BBC Coverage of Wimbledon

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Hubert Parry
Atrocious.

Determined to swap channels every 30 minutes; inane commentary (McEnroe aside); nauseating level of bias in favour of Brits (Andy Murray hysteria; referring to the 'plucky Brit' no less than six times in five minutes in Kyle Edmund's match); banal interviewing from Garry Richardson (see car crash interview with Murray after Verdasco win); Andrew Castle - words cannot do justice to describe just how much I dislike him, he has to be the worst commentator of all time.

Really, really poor effort all round.
asl
Must admit that the constant switching of channels does my head in. The Murray game was switched to BBC2 to accommodate the 18:00 news for 30 mins. Ridiculous. Sue Barker sounded fairly apologetic about it, too.

In the last couple of years, the Wimbledon crowd, once a bastion of polite fairness, does appear to have become more biased. There were cheers today for double-faults - and that's really not...erm...cricket.
Hubert Parry
Thanks asl, I knew I had forgotten something. The crowd today were an embarrassment. Having Castle's sycophancy and the crowd being as they were, I was finding myself lending some support to JJ.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I'm glad to see another person who despises Andrew Castle. A mate of mine and I have hated him for years.

I often end up supporting 'the opposition' to an extent for the same reasons.
asl
I certainly had sympathy with him about the roof: it looked dark, to me. The brightness of the broadcast picture's usually enhanced so I bet it was even darker than it appeared. I remember at the cricket once, they went off for bad light and they explained how the brightness on the TV was a bit false "and this is what it looks like without us doing that..." - the difference was astonishing. With that in mind, it looked seriously dark in there by 20:30.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
At least Castle didn't drone on about the air management system like he did last time I saw play under the roof.
Shade
asl wrote:I certainly had sympathy with him about the roof: it looked dark, to me. The brightness of the broadcast picture's usually enhanced so I bet it was even darker than it appeared. I remember at the cricket once, they went off for bad light and they explained how the brightness on the TV was a bit false "and this is what it looks like without us doing that..." - the difference was astonishing. With that in mind, it looked seriously dark in there by 20:30.
Would have been lighter than in my house and that lighting was fine! They would have needed it by the end though.
Nesty
Agree McEnroe is good............. but he's German as is Becker - why cant we breed English commentators?
asl
Dan Maskell. Now there was a commentator. By the way, Nesty, Mac ain't German......
Nesty
asl wrote:Dan Maskell. Now there was a commentator. By the way, Nesty, Mac ain't German......
Born: February 16, 1959 (age 54), Wiesbaden, Germany
asl
I stand corrected.
Pie
Boris had some cracking one liners today.
I laughed when Castle said "I'm getting nervous" and he replied whispering "I'm getting excited!"
Hubert Parry
I am loving the vitriol Castle is getting on twitter.
Shade
Sad people
Malabus
Pie wrote:Boris had some cracking one liners today.
I laughed when Castle said "I'm getting nervous" and he replied whispering "I'm getting excited!"
One of the highlights of the day.