Gloucester City...

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
https://youtu.be/wHEl8sYKN2Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just seen. Crikey. This time last year City were storming it and FGR were flailing with Cooper and the contest to be the second highest team in Gloucestershire was live. A good managerial appointment by FGR and a dodgy one by Gloucester and the two look worlds apart.

Still time to make the playoffs though if the Tigers can turn it around soon.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good news for Gloucester.

Whereas last season they lost out due to the pandemic necessitating the league was stopped when they were top, this season the rule changes mean only one team goes down. Even though they are bottom currently, with their strength I can’t see them having to worry about relegation now.

Swings and roundabouts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59136223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andrew GCAFC Fan
Went to watch Gloucester City AFC get a 2 - 0 victory against Farsley Celtic at New Meadow Park. You can see a difference to the team since Lee Mansell and Daffyd Williams took charge. Made some good experiences signings in Ben Nugent from Barnet, Ben Herring from Bath City and Dejon Noel Williams from Hemel Hempstead.
I liked Paul Groves, but it just did not seem to be working for him at the start of this season. He went through preseason unbeaten. The Classic saying, you can't go by preseason results to gauge how well you will do in the season.
The crowds have been good at New Meadow Park so far this season. Two home games we had, Gloucester Rugby were at home as well, with the same kick off time as us.
With one team getting relegated from the National League North and South, I feel we have a strong enough squad to pull away from the bottom.
Lee Mansell is staying till the end of the season. He appears to have plenty of ideas, like what he has to say in his interviews.
Darlington away next Saturday. Hopefully we can build on the Farsley Celtic result.
Andrew GCAFC Fan
Sorry, I meant Ben Gerring. Our ex manager James Rowe currently top of the National League with Chesterfield. Noticed only one of our ex players, Alex Whittle played. George Carline, Gavin Gunning and Akwasi Asante not in the squad. But Asante has been out with a long term injury.
Chesterfield beat Weymouth 4 - 0 at home. Weymouth had an ex GCAFC player. Defender Ben Morgan was in defence.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote:Went to watch Gloucester City AFC get a 2 - 0 victory against Farsley Celtic at New Meadow Park. You can see a difference to the team since Lee Mansell and Daffyd Williams took charge. Made some good experiences signings in Ben Nugent from Barnet, Ben Herring from Bath City and Dejon Noel Williams from Hemel Hempstead.
I liked Paul Groves, but it just did not seem to be working for him at the start of this season. He went through preseason unbeaten. The Classic saying, you can't go by preseason results to gauge how well you will do in the season.
The crowds have been good at New Meadow Park so far this season. Two home games we had, Gloucester Rugby were at home as well, with the same kick off time as us.
With one team getting relegated from the National League North and South, I feel we have a strong enough squad to pull away from the bottom.
Lee Mansell is staying till the end of the season. He appears to have plenty of ideas, like what he has to say in his interviews.
Darlington away next Saturday. Hopefully we can build on the Farsley Celtic result.
Sounds like Mansell has turned it around. With relegation no longer a concern it is time to focus on building for a promotion push next season?

