Net Migration Greatly Soars.

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Net migration to UK reaches 318,000 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32816454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
History recalls how great the fall can be
While everybody's sleeping, the boats put out to sea
Borne on the wings of time
It seemed the answers were so easy to find
"Too late," the prophets (profits) cry
The island's sinking, let's take to the sky
Joey
13% of the "immigrants" who arrived in Britain last year were British citizens who had been living overseas.
Shade
So 87% weren't. Shocking.
Joey
Shade wrote:So 87% weren't. Shocking.
The point I was trying to make was that someone such as Mal is happy to mark everyone in these net migration as immigrants who can't speak English and are going to take everything you own.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey wrote:
Shade wrote:So 87% weren't. Shocking.
The point I was trying to make was that someone such as Mal is happy to mark everyone in these net migration as immigrants who can't speak English and are going to take everything you own.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... oss-the-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
That's great. But there is something people that do these campaigns keep missing and can't seem to understand; it's not the working immigrants that do good work that are the problem. It is not the people who flee here under political asylum. It is the people who come here for the wrong reasons. In my line of work I deal with lots of immigrants of one sort or another. I know nurses and care workers that have come over from various African countries. I know Polish people that run their own businesses. I know Chinese that are bringing a lot of money with them and back into the country.

I also know Italians who try to lie and cheat our benefit system by falsifying paperwork. I know other Africans that rack up a ton of debt with no intention of ever paying and then disappear to do it to somebody else. I know Libyans that have turned flats into drug dens, with couches full of used needles. Where are the posters for them? We have enough English people/drains on society in this country that do that, we don't need more from other countries. This is why an Australian style system is required.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We all have anecdotes Shade, but people should deal in fact. From November last year, but not much has changed:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... efits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I agree that the proposals to restrict benefits to EU migrants are needed and hope Cameron negotiates this. But in my eyes a overcrowded condemned boat full of desperate peop people fleeing trauma I couldn't imagine and paying gangs their life savings for the privilege isn't about whether we can save 0.1% of treasury spending or not, it is about whether we send starving people back to the godforsaken lands to be at the mercy of ISIS, militias and famine and disease it is about what we can do to use our privileged position to make the world a better place.
Shade
So you're calling me a liar?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:So you're calling me a liar?
No, sorry, not my point at all. I didn't word it very well.

The point was, yes we all have anecdotes - i.e. examples and experiences of unique instances - but that doesn't mean we should generalise or assume that's the macro-level picture.

So yes you know Libyan's who turned a flat into a crack and heroin den - but that doesn't mean that all the other Libyan's fleeing terror and persecution are going to do the same.

Someone called Frank might be on disability benefits when he shouldn't be - doesn't mean we should round up every disabled person called Frank and turf them out on the street with no money or support.
Shade
I'm not really disagreeing with you RCS, but you seem to have read something that I didn't write. My "anecdotes" in no way indicated that I think all Libyans, or particular nationalities, do or would. That is why there were several "anecdotes" about people from different countries, including other Africans, that are both good and bad. I also mentioned people who come here for the wrong reasons and people that come for the right reasons, so you're not really telling me anything that I haven't already stated. My "anecdotes" say that some (ok, most) immigrants are good, some are bad, the same as some (ok, most) British are good and some British are bad. The point is we have enough British that are bad and in trouble that we have to look after as they're our own and we're responsible for them that we can't keep taking more and more from other countries.
Daveangel
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Someone called Frank might be on disability benefits when he shouldn't be - doesn't mean we should round up every disabled person called Frank and turf them out on the street with no money or support.
We could give it a go?
Joey
Shade wrote:That's great. But there is something people that do these campaigns keep missing and can't seem to understand; it's not the working immigrants that do good work that are the problem. It is not the people who flee here under political asylum. It is the people who come here for the wrong reasons. In my line of work I deal with lots of immigrants of one sort or another. I know nurses and care workers that have come over from various African countries. I know Polish people that run their own businesses. I know Chinese that are bringing a lot of money with them and back into the country.

I also know Italians who try to lie and cheat our benefit system by falsifying paperwork. I know other Africans that rack up a ton of debt with no intention of ever paying and then disappear to do it to somebody else. I know Libyans that have turned flats into drug dens, with couches full of used needles. Where are the posters for them? We have enough English people/drains on society in this country that do that, we don't need more from other countries. This is why an Australian style system is required.
I know somebody with blonde hair who cheats the benefit system, this had lead me to believe we should ban blonde people. The people with the brown hair are already enough of a drain on our society, we don't need more from people with different hair colours.
Shade
Wow. I didn't realise you were such a tool.
Daveangel
Do you not log on much Shadey?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Daveangel wrote:

We could give it a go?
Note to Whaddon Rd stewards - keep Daveangel away from the wheelchair section on matchdays.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Wow. I didn't realise you were such a tool.
Ooh I assume you're blonde then! Happy to dish it out but can't take it. Always the same with those who fail to check their privilege.
Malabus
Joey wrote:I know somebody with blonde hair who cheats the benefit system, this had lead me to believe we should ban blonde people. The people with the brown hair are already enough of a drain on our society, we don't need more from people with different hair colours.

You're just a bitter ginger.
Ralph

The point was, yes we all have anecdotes - i.e. examples and experiences of unique instances - .

:lol: "anecdotes"? "unique instances? really? :lol:

You may know how to cut and paste google and have a few qualifications but your real life experiences are pretty lacking
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph, I am not sure you have any idea of my life or experiences so please stop with your patronising and insensitive accusations.

In addition I would imagine that, in addition to these experiences, through my work and that of friends and family in various 'on the ground' jobs in charities and policy and such like I have a far greater knowledge of what is happening on the streets of Britain than you do from the other side of the Atlantic.

You really are a very ignorant and unsavoury chap.
Ralph
Just like you were patronising towards Shade with what I quoted above. Remember I left the country because of how it was going and my real life experiences
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:Just like you were patronising towards Shade with what I quoted above. Remember I left the country because of how it was going and my real life experiences
Was, not is.

I also apologised to Shade for my poor wording, and I don't see what is patronising about pointing out the obvious difference individual examples we are each aware of and the national-level statistics.
Ralph
Exactly,its worse in my eyes and in the eyes of many i know. I like coming home when i can but it was the best thing i did moving. I have no plans to come back
Joey
Shade wrote:Wow. I didn't realise you were such a tool.
Given that I can't make Buckle-puns to wind you up, need to find something else. :P