Polish chicken can be classed as

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
British just after four weeks in the UK.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The meat industry is a disgrace so no surprise. Go to the cheap meat aisle and study the small print and this will be the case for most things.

Even Waitrose Hereford beef comes from a Hereford cow cross-bread with a generic brees.

M&S rabbit is sometimes farmed.

That's why I only eat meat when I've seen it in a field or if it's wild abundant game and has the pellet in to prove it.
asl
What was that quote from one food critic in the wake of the horsemeat 'scandal'? "What do people expect from a 27p burger? That it comes from an organic, free-range, thoroughbred herd and is ground by pixies?" Something like that, anyway.

You want to buy a cheap chicken? You can get two for £4 in Tesco, I think. If you pay that for two stringy, tasteless, birds, do you really give a flying f@#k about where they came from or the conditions they live in or whether they were known as Dmitri before being slaughtered? No: you buy them cos they're £4. Personally, on the rare occasion I buy a whole chicken, I'll expect to pay double that for a single bird, but recognise the difference in taste and texture and quality. People can't always afford to make that choice - which is why the cheaper option exists. If the quality and provenance were higher, they would have to be more expensive and, therefore, become unaffordable to that group of people. That's the harsh reality of economics.
Slothar
asl wrote:What was that quote from one food critic in the wake of the horsemeat 'scandal'? "What do people expect from a 27p burger? That it comes from an organic, free-range, thoroughbred herd and is ground by pixies?" Something like that, anyway.

You want to buy a cheap chicken? You can get two for £4 in Tesco, I think. If you pay that for two stringy, tasteless, birds, do you really give a flying f@#k about where they came from or the conditions they live in or whether they were known as Dmitri before being slaughtered? No: you buy them cos they're £4. Personally, on the rare occasion I buy a whole chicken, I'll expect to pay double that for a single bird, but recognise the difference in taste and texture and quality. People can't always afford to make that choice - which is why the cheaper option exists. If the quality and provenance were higher, they would have to be more expensive and, therefore, become unaffordable to that group of people. That's the harsh reality of economics.
Totally agree. I'd add that if the economics don't make it viable, eat chicken less often. There is plenty of cheap and good quality food out there. What valuable nutritional content is there in a dirt cheap chicken anyway, given the meat is bloated with additional water.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Meat production in my eyes has similar economics to polluting manufacturing or cheap binge promotiobs in bars. It is cheap and there is supply and demand equilibrium at a low price as the external costs are not borne by either party. If carbon reduction taxes etc were higher or if bars were charged fees to cover police, nhs and cleaning costs the non-market costs will be internalised to the supplier, price will be increased and people will demand and consume less.

It is my personal view that meat and milk is too cheap and the costs to environment, ethical issues, and price setting by monopoly buyers does not reflect the true cost. If there was stricter regulation on environment destruction, welfare standards and feed quality globally the cost and price would be higher. If most UK dairy farmers were not making a loss on each pint of milk sold to the three big supermarkets the cost and price would be higher.
Be more expensive but then people would eat less meat at a more real cost and price.

The fact we see scandals and bankrupt farmers already shows the price set by monopoly retailers is too low to produce at, regarsless of the external costs most suppliers don't pay.

Market failure caused by the retail and supplu market and I personally would regulate against it but I know there are plenty of valid opinions to the contrary.
Malabus
Would be nice to see these animals as earthlings with feelings rather than a food product to maintain the body.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Would be nice to see these animals as earthlings with feelings rather than a food product to maintain the body.
My thoughts too though I wouldn't say we should not eat meat. I'd be happy if we as a species ate 20% of the animal products we do now at about three or four times the cost.