And yes, pre-season games are just training sessions some people are daft enough to pay to watch, so the results are as irrelevant as they are meaningless. Don’t judge Mansell on pre-season 2022!
Andrew GCAFC Fan
I would not say that relegation is no longer an issue. We are off the bottom, but we are still in the mix. Quite tight at the moment with Blyth Spartans, us, AFC Telford Utd down there. Any team towards the bottom can win matches, Southport who were bottom have been winning, likewise Hereford FC have been winning. We need to build on last weekends result.
Next season the North and South league's are expanding to 24 Clubs. Will make the league stronger than it is.
As far as a Promotion push goes, difficult to say. I thought before the start of this season, maybe get a place in the play offs. (Maybe a late push for that). Long term the aim is hopefully promotion. The National League North is a tough league, ex league Clubs:- York City, Boston United, Kidderminster Harriers, Hereford FC, Darlington. Plus you have teams such as AFC Fylde, AFC Telford Utd and Brackley Town, who are good teams in this division.
When I was watching GCAFC during exile, we were managing to compete in this league with one of the lowest wage bills. We were playing Fleetwood Town at Cirencester Town, the wage bills were worlds apart.
But now back at Gloucester, we are having good crowds. Last season seemed to be the start of something special, but that was behind closed doors, manager left, then the season was Null and Void. Hope long term for promotion, in the past experienced heartbreak in 1996/97, so I am in hope more than expectation.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote:I would not say that relegation is no longer an issue. We are off the bottom, but we are still in the mix. Quite tight at the moment with Blyth Spartans, us, AFC Telford Utd down there. Any team towards the bottom can win matches, Southport who were bottom have been winning, likewise Hereford FC have been winning. We need to build on last weekends result.
Next season the North and South league's are expanding to 24 Clubs. Will make the league stronger than it is.
As far as a Promotion push goes, difficult to say. I thought before the start of this season, maybe get a place in the play offs. (Maybe a late push for that). Long term the aim is hopefully promotion. The National League North is a tough league, ex league Clubs:- York City, Boston United, Kidderminster Harriers, Hereford FC, Darlington. Plus you have teams such as AFC Fylde, AFC Telford Utd and Brackley Town, who are good teams in this division.
When I was watching GCAFC during exile, we were managing to compete in this league with one of the lowest wage bills. We were playing Fleetwood Town at Cirencester Town, the wage bills were worlds apart.
But now back at Gloucester, we are having good crowds. Last season seemed to be the start of something special, but that was behind closed doors, manager left, then the season was Null and Void. Hope long term for promotion, in the past experienced heartbreak in 1996/97, so I am in hope more than expectation.
Ah yes. 1997. The rest is history as they say.
Andrew GCAFC Fan
The Adie Mings, Dale Watkins strike partnership to be replaced by Jason Eaton, Dale Watkins. I watched Lee Howells, Darren Wright, plus two others giving there thoughts on 1996/97. They talked about the Derby Matches, about Adie Mings being a handful up front, and Jon Holloway constant talking. I think your midfield was more creative, we had Chris Burns, David Webb, (the creative player) and Simon Cooper.
With the Derby match at Whaddon Road, Dale Watkins was on the bench as he arrived late being held up in traffic driving from Peterborough.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Looks like the Spartans have got the sole relegation space sewn up. Their position as Northumberland’s highest place team will be up for grabs next season.

What will City do now Andrew? Pressure is off so a chance to be expansive and open up?
Andrew GCAFC Fan
The pressure is not off yet, hopefully when we are ten points clear off the bottom then yes, the pressure will hopefully be off.
At the start of the season, the defence looked a bit lightweight. Lee Mansell has addressed that by signing defenders with experience. When we get Dejon Noel Williams and Matt McClure back to full fitness, we will be more of a threat up front. Also need to get Tommy O Sullivan and Kevin Dawson playing together more regularly. Would be happy with a Top Ten finish.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
[quote="Andrew GCAFC Fan"]The pressure is not off yet, hopefully when we are ten points clear off the bottom then yes, the pressure will hopefully be off.
At the start of the season, the defence looked a bit lightweight. Lee Mansell has addressed that by signing defenders with experience. When we get Dejon Noel Williams and Matt McClure back to full fitness, we will be more of a threat up front. Also need to get Tommy O Sullivan and Kevin Dawson playing together more regularly. Would be happy with a Top Ten finish.[/quote]

Blyth are gone. No one else need worry.
longmover
Gone part time, what's the money issue?
Si Robin
Going hybrid not necessarily part-time.

I don't think it is money as much as realising that there's better talent playing part-time than full-time at NLN level. To use Cheltenham's example from when we won promotion to the Football League in 1999 - would we have rather had Jason Eaton or Chris Freestone playing League football with us? Freestone was a full-time player playing near the bottom, Eaton was part-time playing at the top of his echelon and they crossed when Cheltenham got promoted. I'd bet a pound to a penny that Eaton would have scored more goals in Division 3 for us than Freestone did.

