Daily Mail

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
http://www.theguardian.com/media/greens ... -dailymail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joey
Remember when the Mail got in a strop about the comments made after Thatcher's death?

Prejudice, hate and fear is what the Mail consists of; it never ceases pouring our utterly vile content. It is not Ed Miliband's father who hates Britain, it is the Daily Mail who hates Britain.
Malabus
Why did they feel the need to attack his father who is afterall deceased.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Why did they feel the need to attack his father who is afterall deceased.
Because they are a very nasty newspaper who do not think twice about such things.
TheRaven
http://toys.usvsth3m.com/are-you-hated- ... aily-mail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joey
Here is said Thatcher article - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... w-low.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
This incident is a new low in British journalism - on a par with deleting Milly Dowler voice messages by the News of The World.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/o ... emorial-ed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The editor of the Mail on Sunday has since confirmed to my office that a journalist from his newspaper did indeed attend the [private small] memorial [of a recently deceased Uncle] uninvited with the intention of seeking information for publication this weekend."
Andy
[sarcasm] JP should get some hints from this creative journalist and then be able to report to us all why BJ really did leave [/sarcasm].
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andy wrote:[sarcasm] JP should get some hints from this creative journalist and then be able to report to us all why BJ really did leave [/sarcasm].
the scum apologised at least

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/o ... emorial-ed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
taxidave
I really cannot understand why some people on this forum are so anti the Mail, I purchase it everyday and find it an excellent read with good journalists and real feel for what the vast majority of the British public want to read in their favourite newspaper. It may not suit those on the far left of politics but most people in this country are far more moderate thinking and prefer a middle of the road publication rather than the left wing views of the Guardian.
Joey
taxidave wrote:I really cannot understand why some people on this forum are so anti the Mail, I purchase it everyday and find it an excellent read with good journalists and real feel for what the vast majority of the British public want to read in their favourite newspaper. It may not suit those on the far left of politics but most people in this country are far more moderate thinking and prefer a middle of the road publication rather than the left wing views of the Guardian.
The Daily Mail isn't a centre paper, it's a ring-wing paper.

If you want a paper that promotes fear, hatred and bigotry; then read the Daily Mail. Such articles directed towards migrants, gays, trans and the poor promote a society that one would prefer remained in the 20th century. People don't hate the Mail because it's right-wing, if so then there would be as much hate for the Telegraph. It's a shame due to the fact it pays more than other publications, jouranlists tend to float towards writing for it.

The Guardian isn't perfect, every so often there will be a completely stupid article on there. However I have nothing but praise for the work the Guardian and Glenn Greenwald are doing with the Snowden files.
asl
Joey wrote:The Daily Mail isn't a centre paper, it's a ring-wing paper.
That's cleared that up, then.
Ralph
taxidave wrote:I really cannot understand why some people on this forum are so anti the Mail, I purchase it everyday and find it an excellent read with good journalists and real feel for what the vast majority of the British public want to read in their favourite newspaper. It may not suit those on the far left of politics but most people in this country are far more moderate thinking and prefer a middle of the road publication rather than the left wing views of the Guardian.
same here.. i read it online
Shade
Daily Sport. Gets the job done*

*I don't read (look at the pictures in) the Sport
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

LOL

The Mail is as extreme Right as the Grauniad is Left - if you think the Mail is middle of the road and moderate you are very wrong.

Some very Conservative politicians now condemning it, including one of Thatcher's biggest allies:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... iband-lies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/o ... ncis-maude" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nick Clegg who is pretty moderate and middle of the road sums it up:

The Liberal Democrat leader said: "If anyone excels in denigrating and vilifying modern Britain it is the Daily Mail."

He said he rarely read the paper, but "every time I do open it, it seems to be overflowing with bile about modern Britain. They don't like working mothers, they don't like the BBC, they don't like members of the royal family, they don't like teachers, they don't like the English football team. The list goes on – talk about kettles and pots."

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/o ... d-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Telegraph and Indie for the best news in my opinion, and I read the Guardian the most as the website is the best though a lot of it's opinion is laughably left-wing - but at least it's academic and knowledgeable. If I want a bit of tabloid-style anti-BBC anti-Labour news then The Times meets that bill. No other national paper aside from the Financial Times and The Economist provides actual analysis, reports and data on which people can make an informed view/decision.

The Mail is generally only good for a laugh - a quick flick through to see how many of it's stereotypes they've published and guffawing at how poorly written it is and being amazed people actually take it seriously. Before realising that because so many people do read it and think it prints actual news it is a very dangerous and serious issue and is not a laughing matter at all. That's why people hate it - if not many read it then no problem, it could be ignored, but the fact that so many people get all their information and therefore form their views and opinion on the trash and bile the Mail prints makes many people angry, and or upset at the state of the nation.

If I gave extremely low or high CTFC player ratings and a full ranting match report for every game I do not go to then those who actually go to games would be very frustrated and tell me to be quiet and rightly so - and they would feel exactly the same as an informed person has when trying to debate with someone who only reads the Daily Mail.

It's not much worse than The Express, but that rag has nowhere near the level of readership or influence to be important.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 03 Oct 2013, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Being extremely poorly educated here...who determined which was left and which was right and how do we know they got it the right way round when it comes to winging politics. Why have such a saying? Where did it come from / originate?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andy wrote:Being extremely poorly educated here...who determined which was left and which was right and how do we know they got it the right way round when it comes to winging politics. Why have such a saying? Where did it come from / originate?
God knows mate. Maybe we should campaign to change it from being on a scale of Left to Right to being on the Electromagnetic Spectrum with Gamma-rays and Long-waves being the extremities, and usually invisible to the public eye. Just one side of the centre is the all dominating Visible Light section, conveniently with red at one end and blue at the other. Then we'd have a literal rainbow coalition next time the parliamentary election is hung.
Andy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Andy wrote:Being extremely poorly educated here...who determined which was left and which was right and how do we know they got it the right way round when it comes to winging politics. Why have such a saying? Where did it come from / originate?
God knows mate. Maybe we should campaign to change it from being on a scale of Left to Right to being on the Electromagnetic Spectrum with Gamma-rays and Long-waves being the extremities, and usually invisible to the public eye. Just one side of the centre is the all dominating Visible Light section, conveniently with red at one end and blue at the other. Then we'd have a literal rainbow coalition next time the parliamentary election is hung.
Ah I just thought I was being thick in not knowing. I assumed there would have been some historical reference to the side of the house of commons they were originally sat on her something but I guess not then.
asl
Not far wrong at all, Andy! Look at the origins:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left%E2% ... t_politics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy
Cheers for that
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Not far wrong at all, Andy! Look at the origins:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left%E2% ... t_politics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ha, awesome. Great call Andy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Go on son

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/10 ... 39900.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheRaven
Mehdi Hasan absolutely nailed it, as he does more or less every time he appears on television. He is wasting his talent in journalism.