Wimbledon

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nadal out in R1
asl
:) Just watched that. Marvellous. Murray's half of the draw.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Nadal out in R1
Can't play on grass these days.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Nadal out in R1
Can't play on grass these days.
It does look that way.

I fancy Federer.
Hubert Parry
I am a massive Federer fan and he played very well today. Nadal losing is brilliant news for him, as I would not have backed him to beat Nadal, Murray and Djokovic back-to-back. Can't see past Djokovic to win overall, but I am unsure as to who will prevail in the other semi final although I think Murray is the more consistent currently.
asl
Murray has a relatively straightforward route to the final with only Tsonga any real threat. Djoko and Federer should meet in the semi but Ferrer might have something to say about that. You know what...I think this could be Murray's year...

As an aside, I've got tickets to the quarters, semis and final at Flushing Meadows in Sept. :D
Malabus
I would back Djokovic with every penny in my purse.
Hubert Parry
asl wrote:Murray has a relatively straightforward route to the final with only Tsonga any real threat. Djoko and Federer should meet in the semi but Ferrer might have something to say about that. You know what...I think this could be Murray's year...

As an aside, I've got tickets to the quarters, semis and final at Flushing Meadows in Sept. :D
Federer is in Murray's half, not Djokovic's.
asl
My mistake, then. Still think it could be the Scot.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
JW-Tsonga can never be written off in a one-off match.
Shade
Laura Robson has beaten #10 seed Maria Kirilenko. Mmmm. :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great win for Robson.
asl
I didn't watch, but I assume she served better than she's done lately? From memory, the stats said 51% of first serve in (won 80%) and only 3 double-faults. That's pretty remarkable for her. If someone could teach her to serve in a way that's commensurate with her ground-strokes and general movement, she'd be heading for the top-10. Surely, serving is the easiest thing to teach...? But her's has been awful for this season so far.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great serving and some good outright winners. Had a wobble at 4-1 in the second but got the shots back in to see it through.
Shade
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23062227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure there are players playing with black soled trainers, and yet the reason given to Federer for not being able to have orange soles is that he must wear mainly white...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23062227

I'm sure there are players playing with black soled trainers, and yet the reason given to Federer for not being able to have orange soles is that he must wear mainly white...
Stupid.
asl
The ladies tournament will be a little quieter going forward: Azarenka's just pulled out, injured.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good to see the Australian Hewitt getting beat. Hopefully his fan club will be sent home as well. Never more than when a green and gold cladded ape is screeching in the stands of Wimbledon is the difference between an Australian and a modern civislised human more obvious.
asl
Rafa's conquerer, Darcis has also pulled out injured.

Odd...he looked okay to me in the last couple of games...
Hubert Parry
I love the green and gold entourage! I had a beer with them a few years ago, and they are always quick to liven up a boring match. I also like Hewitt as a player.

Re: Federer's footwear - the orange is unnecessary and there are some traditions that are worth preserving.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Good to see the Australian Hewitt getting beat. Hopefully his fan club will be sent home as well.
What a thoroughly miserable summer of sport the Aussies are going to have had come September... :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:I love the green and gold entourage! I had a beer with them a few years ago, and they are always quick to liven up a boring match. I also like Hewitt as a player.

Re: Federer's footwear - the orange is unnecessary and there are some traditions that are worth preserving.
Two very contrasting opinions there HP.

One would argue the lager swilling uncouth Aussies degrade the tradition of Wimbledon far more than an orange sole on the shoe on the player with the most traditional and graceful game in the current era.
Hubert Parry
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:I love the green and gold entourage! I had a beer with them a few years ago, and they are always quick to liven up a boring match. I also like Hewitt as a player.

One would argue the lager swilling uncouth Aussies degrade the tradition of Wimbledon far more than an orange sole on the shoe on the player with the most traditional and graceful game in the current era.
Those 'lager swilling uncouth Aussies' are no worse than most of the pro-Murray mob who cheer an unforced error from his opponent.
asl
BBC Live Text wrote:The ball loops up invitingly towards the Royal Box. It is heading for the front row. Mo Farah is under it. It takes an age to drop, but still there is little excuse for what follows.

Hands like flippers as the fuzzy sphere escapes the Olympian's clutches and drops apologetically back onto the court. Farah smiles. It is easy to be comfortable in your sporting prowess with two London 2012 gold gongs in your back pocket.
:lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Those 'lager swilling uncouth Aussies' are no worse than most of the pro-Murray mob who cheer an unforced error from his opponent.
Scots....?

Whatever happened to nice round of applause and a cheery 'Come on Tim!'?
asl
Now Isner and Cilic are out! What's going on........??? :shock:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The modern style of play is too harsh for the Wimbledon grass - the ground has got harder and harder over the years but the top surfaces remains a bit slippery and slidey, because it's grass/dust.

A few years ago now when Nadal and Murray etc were starting to dominate, a tennis playing friend of mine was adamant Federer would still last longer than them at Wimbledon because their bodies wouldn't cope - and he may well be right.

Surprised Cilic has gone though I must say, as he isn't your usual heavyweight clay court juggernaut whose joints you'd expect to see get knacked at the All England.

Isner has had more injuries than Steve Gillespie as far as I recall.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cilic just quoted on the BBC:

"I just consider my own case. It's more because of obviously much lower bounces, putting more pressure on my body and my knees, as I'm pretty tall.

"It also has a difficulty on movement. It's a bit tougher to move on grass than other surfaces."
Shade
Wimps.
asl
And now Tsonga has withdrawn mid-match. Azarenka blamed the grass but I thought she was just being a whiney girl. Something is badly wrong, this year.
Shade
Foreigners can't play on grass, that's all there is to it, I reckon. They're sliding around on it as if that's the way to do it...but it's not. Federer and Murray know how to play on grass. £20 says neither of them get an injury that can be blamed on the court.
Shade
McEnroe. Still a twat. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01by0pv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
On BBC live text the lady who beat Sharapova was quoted as saying the grass had been cut but not well swept so there was a lot of cut grass on the court, which can't help.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Classic tennis from the Ukranian lad against Federer.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great match. If baseline power-blasters getting crocked means more matches like this then lets make the courts even worse next year.