Bilbao

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

leohoenig
An article on how the problems of Bilbao differ from other clubs
Despite a mention of an ex-Cheltenham loanee, I do not think this can go to CTFC section

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/spor ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incidentally, is Yuri Berchiche the most expensive player ever to wear a Cheltenham shirt?
Ralph
Good read. Thanks Leo.
Chris FGR
Be interesting if something similar was in place at clubs over here, it would definitely lead to far more focus on grassroots facilities and coaching in the local communities. Would be quite proud to see a side entirely made up of Shire lads competing in the EFL. Unfortunately don't think the talent pool is there for that to happen anytime soon though.
leohoenig
The nearest I can think of, has been attempts to run an all Islanders team for the Isle of Wight
Such attempts are stymied by competition from other island clubs, and the fact that some island players choose to play for mainland clubs.

Generally, I do not think any succesful side in the Southern or Wessex Leagues has been all-islanders, (but I stand to be corrected)
kora
I seem to remember reading the Celtic team that won the European Cup in 1967 was made up of players who all came from within a few miles of their ground; hard to imagine a team achieve similar with players from the same continent now.