another pub bites the dust

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ralph
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/ ... z2kKoe7dmI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats another nice pub gone :(

Is the Cotswold still open?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That pub is cursed - closed and re-opened so many times in the last ten years.

Under one owner they did a good quiz with food, which was always full and we used to go a fair bit.

One set of owners were not great - we had an awful Christmas Day meal. We complained, got some vouchers, and then the couple absconded overnight abandoning the pub and it's debts.

Was a fish restaurant for a bit. I hate fish.

Carvery and food pub for a bit I think which never caught on.

Re-opened this year and as my Mum lives very close they went to try a couple of times - her stories of rude and unwelcoming manager/staff who seemed more interested in smoking in the doorway with their 'rough' friends rather than encouraging new customers was the general feedback. No one I know around that way had any desire to go back after trying it once so not surprised it's gone.

Don't know what it is, but people have tried so many things and it just doesn't work.

Always thought it should have gone back to basics which is what Robin would have done - not the first time he has been done over by Enterprise Inns.
Malabus
More houses...:roll:

Over populated country with open borders. Pubs and countryside is the sacriface.
Ralph
Mal, perhaps you need to protest outside Boots maybe http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ights.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
Ralph wrote:Mal, perhaps you need to protest outside Boots maybe http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ights.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The guys is weak, just his testicles. I would nail my full genitalia as a protest toward this rape of our land by greedy money worshippers that are blinded by materialism.
asl
I used to go in the Little Owl regularly, at one point, as it was probably the easiest pub to get to from St Edward's School where I played badminton a couple of times a week.

I stopped going into it out of principle when one set of new owners didn't realise that 'Little Owl' was the name of a former Gold Cup winner and replaced the pub sign from a picture of a race-horse to one of an owl. Started going to the London Inn and the Merryfellow, after that...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I used to go in the Little Owl regularly, at one point, as it was probably the easiest pub to get to from St Edward's School where I played badminton a couple of times a week.

I stopped going into it out of principle when one set of new owners didn't realise that 'Little Owl' was the name of a former Gold Cup winner and replaced the pub sign from a picture of a race-horse to one of an owl. Started going to the London Inn and the Merryfellow, after that...
I did always think owners and not location were to blame for it's failure. People would have gone if the product was right.
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: I did always think owners and not location were to blame for it's failure. People would have gone if the product was right.
I always found the Clock Tower over the road to be a better pub, both for food and drink and a lot cheaper ! perhaps that is why the Little Owl failed.
Nowadays you cannot sustain 2 pubs, opposite each other, on the outskirts of any town unless they serve completely different clientèle.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: I did always think owners and not location were to blame for it's failure. People would have gone if the product was right.
I always found the Clock Tower over the road to be a better pub, both for food and drink and a lot cheaper ! perhaps that is why the Little Owl failed.
Nowadays you cannot sustain 2 pubs, opposite each other, on the outskirts of any town unless they serve completely different clientèle.
Good point. I have been to the Clock Tower more often.
Carthorse Ted
The Little Owl was a good boozer under it's original name of The New Inn.
taxidave
Carthorse Ted wrote:The Little Owl was a good boozer under it's original name of The New Inn.
So were the New Penny, Cheese Roller and Fiery Angel !!
Malabus
taxidave wrote:
Carthorse Ted wrote:The Little Owl was a good boozer under it's original name of The New Inn.
So were the New Penny, Cheese Roller and Fiery Angel !!
The New Penny was one of my favourites. Summer evenings in the garden with a cloudy Thatcher's
stevestar
anyone know whats happening to the double barrel pub in warden hill ?