Celtic

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
0-0 at home in 3rd Qualifying Round first leg against Rosenborg of Norway.

Celtic will have to go to Trondheim and win in front of 27,000 vociferous Norsemen to get to the next qualifying round, else it will be the Europa League Play-Off Round and another blow to the Scottish (already pish-poor) co-efficient.

In fact, a win for Rosenborg would likely see the Norwegian league overtake the SPL, and with Kazakh teams doing well, the Kazakhstan league could overtake the SPL too, leaving the Scottish League ranked as the 28th best in Europe.
kora
Whatever happened to Scottish football; there was a time when they were up there with the best in Europe. Celtic were the first British club to win the European Cup as it was then, Rangers and Aberdeen also achieved Euro glory, every English top flight club had Scottish players driving them on and they qualified for most world and euro cup competitions. Now ranked alongside Kazakhstan and the few Scottish players registered to premier clubs are bench warmers. Answers on a postcard please to the SFA.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kora wrote:Whatever happened to Scottish football; there was a time when they were up there with the best in Europe. Celtic were the first British club to win the European Cup as it was then, Rangers and Aberdeen also achieved Euro glory, every English top flight club had Scottish players driving them on and they qualified for most world and euro cup competitions. Now ranked alongside Kazakhstan and the few Scottish players registered to premier clubs are bench warmers. Answers on a postcard please to the SFA.
TV money to the more popular leagues like the EPL, La Liga, etc, means lesser leagues like Scotland, Holland, etc see their relative spending power decrease. Even if SPL clubs get more money from TV than ever before and spend more money than ever before, it is growing much slower than the big leagues, so gets left behind. And as 'emerging' countries in Europe get more money from sponsors/oligarchs, they catch-up with the SPL.

The fact Scotland is one of the most unhealthy/obese nations in Europe suggests fewer children are playing football and sport so the talent pool is reducing.
Shade
I've seen this twice now, here and BBC, that they have to go to Norway and win. Surely a score draw will do?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Meanwhile Aberdeen scrape a 2-1 home win vs the less famous of the two sides from Limassol in this years' Europa League, only getting the winner after the Cypriots were down to ten men.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Aberdeen out!!! Loool.

3-2 on aggregate after a 2-0 defeat in Limassol, to Apollon, who came third in the Cyprus league last season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
G G T T H wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:0-0 at home in 3rd Qualifying Round first leg against Rosenborg of Norway.

Celtic will have to go to Trondheim and win in front of 27,000 vociferous Norsemen to get to the next qualifying round, else it will be the Europa League Play-Off Round and another blow to the Scottish (already pish-poor) co-efficient.

In fact, a win for Rosenborg would likely see the Norwegian league overtake the SPL, and with Kazakh teams doing well, the Kazakhstan league could overtake the SPL too, leaving the Scottish League ranked as the 28th best in Europe.
Norwegian football must be really ''pish poor'' if a shi-ite team from Scotland can beat their league leaders at home !! I'm guessing the 27k (even though the Lerkendal Stadions capacity is only around 21.5k) vociferous Norsemen didn't have the desired affect ?
Yup it is extremely pish poor. You'd expect Celtic to win there - would be an embarrassing debacle if not.
leohoenig
G G T T H wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Norwegian football must be really ''pish poor'' if a shi-ite team from Scotland can beat their league leaders at home !! I'm guessing the 27k (even though the Lerkendal Stadions capacity is only around 21.5k) vociferous Norsemen didn't have the desired affect ?
Actual attendance 20,974
Current Rankings at https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/ue ... k2018.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scotland finished 2016-17 at 23rd, are now 26th, but will pick up if Celtic beat Astana
The separation of Champions and non-Champions routes, along with seeding have helped Celtic here
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:
G G T T H wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Norwegian football must be really ''pish poor'' if a shi-ite team from Scotland can beat their league leaders at home !! I'm guessing the 27k (even though the Lerkendal Stadions capacity is only around 21.5k) vociferous Norsemen didn't have the desired affect ?
Actual attendance 20,974
Current Rankings at https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/ue ... k2018.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scotland finished 2016-17 at 23rd, are now 26th, but will pick up if Celtic beat Astana
The separation of Champions and non-Champions routes, along with seeding have helped Celtic here
Yup, Champions route gives advantage to teams from leagues like Scotland. The non-Champions route saw teams like Ajax and Nice playing each other, as well as second and third place teams from Greek and Turkish Leagues etc. Also means Celtic avoided Liverpool and the fourth place sides from Spain and Germany. Though I guess it is called the Champions League, so only fair that Champions from leagues like Scotland, Azerbaijan, Macedonia etc do get a chance to progress to the play-off or group stage.
Shade
Not very well thought out question: If the Champions League was still just for national champions (and therefore still just the European Cup, I guess, due to a lesser number of teams?), would we be seeing the Spanish, English, French, German and Italian champions reaching the latter stages every single year due to their higher income, or would the champions of other countries get there every now and then like they used to? I know it's complicated, but I guess it comes down to if there was no Champions League, would the top clubs have the money to buy all of the best talent in world football? Would there be a more even spread of top players around Europe? Or would they still be tempted to join the top clubs in England, Spain, etc, but for not too dis-similar wages they'd get playing for Anderlecht, or Steaua Bucharest, or Benfica, or Red Star Belgrade, or Malmo?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting question. I guess with Premier League TV money, Barca/Real TV deals, PSG Qatar government investment and Bayern wealth would means those teams could afford the best players.

But I do reckon teams like those you mention may every now and then get a good group of players who get them to the latter stages of the CL.

Maybe it would end up with more leagues being like Germany or Denmark where Bayern and FCK just buy the best players from the rest of the teams in the league to guarantee being Champions every year.

The interesting thing would be foreign investment. Oligarchs etc may decide that buying a team in England is now more risky as you have to win it rather than get top four, so buying Celtic or Rapid Vienna where buying the title and getting to the Champions League is easy would be more attractive.

This would probably lead to more leagues which become uncompetitive one team (or two team) leagues.
Shade
Good point about the rich foreign owners. In that scenario more of them may have invested closer to home, thinking they have just as good a chance as any. Would be very interesting to see an alternative timeline where the format of the European Cup was never altered. As you say, I'd still expect the biggest clubs such as Real, Barca, Bayern, Man Utd, to be strong.