Gloucester City Council

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We discussed to death Cheltenham Council's funding of festivals and attracting visitors. The reverse is once again seen in Gloucester where yet more effort is being made to cover up and prevent people from visiting lovely assets the city has.

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Fenc ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gloucester is such a historic city with so many historic buildings (so much more history than Cheltenham) and historic streets, yet over the last 60 years so many ancient buildings have been left in a state of disrepair or bulldozed - I've literally climbed fences and traipsed through long grass and god knows what to get a close-up look at some gems. It's hard to think of a greater modern desecration of Medieval and Roman architecture than in Gloucester.

With the Docks as well being a great feature it really could have been one of the top visitor attraction cities in the UK with everything - Docks, Cathedral, Roman streets, Medieval and Tudor streets etc etc - like York, Liverpool and Chester combined into one. Instead it's known for being a horrible grey 1960s urban mess, and, speaking as a proud Gloucestershireman, it's a great shame that was, and is still, allowed in our fine county.
baggy89
Wasn't there something about that Boots too? Before it was built along with that shopping centre it was two shopfronts, when they bulldozed it they realised the facades covered the two oldest buildings in the city, or something along those lines.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
baggy89 wrote:Wasn't there something about that Boots too? Before it was built along with that shopping centre it was two shopfronts, when they bulldozed it they realised the facades covered the two oldest buildings in the city, or something along those lines.
I do recall. Mindless vandalism in my view.