The American Dream

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24528383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imagine if we had to pay £60 a month just for home broadband. There would be riots. Especially at those pretty poor speeds compared to most developed countries.
asl
It's offset by their cost of fuel.
Ralph
i disagree with that partly. I have 15meg service at home and its equal to about 40 quid max a month

You could look at 4G as an example as to how things are different. I first got that Oct 2011 iirc.. you only really are starting to get it now properly.
Malabus
What made you jump over the pond. Do you have a visa or are you a citizen.
Shade
Ralph wrote:i disagree with that partly. I have 15meg service at home and its equal to about 40 quid max a month

You could look at 4G as an example as to how things are different. I first got that Oct 2011 iirc.. you only really are starting to get it now properly.
£40 is still extreme compared to prices here. BT do a fibre optic service of up to 38mb for £15 a month.
I'm currently getting ~8mb from Sky for free for 6 months on shitty old copper cables, and then £10pm. Until I ring them up and tell them I'm leaving because somebody else do it cheaper. At which point they'll probably offer £5. And I'll take it.

We have been backward on 4G though. Don't know why really - it was obvious it wasn't going to be a fad or anything like that. Seems like most of Europe have had it for ages as well.
Joey
I've always thought it was down to AT&T and Verizon pretty much having a monopoly on internet over there. Lucky Americans are getting Google Fibre which has very high speeds but I'm not sure how much that is.

It's the same for mobile providers too from what I've read, they don't get deals and free everything like we do over here.
asl
Joey wrote:I've always thought it was down to AT&T and Verizon pretty much having a monopoly on internet over there.
That would make it a duopoly... :)

But the BBC article pretty much says that that's precisely the problem: a lack of competition meaning the sole-suppliers can charge what they like.
Ralph
Joey wrote:I've always thought it was down to AT&T and Verizon pretty much having a monopoly on internet over there.
Phones yes.. internet no
Ralph
Malabus wrote:What made you jump over the pond. Do you have a visa or are you a citizen.
Had enough of the UK Mal.. plain and simple
I'm on a visa hopefully heading to a green card
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
Malabus wrote:What made you jump over the pond. Do you have a visa or are you a citizen.
Had enough of the UK Mal.. plain and simple
I'm on a visa hopefully heading to a green card
Bloody immigrants.
Shade
Lucky he's in a country which is pretty much full of them :)
Joey
Ralph wrote:
Phones yes.. internet no
Going off memory here but wasn't part of the reason the AT&T purchase of T-Mobile in America was blocked due to the fact that if it went through they'd have over 100 million customers?
asl
Rumours have abounded for a while, but the sale of the 45% stake in Verizon Wireless could prove a catalyst for AT&T taking over Vodafone. Think how big that company would be... AT&T re-itterated recently that they're looking for M&A possibilities in Europe.
Ralph
Joey wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Phones yes.. internet no
Going off memory here but wasn't part of the reason the AT&T purchase of T-Mobile in America was blocked due to the fact that if it went through they'd have over 100 million customers?
i believe so yes.