Liverpool

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
great performance, but it is amazing they are moaning about the Roma fans - yet only a few weeks ago the Man City bus was attacked by Liverpool fans
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Very true though some (not saying I do) will argue that an excited crowd throwing some beer bottles and cans at a large multi-tonne bus knowing it won’t harm any humans is not as bad as actively taking a hammer out with you to cause as much injury as you can.

As for the return leg, any Liverpool fans who encounter trouble will only do so if they ignore advice and go looking for it.

I went to Rome with Fulham. Armed guards greeted us off the fans club charter flight (left Gatwick 6am). Cue those who came mainly for shopping and to escape the drab weather pose for some photos. A bus / coach laid on for us took us to the Villa Borghese Park.

Club police liaison person gave us precise instructions; we had to be back in the Borghese, where we were dropped off, at 1500hrs (1945 kick off). Under no circumstances should we attempt to walk to the ground independently and not on a bus. If we did walk to the ground, either via the bridge controlled by Roma extremists or that controlled by Lazio extremists, then we would be lucky to make it through unharmed and the police would not do anything.

So off I strolled, down the Spanish Steps, to the Colloseum, up to the Pantheon and the Trevi. Walked through the marble shopping area. Back to the park to eat my pizza and gelato at 3pm.

Gradually over the next hour all the club coaches arrived, as did buses put on by the Italian Police for those who travelled independently but were still ordered to go to the park.

Our area of the park locked down and kettled. We couldn’t leave. You couldn’t enter our zone without a Fulham match ticket . Eventually they extended the police cordon to include a cafe and toilets, fed up and surprised how many people needed to drink and p!## when when stuck in a warm park for hours.

Eventually about 1730 we set off in convoy. Thirty or more coaches / buses in total. Two armed police vans and a car at both front and back of the convoy. Police motorbikes alongside and in between the buses. Was it for our own safety or the safety or Rome? Were we VIPs or criminals?

Most spectacular was when we joined the motorway; rush hour in Rome means a lot of traffic. Yet just before our slip road the police had closed four lanes of traffic. As we cruised on to the empty motorway without slowing down I could see the backlog of stationary traffic building up whilst our convoy all got on the motorway. It was then essentially a rolling road block. The cars ahead had to stay in front of the outriders. The cars behind weren’t allowed to overtake the police vehicles at the back of the convoy. We were then taken into a secure compound by the ground, police sliding open the gates so the buses could enter without stopping. Once all in and gates locked we disembarked and were led by police along a wide walkway / pathway enclosed by massive metal fences and a cage roof in places. Through the antiquated turnstiles into the crumbling stadium. Sub-Saharan immigrants acting as a middle man to the canteen; they walked around with a basket of water bottle, Coke cans, etc and for 50 cents or a Euro saved you the bother of going to the canteen. Don’t know if they were paid and employed or if the club sell them the goods and the have to sell them on to make money.

After the game, kept inside the ground for an hour. Presumably whilst the police dealt with the Roma extremists. Back out to the bus compound under guard. Those of us on the charter fight just got back on the same bus to go direct to their airport.

Others had different instructions. Independent travellers going by plane had to get on buses to go to whichever airport. Those going to hotels had to get buses to the city centre. All set off in mini convoys.

Eventually back to Gatwick for the 2am train. Took a cab back to Holloway Road from London Bridge, where despite all that had gone on that day the thing which tickled me most in the last 24 hours took place. A proper Saaath Londoner, Palace fan, upon learning I had been watching Fulham said “what’s a Fulham fan doing in Norf London? I could never move up there and leave my family in Saath London.”

(Police effort worth it as we avoided making this list:

“In 2001, six Liverpool fans were stabbed around a UEFA Cup tie in Rome.

In 2006, three Middlesbrough fans were stabbed in the same city when attending a UEFA Cup tie.

A year later, five Manchester United fans were stabbed before a Champions League group game.

In 2009, a bus of Arsenal supporters was ambushed by Roma fans - they smashed the windows, stopped the bus, and one fan got on board and stabbed an English fan. Two months later, the Stadio Olimpico held the Champions League final.

In 2012, a Spurs fan received treatment for stab wounds following an assault by Roma fans.

And last year, Chelsea fans drinking in an Irish bar were attacked by masked Roma fans wielding metal bars.“

https://www.balls.ie/amp/football/uefa- ... oma-387696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Very true though some (not saying I do) will argue that an excited crowd throwing some beer bottles and cans at a large multi-tonne bus knowing it won’t harm any humans is not as bad as actively taking a hammer out with you to cause as much injury as you can.

