Phil Neville

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Seems such an odd choice for England Women's manager given he has no experience.

After performing so well on the world stage I hope this doesn't lead to a step backwards in performance.
Shade
I just can't see it working. He knows nothing about the women's game, that much has already been confirmed. Danny Mills, co-BBC pundit, said he doesn't think he's ever watched a women's match. Well, he's got a month now to get watching a lot because the first mini-tournament is at the start of March and they're playing the 1st, 2nd and 6th ranked teams in the world. If they put in a poor performance then he's under even more pressure straight away.

And then he has to win the players round. I've only heard one, but Katie Chapman has publicly questioned it. But then, at 35, I doubt she'll be getting a call up anyway.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I guess he will just use the same squad as the last match for the upcoming tournament.
Shade
Which is a bit of a shame as both Mark Sampson and Mo Marley, who know the players and youngsters, had been mixing it up a little since the Euro's and giving a few different players a chance. Obviously, it's not a shame that he'll be picking those players again as they did well and England won the last 3 matches 6-0, 5-0 and 4-0, but it's a shame that maybe any other young players on the verge may not get the same chance. You could say the same about any new manager, but with him knowing virtually nothing about the womens game he certainly won't be going in there knowing that this young player or that experienced player that he's been keeping an eye on are coming good.

Wouldn't be surprised if he has an advisor or two that basically picks the squad for him.
longmover
The FA can't let a member of the class of '92 just slip away, no coincidence this is the same time Giggs is name Wales manager.
asl
I can't wait for the first Wales friendly to see if Giggsy makes it.
Sprout Picker
asl wrote:I can't wait for the first Wales friendly to see if Giggsy makes it.
Are they playing away?