Middle-lane Hoggers

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22770064

I hope the police find the time and resources to implement this, I really do. Such people deserve to be hung, drawn and quartered - fines are too good for 'em. It's one of my top three pet-hates when driving:

1. Selfish, inconsiderate b@stards who insist on driving in the lane 2 when lane 1 is clear. This is never more obvious than the gits who tootle along at 60mph in lane 2 on the four-lane stretches of the M25.

2. People who use fog-lights in perfectly clear conditions simply because it was "a bit misty" earlier on in the week and they are now completely oblivious to the bright light that's illuminated their dashboard ever since and the umpteen cars who flash their own lights at them to let them know.

3. Cars that apparently do not come shipped with those orange flashing lights in each corner and who's drivers assume everyone else is Uri feckin' Gellar and should therefore know what stupid maneuver they're about to make next.

:evil:
Malabus
As a cyclist I strongly agree with No.3.
Red Duke
As someone who used to do a lot of driving, the problem of middle hoggers is more of issue at weekends and holiday times. During the normal business hours, it is never normally an issue as the motorways are full of reps going from one appointment to another and use the lanes properly.

Come the weekend & holidays you get a huge influx of inexperienced drivers who have no idea how to drive on Motorway. The current generation seem to have an inability to learn for themselves - they need to be told what they should do rather work it out for themselves, so send all new qualified drivers on a motorway driving test and if they don't pass it, they can't drive on motorways only a roads.

They should use the number plate system for chasing motorists who aren't insured and sort that problem out first before wasting time dealing with middle lane hoggers.
Shade
I usually just get up behind people on the motorway and honk/flash at them non-stop until they get out of the way, and then resume doing 95mph until I reach my junction.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ban caravans from the motorway
Pie
So many times whilst driving to Charlton Kings in the evenings I have had to move from the 1st lane to the third to legally overtake a muppet hogging the middle lane.
I have now decided the best action is to overtake and give them lots of hand signals informing then that the have no radon to be in the middle lane.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A really exaggerated swing out two lanes and swing back in two lanes right in front of them is what i do to try and make the point.
asl
I'm pretty sure undertaking is only illegal if you're, say, in lane 2 and move into lane 1 to go past a vehicle that's in lane 2. If you're already in lane 1 and you undertake without changing lane, it's not an issue.
Ralph
asl wrote:I'm pretty sure undertaking is only illegal if you're, say, in lane 2 and move into lane 1 to go past a vehicle that's in lane 2. If you're already in lane 1 and you undertake without changing lane, it's not an issue.
i think your right..
You can undertake here fine. Best thing is turning right on red at lights.. keeps it all moving. You should be able to turn left on red there.. be so much better
RTT
From Highway Code - 268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions, you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake. -

This is loose enough for a traffic cop to book you for driving without due care and attention should he be short of hits that day. Generally, avoid doing so unless everyone is moving slowly and then with great caution, trying to make sure the overtaken vehicle is aware of my presence.

For other roads 163 –
• only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signaling to turn right, and there is room to do so
• stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left.

Again it is preferred not to but when it is the only option, do so with great caution as above.
There is no law as such but it is suggesting that reasonable drivers do not.
Coops
Also when leaving a motorway you should not pass vehicles in the middle lane as you approach the exit slip road.
London Exile
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Ban caravans from the motorway
^^^^^

Spot on RCS. Possibly I'd allow them to travel on the motorways between 2000-0600
TechSupport
Coops wrote:Also when leaving a motorway you should not pass vehicles in the middle lane as you approach the exit slip road.
One thing I've started to notice a lot is people going into the emergency lane to over/undertake (whatever you want to call it) when getting near an exit they want.
Nesty
pet hates
drivers on mobiles
drivers who dont indicate and turn left at the junction you are waiting to come out of
drivers who get in the wrong lane at roundabouts and cut you up
4x4's
"diversion" signs (and any other signs) that are still there 6 months after the event.
cars going too slow
cars going too fast