Paris to Barcalona on the TGV for 50 quid

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ralph
http://tgv.en.voyages-sncf.com/en/train ... ona-france" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good fares
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Bargain. I don't know if you know how much trains are here Ralph? £126 is the usual off-peak fare for Newcastle to Cheltenham return. And if you don't have a seat reserved you could be standing for a quarter of the way between Leeds and Birmingham. Good old 'competition' - when no other company operates that route.
Malabus
Just a pity Barcelona is a pickpocket hell hole and the place is overrated.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Bargain. I don't know if you know how much trains are here Ralph? £126 is the usual off-peak fare for Newcastle to Cheltenham return. And if you don't have a seat reserved you could be standing for a quarter of the way between Leeds and Birmingham. Good old 'competition' - when no other company operates that route.
Which is why I'm taking the Easyjet way this week instead of te train. I've got a return flight an car hire for £100.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Time differential too small for me to want to use easyjet. Going to Gatwick, Southampton or Exeter I might well fly as they are further and can use BA or FlyBe. Cheltenham just too far from an airport for internal flights to be worth it for me personally.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Time differential too small for me to want to use easyjet. Going to Gatwick, Southampton or Exeter I might well fly as they are further and can use BA or FlyBe. Cheltenham just too far from an airport for internal flights to be worth it for me personally.
Hour drive to Bristol, max 1.hour waiting, hour flight = 3 hours. Driving = 5-6 hours if all roads clear.

Then there's the few hours I need up there driving to 4 different places, including Whitley Bay, then long (stressful!) drive home. All the while I could sit on a plane for most of it and relax. And I love flying :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Time differential too small for me to want to use easyjet. Going to Gatwick, Southampton or Exeter I might well fly as they are further and can use BA or FlyBe. Cheltenham just too far from an airport for internal flights to be worth it for me personally.
Hour drive to Bristol, max 1.hour waiting, hour flight = 3 hours. Driving = 5-6 hours if all roads clear.

Then there's the few hours I need up there driving to 4 different places, including Whitley Bay, then long (stressful!) drive home. All the while I could sit on a plane for most of it and relax. And I love flying :D
My office to Newcastle station: 5 mins.
Train to Cheltenham: 4 hours
Taxi to family home: 10 mins.
Total: 4hr 15.

My office to Newcastle airport: 20 mins.
Wait at airport: 1 hour.
Flight: 1 hour.
Faff at airport when landing: 20 mins.
A lift to pick me up: 1 hr + 1 hr for someone to drive down.
Total: 3 hr 40 for me and 2hr for whoever picks me up.

If it was more than an hour quicker I would fly but for ne the waiting around in an airport and the hassle of getting from Bristol airport to Cheltenham is not worth a half hour time saving.

But yes I see your point and fully understand it's a good option for some.

Clear roads and you can drive in less than 5. But rarely is clear so 6 could happen and I would not want to drive a return journey in a day for sure.