UEFA Europa Conference League

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

leohoenig
The committee at UEFA, looking for the silliest name they could come up with for their new competition have made a good effort, although I am sure sillier name do exist.

For the three year cycle, 2021-24 we will have this competition, with the number of groups in the Europa League dropped from 12 to 8 so as there will be 32 teams in the group stage of three European competitions

The number of places for each league in competition does not change. This provisional plan is likely to be close to the final allocation

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/files/2021-24 ... s-list.pdf

Hence, for England the top four will go direct to the group stage of the Champions League, the next two to the Europa League groups stage (which I expect to inlcude the FA Cup winners, when they are not in the top four), and the 7th club into the Conference play-off round. I have heard the League Cup may lose its European qualification - that is a League/FA decision, not a UEFA one.

One positive is that a minimum of 34 league champions will now be entered into the group stages of the various competions.

14 of these will be in the Champions League, 4 in Europa League and 5 in the Conference league, with a further 11 in the final play-offs between Europa League and Conference League. (As there are ten games at that stage, it is between 1 and 10 in each direction).

A few teams will have the chance to get knocked out of three competitions in the qualifying stages. To do this, they must lose in the Champions League in the Second Qualifying Round and the Europa League in the Third Qualifying round, a situation that leaves them in the final "play-off" round of the Conference League. There will be eight clubs with this "opportunity", Five will be League champions, coming up against other League champions, while the other three would be runners up in leagues ranked 10-15, (currently Ukraine, Turkey, Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark and Greece).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The wiki page with the country coefficient table shows how many from each league will enter each of the competitions:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_co ... oefficient" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Generally a fascinating table anyway. I check after each round of games.