Bath Road

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Two tragic accidents last weekend on Friday and Saturday nights up at the top (town end) part of Bath Road - one between the Bath Tavern and St Luke's turning and the other outside Weatherspoons at 12:40am Sunday. Calls from a couple of traders down there to close part of the road at "busy" times. I have to say I'm amazed that there aren't some big old speed bumps down there, considering how many there are in the county and that it's probably the longest stretch of open road in the town.
Malabus
Shade wrote:Two tragic accidents last weekend on Friday and Saturday nights up at the top (town end) part of Bath Road - one between the Bath Tavern and St Luke's turning and the other outside Weatherspoons at 12:40am Sunday. Calls from a couple of traders down there to close part of the road at "busy" times. I have to say I'm amazed that there aren't some big old speed bumps down there, considering how many there are in the county and that it's probably the longest stretch of open road in the town.
I believe one of the major obstacles is the new mini Island that's been there for around 6 months which is located by Eagle Star/Spice Lodge. It's a hazard for cyclists because impatient motorists want to overtake leaving no room.
They want to build unwanted housing on greenbelt in Leckhampton/Brockworth which will increase traffic on the Bath Road by 10%. There some fecking foolish moronic people that make these awful decisions.
Shade
Malabus wrote:
Shade wrote:Two tragic accidents last weekend on Friday and Saturday nights up at the top (town end) part of Bath Road - one between the Bath Tavern and St Luke's turning and the other outside Weatherspoons at 12:40am Sunday. Calls from a couple of traders down there to close part of the road at "busy" times. I have to say I'm amazed that there aren't some big old speed bumps down there, considering how many there are in the county and that it's probably the longest stretch of open road in the town.
I believe one of the major obstacles is the new mini Island that's been there for around 6 months which is located by Eagle Star/Spice Lodge. It's a hazard for cyclists because impatient motorists want to overtake leaving no room.
They want to build unwanted housing on greenbelt in Leckhampton/Brockworth which will increase traffic on the Bath Road by 10%. There some fecking foolish moronic people that make these awful decisions.
That island thing is utterly stupid, as was narrowing the road in a couple of places. Everything has to start swerving unnecessarily.
asl
Shade wrote:Everything has to start swerving unnecessarily.
As opposed to the necessary swerving when cars floor it as they come off the Strand and tried to overtake as many vehicles as possible before switching into the left or right lane 6 inches before the road forked (I presume that's where the island you're talking about has been put?)
Shade
No, if you're going out of town the island thing is past the fork, near the Eagle Tower. The pavement widening was in a couple of places closer to the fork, though, and just took away a few parking spaces.

But what you said, that's why I'm surprised there aren't any speed bumps down there. While I'm at it, the lane changes they did on the Strand earlier this year are pretty pointless too - you can't use the left lane at all now because cars parked on the double yellows completely fill the lane, and the new turn right only lane that leads up to St James' car park is probably only useful about 2% of the time, and that's only when roadworks are being carried out further down the road and traffic is backed up.
Daveangel
I drove past the Moon under Water earlier and there was some idiot picking heads off the bouquets of flowers on the railings and eating them, much to the hilarity of his halfwit friends. Some people are beyond belief.
I agree it really needs some bumps or something down there. In the early hours it used to be like a race track.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The other thing is the footpath from Sandford Park comes out there - I have myself, and witnessed others including children, dashing across from Sandford Park to The Playhouse and it is not safe.
RTT
The island that you are talking about is there for pedestrians so that they cross the road, if necessary, in two stages. The nearest pedestrian crossings are at the crossroads of Bath Road/Thrilstaine Road and the other one is by the Weatherspoons near the town.
Malabus
RTT wrote:the other one is by the Weatherspoons near the town.
Oriel Rd.
RTT
Malabus wrote:
Oriel Rd.
on the Bath road it is Weatherspoons, probably little distance in it through. Even still that is still a fair distance between pedestrian crossings and if you are going to the Hosptial from the town centre it can be a little problem; but them pedestrians do not count!
Malabus
RTT wrote:
Malabus wrote:
Oriel Rd.
on the Bath road it is Weatherspoons, probably little distance in it through. Even still that is still a fair distance between pedestrian crossings and if you are going to the Hosptial from the town centre it can be a little problem; but them pedestrians do not count!
Bath Rd/Oriel Rd is the nearest crossing from the new island travelling north.
Shade
But how many pedestrians had been knocked down or injured trying to cross anywhere near there before the little island was put in? Honestly, I don't know if there have been or not. And I'm not saying it's actually caused any accidents. But it doesn't help things, in my opinion.
RTT
Shade, a few things. Firstly the knobbly paving slabs have been added on the pavements and the island to help blind people. Secondly, the those knobbly paving have also been laid so as to perform a dropped kerb helping pushchairs, wheelchairs, mobility scooters and pedestrians who find normal kerb stones a challenge. The island itself means that you do not have to wait the road to be clear in both directions as you can take in two stages, a great help also with limited (slow) mobility.

If the traffic island also has the effect of slowing traffic slightly then that may also be desired.
Shade
Ok. One day I may see somebody actually using it and think it's worthwhile. I still just see people crossing at other places in the road.