As for the return leg, any Liverpool fans who encounter trouble will only do so if they ignore advice and go looking for it.

I went to Rome with Fulham. Armed guards greeted us off the fans club charter flight (left Gatwick 6am). Cue those who came mainly for shopping and to escape the drab weather pose for some photos. A bus / coach laid on for us took us to the Villa Borghese Park.

Club police liaison person gave us precise instructions; we had to be back in the Borghese, where we were dropped off, at 1500hrs (1945 kick off). Under no circumstances should we attempt to walk to the ground independently and not on a bus. If we did walk to the ground, either via the bridge controlled by Roma extremists or that controlled by Lazio extremists, then we would be lucky to make it through unharmed and the police would not do anything.

So off I strolled, down the Spanish Steps, to the Colloseum, up to the Pantheon and the Trevi. Walked through the marble shopping area. Back to the park to eat my pizza and gelato at 3pm.

Gradually over the next hour all the club coaches arrived, as did buses put on by the Italian Police for those who travelled independently but were still ordered to go to the park.

Our area of the park locked down and kettled. We couldn’t leave. You couldn’t enter our zone without a Fulham match ticket . Eventually they extended the police cordon to include a cafe and toilets, fed up and surprised how many people needed to drink and p!## when when stuck in a warm park for hours.

Eventually about 1730 we set off in convoy. Thirty or more coaches / buses in total. Two armed police vans and a car at both front and back of the convoy. Police motorbikes alongside and in between the buses. Was it for our own safety or the safety or Rome? Were we VIPs or criminals?

Most spectacular was when we joined the motorway; rush hour in Rome means a lot of traffic. Yet just before our slip road the police had closed four lanes of traffic. As we cruised on to the empty motorway without slowing down I could see the backlog of stationary traffic building up whilst our convoy all got on the motorway. It was then essentially a rolling road block. The cars ahead had to stay in front of the outriders. The cars behind weren’t allowed to overtake the police vehicles at the back of the convoy. We were then taken into a secure compound by the ground, police sliding open the gates so the buses could enter without stopping. Once all in and gates locked we disembarked and were led by police along a wide walkway / pathway enclosed by massive metal fences and a cage roof in places. Through the antiquated turnstiles into the crumbling stadium. Sub-Saharan immigrants acting as a middle man to the canteen; they walked around with a basket of water bottle, Coke cans, etc and for 50 cents or a Euro saved you the bother of going to the canteen. Don’t know if they were paid and employed or if the club sell them the goods and the have to sell them on to make money.

After the game, kept inside the ground for an hour. Presumably whilst the police dealt with the Roma extremists. Back out to the bus compound under guard. Those of us on the charter fight just got back on the same bus to go direct to their airport.

Others had different instructions. Independent travellers going by plane had to get on buses to go to whichever airport. Those going to hotels had to get buses to the city centre. All set off in mini convoys.

Eventually back to Gatwick for the 2am train. Took a cab back to Holloway Road from London Bridge, where despite all that had gone on that day the thing which tickled me most in the last 24 hours took place. A proper Saaath Londoner, Palace fan, upon learning I had been watching Fulham said “what’s a Fulham fan doing in Norf London? I could never move up there and leave my family in Saath London.”

(Police effort worth it as we avoided making this list:

“In 2001, six Liverpool fans were stabbed around a UEFA Cup tie in Rome.

In 2006, three Middlesbrough fans were stabbed in the same city when attending a UEFA Cup tie.

A year later, five Manchester United fans were stabbed before a Champions League group game.

In 2009, a bus of Arsenal supporters was ambushed by Roma fans - they smashed the windows, stopped the bus, and one fan got on board and stabbed an English fan. Two months later, the Stadio Olimpico held the Champions League final.

In 2012, a Spurs fan received treatment for stab wounds following an assault by Roma fans.

And last year, Chelsea fans drinking in an Irish bar were attacked by masked Roma fans wielding metal bars.“

https://www.balls.ie/amp/football/uefa- ... oma-387696" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
If they’re so bad, they should be kicked out of football.
Axford
It's called double standards, also hypocrisy. We're all guilty of that sometimes. Roma fans are hardcore though. They don't mess around. Rome's other team, Lazio, has got even crazier supporters.