It's actually a common sense move by City.
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 09:37 Going hybrid not necessarily part-time.

I don't think it is money as much as realising that there's better talent playing part-time than full-time at NLN level. To use Cheltenham's example from when we won promotion to the Football League in 1999 - would we have rather had Jason Eaton or Chris Freestone playing League football with us? Freestone was a full-time player playing near the bottom, Eaton was part-time playing at the top of his echelon and they crossed when Cheltenham got promoted. I'd bet a pound to a penny that Eaton would have scored more goals in Division 3 for us than Freestone did.

It's actually a common sense move by City.
fair points, I suppose if FT is working then why not. I disagree with the Jason Eaton comment though, even in 1999 he was far too immobile for league football.
asl
Eaton would've struggled to make an impact as much as Super Dale did, IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Having a good part time player on less money and playing for love of the game is surely better than paying big money (by NLN) standard for players like Kevin Dawson.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lee Mansell is not happy. Laying into the players here pretty full on.

http://severnsport.co.uk/im-fed-up-with ... eat-again/
bigdavejambo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 21:32
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote:The pressure is not off yet, hopefully when we are ten points clear off the bottom then yes, the pressure will hopefully be off.
At the start of the season, the defence looked a bit lightweight. Lee Mansell has addressed that by signing defenders with experience. When we get Dejon Noel Williams and Matt McClure back to full fitness, we will be more of a threat up front. Also need to get Tommy O Sullivan and Kevin Dawson playing together more regularly. Would be happy with a Top Ten finish.

Blyth are gone. No one else need worry

changed their manager to excellent effect
Andrew GCAFC Fan
Exciting times off the field for Gloucester City AFC. This week, we announced a 3 year deal with Kit Suppliers Kappa. Today we have a New Stadium Sponsor. For the next 3 years, the Stadium will be known as the 'TigerTurf Stadium'.
We will have reports from the Johnny Rocks, Inococent New Lawn? and TigerTurf Stadium.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 18:30 Exciting times off the field for Gloucester City AFC. This week, we announced a 3 year deal with Kit Suppliers Kappa. Today we have a New Stadium Sponsor. For the next 3 years, the Stadium will be known as the 'TigerTurf Stadium'.
We will have reports from the Johnny Rocks, Inococent New Lawn? and TigerTurf Stadium.
Promotion push next season? With FGR and CTFC both in L1, it feels important that you get a promotion or two yourselves.
Andrew GCAFC Fan
Gloucester City AFC SAFE from Relagation. Last Home Game, beat Hereford FC 1 - 0, crowd of 2,800 odd. Last weekend, got a 1 - 1 draw at York City's New Stadium, crowd of 3,000+. Your ex player, Kevin Dawson, scoring the equaliser, a 90th minute penalty.
Three league games remain, Chorley {H), Boston United (A, New Stadium), and Blyth Spartans (H).
Lee Mansell and Daffyd Williams have done well in managing the team, taking over from Paul Groves.
We have a nucleus of a team. The loan players will return to there Parent Clubs, (Dylan Barkers to Cheltenham Town). Be a few new faces in the team next season.
Crowds have been good at the TigerTurf Stadium this season, good considering we are around 15th? If we were in the play off positions, crowds could be higher.
Eventful season's for Gloucestershire Clubs. You are Safe/competing in League One. FGR up in League One, New Stadium coming up, Cirencester Town lost in the play offs. We escape Relagation.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote: 28 Apr 2022, 09:16 Gloucester City AFC SAFE from Relagation. Last Home Game, beat Hereford FC 1 - 0, crowd of 2,800 odd. Last weekend, got a 1 - 1 draw at York City's New Stadium, crowd of 3,000+. Your ex player, Kevin Dawson, scoring the equaliser, a 90th minute penalty.
Three league games remain, Chorley {H), Boston United (A, New Stadium), and Blyth Spartans (H).
Lee Mansell and Daffyd Williams have done well in managing the team, taking over from Paul Groves.
We have a nucleus of a team. The loan players will return to there Parent Clubs, (Dylan Barkers to Cheltenham Town). Be a few new faces in the team next season.
Crowds have been good at the TigerTurf Stadium this season, good considering we are around 15th? If we were in the play off positions, crowds could be higher.
Eventful season's for Gloucestershire Clubs. You are Safe/competing in League One. FGR up in League One, New Stadium coming up, Cirencester Town lost in the play offs. We escape Relagation.
How’s the hybrid full-time/part-time model shaping up?
Andrew GCAFC Fan
Gloucester City AFC, finish there National League North campaign, with a 2 - 2 draw against Blyth Spartans, at the TigerTurf Stadium. Lee Mansell and Daffyd Williams have done well, since taking over from Paul Groves.
Saturday's game with our opponents from the North East, saw a crowd of 1,700+. Blyth brought down around 100, (some in Fancy Dress). We have been getting good home crowds this season, scary to think what we could get if we were in the Play off Positions all season. We attracted good crowds, while being around the bottom part of the league.
Lee Mansell is already making changes, five are on the way out. The loans players have gone back to there Parent Clubs. Dylan Barkers impressed me, unfortunately for him, he wasn't able to get much game time at the end. We had to get a goalkeeper in on loan, we had six loan players, you can only play five?
Be interesting to see what players come in. Hopefully exciting times next season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
All change at City as Alex Petherham says he is closing the cheque book (or Apple Wallet in this day and age) and stepping down at the end of the season.

