Freeview

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

taxidave
I have just bought a small 22" tv for our spare bedroom and it came with "Freeview installed" but I did not expect to be able to receive any channels as I haven't got a freeview ariel and the tv is not even connected to the old aerial on the roof but I was amazed to find that I can receive most of the available channels quite clearly.
Perhaps someone could explain how this is possible
RTT
taxidave wrote:I have just bought a small 22" tv for our spare bedroom and it came with "Freeview installed" but I did not expect to be able to receive any channels as I haven't got a freeview ariel and the tv is not even connected to the old aerial on the roof but I was amazed to find that I can receive most of the available channels quite clearly.
There is no such thing really as a 'Freeview' aerial. The ones that people call that are high gain aerials. If the signal is strong enough, and with the analogue signal turned off, the signal would be strong enough with the aerial you are obviously using.

Before the analogue signal was ruined off, the digital signal was not as powerful and high gain aerial may have been needed. The digital signal power was increased when analogue was abandoned.
taxidave
RTT wrote:
taxidave wrote:I have just bought a small 22" tv for our spare bedroom and it came with "Freeview installed" but I did not expect to be able to receive any channels as I haven't got a freeview ariel and the tv is not even connected to the old aerial on the roof but I was amazed to find that I can receive most of the available channels quite clearly.
There is no such thing really as a 'Freeview' aerial. The ones that people call that are high gain aerials. If the signal is strong enough, and with the analogue signal turned off, the signal would be strong enough with the aerial you are obviously using.
Before the analogue signal was ruined off, the digital signal was not as powerful and high gain aerial may have been needed. The digital signal power was increased when analogue was abandoned.
But I am not using an ariel, the only thing plugged into the back of the tv is a scart lead which is connected to the dvd player. So are you saying that all those people who paid out £100 plus for a new ariel were wasting their money.
Red Duke
taxidave wrote: But I am not using an ariel, the only thing plugged into the back of the tv is a scart lead which is connected to the dvd player. So are you saying that all those people who paid out £100 plus for a new ariel were wasting their money.
It all depends on the strength of the signal from the TV Transmitter and how much interference there is e.g geographical or wind turbines.

Where I live, I had to have a new aerial installed, tuned to a different transmitter because Scottish Power built a wind farm close by.

Thankfully they paid for the new aerial and installation.
RTT
If they bought them after we went digital possibly. It could also depend on which transmitter they are getting their signal from.
Malabus
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 925AASpwKz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The inbuilt aerial on the TV itself must be pretty good. Better than the old days of wiggling a coat hanger around.