Winter Break

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Premier League considering winter break next time the TV deal is reviewed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42954835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess money talks at the that level and if billion pound business decisions are dependent on a break then we can't stop it.

I just hope it doesn't get passed down to the lower leagues. Christmas and New Year football is one of the best times of the year for me and Clubs like us get bigger gates, and people buying presents from the club shot etc.

It would kill the lower leagues once and for all if the Prem try and force this onto us.
Shade
If they do have a winter break it would make more sense to have it in January, especially when the African Cup of Nations would be on. Although I think that would probably be too late into the month. I know the likes of Pep want the break to be over Christmas when there are so many games, but those games will still have to be squeezed in somewhere and, during Euros or World Cup years especially, the players will then get an even shorter summer break and they'll be moaning about that. It's all part of the reason why Prem players get paid so much, anyway. Like it or sod off. And as for some of the managers dream of reducing the Prem to 18 teams, the same message applies.

The lower leagues would love a winter break for the Prem, I'm sure, as attendances should rise a little as some deluded Prem fans seek their fix elsewhere.
leohoenig
Shade wrote:If they do have a winter break it would make more sense to have it in January, especially when the African Cup of Nations would be on.
Ummm, behind the times. Next African Nations Cup is June 7-30 2019 in Cameroon
Shade
Behind the times :lol: You mean I hadn't heard about a competition I have absolutely no interest in, Glad they've moved it to June, though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I suspect we'll see a Prem 1 and Prem 2 soon. Probably with 16 teams. So the likes of Villa, Derby, Fulham who are dominating the Championship will join PL2 and the going-, nowhere sides like Stoke will finally be demoted from PL1.

Then fewer games, but more games of greater importance as the intra-top 6 games will be a larger proportion of the total and TV companies can show more of these games rather than games like Newcastle vs Palace.

Less chance of expensive valuable assets like De Bruyne being damaged by a West Brom shin-kicker etc so more appealing to top clubs.
longmover
The FA and prem taking the steps to rid themselves of leagues one an two.