy set up. I think most people are prepared to put up with some of the changes/restrictions as there is a real upside to Ecotricity's ownership to balance out the negatives.

I personally don't agree with the move to the M5, but the club has assured fans that the name wont change. If it happens, and it's a big if, then obviously that might change things for me and several others. Lets just say I want to see a bloody good argument for it being necessary before I get on board, so far no real persuasive evidence/facts have been provided.

The move would be more comparable to something like Barnet going to the Hive rather then Wimbledon going to MK though, it's not exactly far away.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I am a fan of the core message too Chris.

Hopefully the name won't change, just every year or two something little changes and one day add to something big, which can't be undone. That is my fear for FGR.
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Hopefully the name won't change, just every year or two something little changes and one day add to something big, which can't be undone. That is my fear for FGR.
You're not the only one with that fear, tbf.