Register    Login    Search    FAQ

CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » NON FOOTY/JOKES ETC

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: True test of the ‘pro-business’ claims
 Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020, 19:15 

Some posters will recall that during the previous elections I have been critical of the Conservative’s claims to support small businesses when I believe that they favour monopolies, big businesses and party donors.

Let’s see which companies the government bails out (my prediction is airlines, train monopolies, and insurance) and which they let go to the wall (my prediction is independent businesses, especially in smaller towns).

If they are the party of business then the thriving artisan bakers, coffee roasters, brunch cafes and micropubs in my area which have been growing in number and always busy will be aided to survive any lockdown or advice to customers to stay away. Many have already switched to delivery and take away however that might not be enough.

If they die it will be a travesty. Time for Conservatives to show they really support small businesses.

Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: True test of the ‘pro-business’ claims
 Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020, 08:37 

And will loans / grants etc be ringfenced to safeguard jobs and keep businesses solvent, or will they be allowed to be used to top up dividends and bonuses.

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020, 17:22 

I am ashamed to say I am with you on thsi as well. There must be some connection between the money getting haned out and rebates / holidays being given. And with protection of employment. It must not be easy for the owners to take the money, while at the same time making people redundant.
The obama method of just sending teh peple cheques, may not be the correct way of doing things, unless it was means tested. Maybe some payment based on NI contributions, so that those on say, £100,00+ get a similar payment to those on £40,000 - as an example. Then linking that to the loans/grants being given to owners. So that both happen or just NI payback happens.
Am sure financial wizards can come up with something a bit tighter :)
I hope in days to come this will be addressed, because once redundancies become the vogue, they will become the norm.
Fully appreciate that there is no previous blueprints to go back to for this nightmare scenario. Which makes it even more important that left, right, middle , Labour, Cons, Republican, Unionist etc etc put all differences to the side and crack on with saving lives and saving the economy

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020, 21:27 

80% of wages paid for staff of businesses told to close. Some saved from the heap.

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020, 22:37 

backdated to 01/03. So there is no need for anyone to be on the heap

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020, 19:18 

EasyJet asking for Government bailout whilst also paying out £170m dividend and nearly £60m to one shareholder alone. Erm.

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020, 20:12 

Pissed me off too but apparently the dividend was voted before it kicked off so not sure on legalities of stopping it now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » THE NEST » NON FOOTY/JOKES ETC