Looking to install a 600w PSU for PC.

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Want to upgrade from my 460w PSU. Looks easy enough, I take it they are all the same standard size? The only thing that puts me off slightly is connecting all the components to PSU correctly. Has any one got any experience and advice?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I built my own computer attaching all the parts and cables. My tip is, before you unplug put a little colour sticker on the socket on your motherboard and the same colour on any cables. Then when you put back together you won't forget what goes where.

PSUs do all seem the same size - internet cafe and repair shop I worked in had loads of the things lying around.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I built my own computer attaching all the parts and cables. My tip is, before you unplug put a little colour sticker on the socket on your motherboard and the same colour on any cables. Then when you put back together you won't forget what goes where.

PSUs do all seem the same size - internet cafe and repair shop I worked in had loads of the things lying around.
Thanks was thinking about colour coding or video the disconnecting.
Andy
Apart from the fact that it depends on the PSU being removed and the PSU going in as both are likely to have the wires as part of it - ie you stick the coloured stickers on the wire you removed, it will come out when you take the PSU out - and then you have the new wire attached to the new PSU.

Saying that it is quite easy to see what goes where - basically make sure you have the same number of connectors and types of connectors attached to the PSU that you are buying that what you are about to remove. Remove the new PSU and look at the connectors and colour code the same type of connector you are removing on your new PSU not on the wire you are removing :)
Malabus
Found a graphic card that requires minimum 450watts. So the current PSU maybe adequate.
Ralph
Malabus wrote:Found a graphic card that requires minimum 450watts. So the current PSU maybe adequate.

its a minimum you said. If you want a good graphics card to motor along, you need more power not the min.. Thats like getting a Ferrari and driving everywhere in 2nd gear lol I got a 600 psu and upgraded my vid card recently .. thing to note, my vid card has 2 sets of connectors and they both go in the psu.. if your vid card has 2 sets and your psu has one socket, i think you'll have a problem
Malabus
Ralph wrote:
Malabus wrote:Found a graphic card that requires minimum 450watts. So the current PSU maybe adequate.

its a minimum you said. If you want a good graphics card to motor along, you need more power not the min.. Thats like getting a Ferrari and driving everywhere in 2nd gear lol I got a 600 psu and upgraded my vid card recently .. thing to note, my vid card has 2 sets of connectors and they both go in the psu.. if your vid card has 2 sets and your psu has one socket, i think you'll have a problem
Yes. The card need two connectors from the PSU have to open the case up and see.
Ralph
if you have one socket on that psu, saw one of the connecters off the graphics card.. probably wasn't necessary to have it any way :)
Andy
Get a splitter
Malabus
Andy wrote:Get a splitter
Something like this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-com-Ex ... B004NNTVT6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy
Yep. I would however opt for larger PSU. Up to you.
Malabus
Andy wrote:Yep. I would however opt for larger PSU. Up to you.
I think so too. Thanks.
Andy
It allows for further expansion later then as well.

Just make sure you open your machine and work out what connectors you need so the new PSU you get you can check it has the number of connectors you needed :)
Ralph
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_38 ... B00E4MQO8C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mal, have you got this deal on amazon.co.uk? Just got a new 760 with 2 games
Malabus
Ralph wrote:http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_38 ... B00E4MQO8C

Mal, have you got this deal on amazon.co.uk? Just got a new 760 with 2 games
Yes...that's the cards I will be looking at.

Motherboard is PciE x16 2.0 most cards these days are 3.0 with backward compatibility. So a top rated card at the moment wouldnt be wise to buy. I like the Nvidia Gti 650 boost edition card.