https://www.gloucestercityafc.com/post/ ... -step-down

Things did look to be going well from the outside - on the cusp of play offs, a top manager, settling in to the new ground.

Hopefully any new investors who come forward can kick on again.
paperboy
An informative interview here by Radio Glos with AP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0dsf ... are-mobile

Have one potential buyer plus a fan led consortium waiting in the wings.
Sincerely hope it works out for the club and emphasises how fortunate we are at ctfc to have had a stable board for so many years.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
New Chairman announced who will take over in the Summer. Current Hungerford Town Chairman and he will step down from them before taking up the Gloucester role.

Could work out very well for them so good luck to them.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 17:41 New Chairman announced who will take over in the Summer. Current Hungerford Town Chairman and he will step down from them before taking up the Gloucester role.

Let's hope so.
Another chapter in City's roller coaster ride , but personally I'd rather have the oh so dull life following the Robins.
SHANDY VOR
I have a really good feeling about this.

A good appointment at the right time can take clubs over the line, as you lot will appreciate with Paul Baker. Quietly respected by many City fans. Structured your club, brought in the right people who brought in the right players, who got the right results.

But personally I'd rather have the not oh so dull life following the Tigers
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 22:19 I have a really good feeling about this.

A good appointment at the right time can take clubs over the line, as you lot will appreciate with Paul Baker. Quietly respected by many City fans. Structured your club, brought in the right people who brought in the right players, who got the right results.

But personally I'd rather have the not oh so dull life following the Tigers
Out of interest, how does the new set up work?
Is the Chairman putting in money as an investor?
Does he also have a day job like CTFC’s Chairman?
Who is the owner, if the new guy is just a Chair?
Is there a Board?
ctfc-fan
Apparently it’s Paul Scally buying it with Steve Evans as manager and Steve Yems as assistant…..
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Almost in the play offs I see. Seems like this manager is doing a good job.
Ralph
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 17:41 New Chairman announced who will take over in the Summer. Current Hungerford Town Chairman and he will step down from them before taking up the Gloucester role.

Hungerford are bottom of the National South. This doesn't sound great for City to me
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote: 06 Feb 2023, 16:45

Hungerford are bottom of the National South. This doesn't sound great for City to me
By all accounts it is a miracle Hungerford are even at that level rather than two or three below. It seems the Chair is well regarded for keeping them competitive at that club - with such small gates in such a small town - for so long.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Gloucester currently only outside the playoffs on goal difference. Could be just one league below FGR next season!