advertising on this website

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How do the banner adverts get placed on here?

In the last few days the usual spam has got a bit more risque with a banner for a dodgy Asian mail order bride/dating scam website appearing quite often.

Just thinking it's imagery and content aren't really family appropriate and it reflects badly on the forum.
Andy
I think the adverts seem to come in on a google feed which picks up on keywords and phrases - whether thats personally directed or not Im not sure (as I get sonos adverts which I have googled a few times) and also other adverts relating to things i have looked at - however nothing sinister here.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thought that might be the case - hence my surprise as dating sites and Asian women are not something I have looked at!
Admin
Site Administrator
As Andy says, the adverts are served by Google and are just a way of contributing to the running costs of the forum.

If you're not aware of how Google adverts work, you are tacked on most website you visit these days and also when you search on Google directly. This way they can target advertising that you should be most interested in. Certain browsers will block these adverts if you don't wish to see them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I know how Google adverts work and the financial implications for this site.

What prompted me asking was that the adverts on here are a lot more spammy and dodgy than the ones I get elsewhere and did not look like Google ads.

Elsewhere it's quite clear the targeted ads are based on things I have recently looked up which is fine by me, but the ones I see on this site are completely random and different and are not related to my browsing at all.

Makes no difference, was just curious.