208 to 1. The Countdown to the 2014 World Cup.

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
25. Japan

24. Cote d'Ivoire
leohoenig
23. Iran
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Praying that 22 is Switzerland.
leohoenig
Prayers not answered - but why waste prayers against the Swiss?

22. Honduras
21. Ecuador
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:Prayers not answered - but why waste prayers against the Swiss?
True - money is the only thing which influences them.
leohoenig
20. Ghana
19. Portugal
leohoenig
18. South Korea
17. Russia

For the second World Cup in a row, European participation has been reduced by more than 50% in the group stage. There are just six European teams left, the same as in the last 16 in South Africa.
Five out of six South Americans have made it through, while in South Africa, the five South Americans made up 100% of their original continent.
The other five this time around are three from Concacaf (USA, Mexico and Costa Rica), two from Africa (Nigeria and Algeria)
Last time two Asians made it to the second round (both S. Korea and Japan), with just Ghana from Africa, plus USA and Mexico.

In 2010, the 6 Europeans were drawn in three pairs so as only three Europeans could be in the semi-finals - but no European lost a knock out game to a non-European. Ghana made the second round (with a win over USA), but lost on penalties to Uruguay.
The only other penalty shoot out saw Paraguay beat Japan

This time, the six Europeans are kept apart, so there could be six in the quarter finals, or there could be none. Four of the five South Americans are drawn together, with the winner of Brazil v Chile playing the winner of Uruguay v Columbia in the quarter final. The fifth is Argentina, who can only meet South American opposition in the Final.

My feelings
Tomorrow - the all South American day. Brazil will be clear favourites, and I cannot see them failing against Chile. Uruguay v Columbia should be closer, but my money would be on Columbia
Sunday - The interesting game is Netherlands v Mexico. Both these teams may be considered as "Dark Horses", with the winner expected to make it to the semi-final. Costa Rica v Greece provides the quarter final opponents for Netherlands or Mexico, and many may feel this is a close call. Both have suprised a few in getting this far.
Monday - Europe v Africa, and one must fancy the Europeans to go through in both cases. France and Germany have been the most impressive European sides so far, and should provide an interesting match up if they meet in the quarter finals.
Tuesday - Argentina v Switzerland. I think the Swiss have enough in the locker to make sure Argentina know they are in a game. Argentina seem to rely on their superstar, but have plenty of good players in the team. Belgium v USA, this is the interesting one. Belgium appear to be a stellar line up, but have not really clicked so far, struggling to impose their will but winning every game (what we would do for that in England). The USA are more organised and more difficult to break down than in the past.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good summary Leo. I think Chile might make it a very close game. Looking forward to Belgium vs USA, should be end to end at times.

Great performance by the North American teams.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Good summary Leo. I think Chile might make it a very close game. Looking forward to Belgium vs USA, should be end to end at times.

Columbia to win, money on last week
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Good summary Leo. I think Chile might make it a very close game. Looking forward to Belgium vs USA, should be end to end at times.

Well I said it was one to look forward to and be end to end and bloody hell was it worth staying up for. A cracker. Best of the cup.

Shame for the USA. Unbelievable effort and play.
leohoenig
and for the record, in case anyone has not been paying attention

16. Chile
15. Uruguay
14. Mexico
13. Greece
12. Nigeria
11. Algeria
10. Switzerland
9. USA
leohoenig
And finally.

8. France
7. Columbia
6. Belgium
5. Costa Rica
4. Brazil
3. Netherlands
2. Argentina
1. Germany
asl
Good thread, Leo!
leohoenig
Thought for the year.
209 to 1. The Countdown to the 2018 World Cup can start next month with the draw for the first round in Asia.
First matches are due to be played on 12 and 17 March in Asia.

The Oceania preliminary round - a single venue round robin which sees three teams out of American Samoa, Samoa, Tonga and the Cook Islands also takes place in March. Oceania is using the same competition as its Nations Cup and World Cup qualifying, so the three losers only play these games, and their Pacific games matchs in July - before being almost dormant for the next four years.

CONCACAF are expected to play their first round (also knock out) using dates at the end of March