Cyclist in Near Miss

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ca ... e-24364332

I suspect she needed new underpants after that... :shock:
Shade
I hope she did, stupid cow. I imagine that's why she turned around, to go back home and change.
Malabus
Thank goodness her brakes worked, they saved her life.
Shade
Malabus wrote:Thank goodness her brakes worked, they saved her life.
Shame her brain didn't work when she saw the barriers down and lights flashing but decided to swerve round them to try and save 4 seconds.
Joey
It must be a illegal to do such a thing, surely the police must be hunting her down and planning to press charges.
Andy
Joey wrote:It must be a illegal to do such a thing, surely the police must be hunting her down and planning to press charges.
Perhaps that's why BTP are trying to trace her.
taxidave
People do not seem to realise that a train travelling at 80mph, and most are going faster than that, will take over a mile to come to a halt. So even if the driver sees you the chances of him not killing you are very remote.
C.V
Ban cyclists from the roads they are law unto there own roads should be for motorised vehicles only
C.V
C.V wrote:Ban cyclists from the roads they are law unto there own roads should be for motorised vehicles only
I had to pay for expensive driving lessons and sit a driving test also pay heavily for insurance pay for an MOT to make sure my car is roadworthy before l was allowed to drive on the roads.Any old NUMPTY can go out and buy a bike and are free to terrorise our roads. Make them have a credible set of paid for lessons take a test and pay insurance and if as in this case prove to be reckless ban and heavily fine them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:
C.V wrote:Ban cyclists from the roads they are law unto there own roads should be for motorised vehicles only
I had to pay for expensive driving lessons and sit a driving test also pay heavily for insurance pay for an MOT to make sure my car is roadworthy before l was allowed to drive on the roads.Any old NUMPTY can go out and buy a bike and are free to terrorise our roads. Make them have a credible set of paid for lessons take a test and pay insurance and if as in this case prove to be reckless ban and heavily fine them.
I also paid heavily for a driving test, and pay for insurance (renewal due so thanks for reminding me) and MOT. It might be news to you but most people who ride a bike also own and drive cars....

I think this is a more serious issue, which will only be adding to your very own insurance costs:

"Research conducted by AA Insurance warned that one in 25 drivers (around one million vehicles) in the UK had no insurance – making the likelihood of being hit by an uninsured driver higher than almost anywhere else in Europe."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... ivers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yes I know you are on a wind up and fishing, which is why I am deliberately biting before you respond along those lines.
C.V
You havent grasped the point if my car gets damaged by a cyclist l have to rely on his honesty to pay for the damage.I cant take down his registration details as he has'nt got any along with no road insurance.He could give me any old name and address l would be none the wiser.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:You havent grasped the point if my car gets damaged by a cyclist l have to rely on his honesty to pay for the damage.I cant take down his registration details as he has'nt got any along with no road insurance.He could give me any old name and address l would be none the wiser.
One imagines if I crashed into a car on my bike with hard enough contact to cause damage to it, then the driver would be able to pop in to get my details from the local A&E ward.

What if a pedestrian damages your car? Or an out of control pushchair or shopping trolley? Space debris crashing to earth? What if an uninsured driver writes off your vehicle?

The point this driver hadn't grasped is that overtaking round a bend at 40-50mph is pretty silly, and though not a criminal offence can result in death: http://road.cc/content/news/95681-pharm ... -side-road" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rather than targeting one particular mode of transport, it'd be better to clamp down on idiots and ban/educate them to reduce unsociable and dangerous travelling by any form.
C.V
Oh dear you are an argumentative swine aren't you.

We have all been there sat in a line of traffic and along comes numpty on his bike weaving in and out the cars.He gets to my car and scrapes along the side obliviouse of the damage l cant catch him as hes cycled off and l am stuck in traffic. Theres me now looking upwards of two, three hundred pounds for a respray.Dont go of topic cyclist should pass a test to prove they are road wise and they should carry insurance.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:Oh dear you are an argumentative swine aren't you.

We have all been there sat in a line of traffic and along comes numpty on his bike weaving in and out the cars.He gets to my car and scrapes along the side obliviouse of the damage l cant catch him as hes cycled off and l am stuck in traffic. Theres me now looking upwards of two, three hundred pounds for a respray.Dont go of topic cyclist should pass a test to prove they are road wise and they should carry insurance.
I do agree with you that many people who ride a bike do need better training. The example you give of weaving through traffic is a prime example - sooner or later people who do that riding a bike will get into a dangerous nasty or illegal situation and might come to harm. Most cycling deaths in London are people going up the inside of HGVs and buses, which is quite literally suicidal.

I am not convinced they would cause a scratch, especially without noticing - most handlebars have a smooth rubber or plastic end, and most people's knees protrude further than their pedals. And if either the handlebars or pedals scraped a car hard enough to scratch the paintwork then balance of the bike would be effected to a noticeable extent. They might notice but not stop - but that is not because they are a cyclist but because they are a kn*b, and they probably go 35mph in a 30mph zone when driving and talk on their mobile phone in the quiet carriage on the train cos that's what kn*bs do.

Thing is - think how many bad and dangerous drivers you see. Most of them have had lessons, passed a test, got insurance and what not and it does not improve their behaviour. If tests and insurance stopped people being kn*bs we wouldn't have any need for speed cameras, traffic wardens, cameras at lights, breathalysers, etc etc. But alas, a number of perfectly qualified people driving on any given day do so in kn*bbish fashion so I imagine that if a perfectly trained, qualified and insured cyclist wanted to be a kn*b they'd still be so.

A pedestrian could step into a cycle path without looking causing someone on a bike to swerve into a wall or lamppost or fall-off which could damage the bike etc etc with no recompense - it's just a risk of being a populated area, some people will always be numpties.

I suppose if common sense and consideration amongst road users of Britain is too much to ask or expect then the answer is to have more segregated lanes for people cycling, then the numpties of the world can carry numptying along, whether on two legs, two, wheels, four wheels or lots of wheels.
RTT
C.V wrote:
Where do you propose they cycle?

I have had a car for forty years, so have paid a lot of road tax, fuel duty, insurance, MOT etc but if I run on the road, because the pavements doesn't exist or so bad it is better to run on the road, motorists get irate. They do not mind parking on pavements, drop down kerbs etc though. In fact I was running on the pavement and a car backed out of his garden, shielded by hedges, and nearly ran me over. He said that it was fault as there was a drop down kerb so he had right of way even going across a pavement. He was wrong of course, but shows the mindset of a lot of drivers.
Shade
I'll just chirp into yet another long ass debate about cyclists that nobody can win to say that the woman in the video, whether she was riding on the road or the pavement before she got there, would have still tried to go around the barriers.
C.V
Another one gone off topic
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:Another one gone off topic
It was on topic [topic being the video] until a certain person [person being CV] chipped in about banning cyclists which prompted the following discussion in in response to his post.
Andy
and now its gone off topic by talking about it being off topic :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andy wrote:and now its gone off topic by talking about it being off topic :)
Indeed. What topic will CV lurch to next? :P
asl
The woman has apparently come forward, so I guess it's all come to an end. now.