Head Guards For Soccer Players

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
The scientific and medical community states that continuous heading of the soccer ball can cause brain damage; identical damage to a boxer that receives punches to the head in the ring.

Heading the 93'min winner can start the onset of dementia.

Surely now the main elite which governs the game must offer adequate head guards as a legal requirement for players that are concerned with their long term mental health.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co ... ent=safari" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
Apparently there is no safe way to head a soccer ball despite any protection.
Could we see heading of the ball eliminated from the game? A professor just on LBC suggests it's a good possibility.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Players know the risk. If they choose to head it then that's up to them.

I made one header in my playing days, and had a headache after and asked to come off. Aside from that, I had a great 'being out jumped' or 'mistiming' technique for avoiding heading it.
Shade
Me too. Took one right on the crown when I was playing a game for my school at about 10yo and tried to avoid it ever after. Add in wearing glasses from 13yo and I'm about 20 years header free...
asl
We used to have an old-fashioned lace-up at school - proper 1960's kit that had somehow not been chucked out over a decade before. I can still remember heading that as it dropped out of the sky in torrential rain. It felt like my neck had been hammered into my torso and the loud ringing sensation blotted out all external sounds for a good few minutes. Those things were only slightly lighter than medicine balls once they got wet.

Never had any desire to head that one, again - although I'm surprised the beach-balls of today (comparatively) have quite the same impact.