World Cup draw

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
If we don't come out of that group, we should stop playing the game. Germany have some tough games. Got excited with Spain and Portugal in the same group - then, unfortunately, it became obvious that both were going to come out of their group.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
P!ss easy draw. Columbia or Poland in Rnd 2 will be tougher.

Mexico the only non European or South American team with a chance of getting past the groups in my view. And I think the Swedes will probably do a job on them.
Shade
Our only chance v Belgium is Roberto Martinez. Never been to a major tournament before as a player or manager, we know he gets easily riled up from his time grabbing Jerry Gill (and unfortunately getting away with it). I've heard a couple of pundits liken him to Belgium's last manager Marc Wilmots, and he was seen as absolutely useless - didn't pick the right players or formations, couldn't manage the players egos, and lost to Wales in the QF of Euro '16. Apparently he's already fallen out with Nainggolan and refuses to pick him.

Edit: apparently, he hasn't so much fallen out with Nainggolan as just refuses to pick him as he reckons he's only a No. 10 and would only be 3rd choice, rather than centre-mid where he'd basically played his entire career for Belgium, and has been very popular with fans, before Martinez took over.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Belgium over rated. Should be able to grind out a dire 0-0 against them like all our friendlies this year. And even if we lose, six points will see us through and not much difference between Columbia and Poland in the next round - if we are serious about getting into the latter rounds either should be dispatched.
Shade
Lukaku, Hazard & De Bruyne
v
Kane, Dele & Sterling

Maybe there isn't too much difference there, except Sterling, and it will come down to the defences on the day

Courtois, Kompany, Vertonghen & Alderweireld
v
Hart, Jones, Stones & Cahill

Belgium win.

I agree 1st or 2nd in the group won't make much of a difference but, knowing England, I doubt we'll be on 6 points going into the Belgium game.
asl
I doubt Hart will be first choice come next summer.
Shade
Let's hope not, but I won't be surprised if Southgate continues to go with "experience".