Should England go to the World Cup re the nerve agent attack

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ralph
Saw at the weekend that 3 countries (Japan, Australia and Poland) were said to be considering their participation depending on if England went or not.
The Russians are obviously involved as now we find it's one of their nerve agents. Maybe we should refuse to go there. To be honest there is going to be a load of trouble anyway with hooligans from all the usual countries going at it
Shade
Interesting, if it's true, that those 3 countries are waiting to see if we go. I can't see us ever pulling out but interesting that 3 countries would "back us".
Ralph
I can't see us backing out either but it would be a major humiliation for Putin if it did happen. If he didn't know what was happening, he has rogue people in Russia killing for him. They need to go and relook at the cases of all the other Russians killed in the UK in the last 20 years
Btw it's difficult to split England, the WC and the Russians into this and non footy, so I don't have any issue if people want to talk about the attack in Salisbury in this thread
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I would rather pull out of Qatar: more people died as slaves building the stadia than have been killed in tit-for-tat spy neutralisation. Still, maybe Six can make some money teaching Russia how to kill people with untraceable drive bys or mysteriously leaving people in suitcases in a London pad, rather than using blatantly obvious nerve agent like it’s the 60s.
Ralph
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I would rather pull out of Qatar: more people died as slaves building the stadia than have been killed in tit-for-tat spy neutralisation. Still, maybe Six can make some money teaching Russia how to kill people with untraceable drive bys or mysteriously leaving people in suitcases in a London pad, rather than using blatantly obvious nerve agent like it’s the 60s.
yeah I agree the Qatar WC should not be happening. If a WC was bought, it was that one
Ralph
The defence secretary has just told Russia to go away and shut up during a speech in Filton, just saw it on Sky. I read today that there will be gas shortages in Uk inside 2 weeks. The gas is supplied out of Russia. The more this goes on, the more i think England should pull out as we are just 3 months from the WC. UK people will be targeted there
Red Duke
Ralph wrote:The defence secretary has just told Russia to go away and shut up during a speech in Filton, just saw it on Sky. I read today that there will be gas shortages in Uk inside 2 weeks. The gas is supplied out of Russia. The more this goes on, the more i think England should pull out as we are just 3 months from the WC. UK people will be targeted there
I believe only 1% of our gas comes from Russia.
Ralph
Red Duke wrote:
Ralph wrote:The defence secretary has just told Russia to go away and shut up during a speech in Filton, just saw it on Sky. I read today that there will be gas shortages in Uk inside 2 weeks. The gas is supplied out of Russia. The more this goes on, the more i think England should pull out as we are just 3 months from the WC. UK people will be targeted there
I think that figure is pretty low based on what I've read
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:
Impossible to know. Estimation on R4 this morning (from independent experts) is that about 45pc of EU gas import is from Russia, and in turn UK imports ~35pc of its gas from EU. So around 15pc (45pc of 35) of our gas could well be Russian.

What we don’t know is how much of the gas we import from EU is re-sale of Russian import. It might be the particular supplier we use mainly sends us Russian gas, or maybe hardly any at all. So the 15pc is a modelled average.
Shade
If our gas from Russia comes through a EU third party that sends it here, there and everywhere, what can the Ruskies do about it? The can't cut down on the amount of gas they send to the whole of Europe because they don't want it going to the UK?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:If our gas from Russia comes through a EU third party that sends it here, there and everywhere, what can the Ruskies do about it? The can't cut down on the amount of gas they send to the whole of Europe because they don't want it going to the UK?
Precisely. They can do naff all. Anyway, they kept the gas flowing through the height of the Cold War so won’t stop it now.