Confederations Cup.

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

everyman
Germany v Mexico from the Fisht Olympic Stadium in our twin town Sochi tonight.Have you been there Leo Hoenig ?
Nesty
One question - WHY? WHAT IS IT ? how come we (England) are not in it yet it has prime time pn ITV ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:One question - WHY? WHAT IS IT ? how come we (England) are not in it yet it has prime time pn ITV ?
It is an 8 team tournament, every four years.

It is contested by the current champions of the six continental tournaments, current world cup champions and the hosts (usually the next world cup hosts).

Unless England meet one of those criteria we will never be one of the eight.
Shade
But the question remains, what is it doing on prime time ITV. I've wondered this myself. Who cares about it enough for it not to be on ITV4? I mean, yay, Germany's B side has stuffed Mexico, what a treat...I'm sure they got more viewers for that than they would Emmerdale or Corrie.

Only thing I can guess is that to get England/World Cup rights they are obliged to show a certain number of Confed Cup games on ITV1.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Never watch watch ITV 1 (apart from big England games) so doesn't bother me. In fact, rather that stuff like this is on ITV 1 or 2 replacing some chavfest show, rather than taking up space on ITV 3 (Midsomer Murders, Lewis, Endeavour) or ITV 4 (Tennis, Cycling).
Shade
I wouldn't say Emmerdale or Corrie were "chavfest" shows, my parents would be quite offended, but that's beside the point. ITV4 is ITV's de facto sports channel, even showing FA youth cup games, so it doesn't make sense in terms of viewership as to why they would ditch two of their most popular shows for what is, essentially, a warm-up tournament for the World Cup that doesn't include any home nations.

Old repeats of ITV dramas and tennis and cycling...I'd actually rather watch Germany's reserves batter Mexico...or indoor bowls.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I wouldn't say Emmerdale or Corrie were "chavfest" shows, my parents would be quite offended, but that's beside the point. ITV4 is ITV's de facto sports channel, even showing FA youth cup games, so it doesn't make sense in terms of viewership as to why they would ditch two of their most popular shows for what is, essentially, a warm-up tournament for the World Cup that doesn't include any home nations.

Old repeats of ITV dramas and tennis and cycling...I'd actually rather watch Germany's reserves batter Mexico...or indoor bowls.
With Lewis not being made anymore and the next series of Endeavour not out until later this year, how else is one to get one's Laurence Fox and Sean Evans fix without repeats?!

Tennis...cycling....not going to be a good three weeks for you then!
Shade
Holiday planned from next weekend, luckily. And lots of time outside and/or drunk should see me through it.