Who next for England?

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We need someone in to steer us through what should be an easy qualifying stage.

Would Mourinho be tempted? Pardew? Any other straws to clutch?
Shade
Obvious candidate, due to nearly getting it in the summer, is Steve Bruce. But I hope it isn't him. Southgate has the next 4 games...let's see how he does. Althought he didn't want it a few months ago so I don't know if that will change.
Malabus
Eddie Howe.
asl
I'd like Howe to get it one day - but I agree with most pundits that it's maybe too early for him. If it's Southgate or Bruce, we can look forward to the same old dull, turgid, uninspiring football we've seen since Woy took over. I see Wenger has been mentioned: I don't think for one second he'd be interested, but I'd like to see that (so would most Gooners I know...) Jose would be fun - but there's even less chance of him taking it.

It'll be Bruce.
Shade
I also agree Howe, but not yet. We don't want him ruined in the press before he's even turned 40.

I don't know if we would get the same turgid rubbish under Southgate. I don't know if you noticed, but he's not been club managing for quite a while now, and his U21 side has been playing some good stuff and even won the Toulon tournament in the summer.
Malabus
Got to be an English manager.
asl
Malabus wrote:Got to be an English manager.
Why?
Malabus
asl wrote:
Malabus wrote:Got to be an English manager.
Why?
The last bunch of foreigners were a disaster. English managers show more passion. It's a shame Big Sam got involved with this scandal; he was a great replacement and it's a shame that he needed £400,000 when he had a job worth £3 million plus bonuses a year.
I feel we need a English man at this time with young English players developing and being called up and getting caps
asl
Hodgson? MacLaren? Passion? Hahahahahahaha!
Malabus
Sven passion?
Red Duke
Would any Football Manager want to take on this poisoned chalice?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pardew for me.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Pardew for me.
Yes..agree with that.
London Exile
I'd like to see Howe allowed to do it on a part time basis. I know some supporters believe that the role should be full time but if it means we an employ a good young English manager then why not a part time role?
He could appoint an experienced guy as his assistant (like a Glenn Hoddle or even 'Arry) to help do the scouting whilst EH is busy with his day to day role with Bournemouth.

However, I fully expect Steve Bruce to rock up at St Georges Park and Big Sam to move in at the Bet365 stadium, Stoke on Trent in the near future
Shade
Pardew? We'd have a great spell (qualifying) and then a catastrophically terrible spell (tournaments), just like he has always had at his clubs. So, looking at that, he'd be a perfect match for the England job.

He would certainly give us something extra, though. I'm seeing Wenger's name mentioned a bit. Wouldn't be a terrible idea, if not just to change the record, maybe get us playing attractive football, even if we don't win things. I'd rather play good football 80% of the time and lose than play mind-numbingly shite football 80% of the time and lose. Southgate until the end of the season (which is what's probably going to happen anyway), then Wenger put the effort in to get us playing nice stuff, and then Howe to succeed him in a few years and lead us on?
Robin
Not many realistic candidates to choose from but Eddie Howe seems to overwhelming choice, certainly ahead of Steve Bruce. He plays good football, doesn't work on 'names' .

Other options I guess are Pardew and Bruce but they hardly inspire much confidence.
asl
If I though Wenger would do it, I'd give Southgate the job til the end of the season. Although, Lingard?? Really?????
Shade
Southgate's selection is very...what's the word...s#!t. At least with the inclusion of Keane at the third attempt we have something different to possibly look at as an 87th minute sub against Malta...
longmover
Wenger, who's the last England manager (coach) the players respected?
Shade
longmover wrote:Wenger, who's the last England manager (coach) the players respected?
Capello, I'd hope. Still we were s#!t.
Nesty
these players wouldnt respect anybody. post it note to self - next time England game on box - change channel fast - boring sideways and backward passing back to where it came from