Safe standing

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
Worrying comments from the Sports Minister, Tracey Crouch, who has rejected any consideration of safe standing into the top two divisions in English football. She even said she wants legislation properly enforced on fans standing in seated areas. Utterly myopic. Please sign the petition below to get this debated in Parliament.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207040" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kora
Everyone sign this petition and show Crouch she is totally out of step with football fans and reality. I can see serious trouble at some grounds if they try and force fans to sit down. Can't remember the Kop sitting even when the legislation was first introduced. Hillsborough had nothing to do with terracing but was caused by cages and police stupidity.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Agree.
longmover
But quite happy for leagues 1 and 2 to stand (i know the numbers aren't the same but still). I seem to remember the government getting 'very involved' in telling team sky what they had been doing wrong, funny eh?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Government ‘at war with fans’ say the FSF.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43832443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately it is a losing battle by fans I fear. Listening to evidence and doing something which helps not harms the majority of normal people are two things the current government have an aversion to. I am sure as far as T Crouch is concerned we are just scum who could only be trusted to stand up in a food bank queue and no amount of evidence on safety improvements and support from within the game will change her ideological dogma.
kora
Petition now signed by over 98,600; get it over the 100k and parliament have to debate it. The success of safe standing at Celtic and several clubs in the Bundesliga would at least make the debate worthwhile.
Shade
I think the best argument for safe standing is to look at the Liverpool game last night. They have seats but most were standing anyway and when Roma scored their second the fans were falling all over the place. If they had safe standing then they wouldn't have been.
Shade
It's got the 100,000
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43899649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I think the best argument for safe standing is to look at the Liverpool game last night. They have seats but most were standing anyway and when Roma scored their second the fans were falling all over the place. If they had safe standing then they wouldn't have been.
A few times I have been at Prem games where seating have been impossible. Most notably White Hart Lane where my friend who was a Spurs fan would get tickets but rarely possible to get two next to each other. Invariably every row would have a few empty seats so at HT either she or I would join the other one intending to use an empty. But others would have the same idea and in the second half there would be about 12 or 13 of us standing for every ten seats. The stewards would make their cursory walk up the stairs telling people to sit down but obviously without enough seats for everyone we would all ignore the steward who took no further action.