Tony Benn dies aged 88

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ed-88.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joey
A man who wanted to make the world a better place for everyone, deeply saddened to hear this news.

RIP.
Malabus
Great man.
Joey
30 second mention about his funeral on BBC news at six. When Thatcher died the coverage was obsessive, you couldn't get away from it. Benn was one of the greatest men of his generation and the BBC spend more time talking about grass roots football than his funeral service. The BBC can be bloody privatised for all I care, absolutely useless.
Malabus
Joey wrote:30 second mention about his funeral on BBC news at six. When Thatcher died the coverage was obsessive, you couldn't get away from it. Benn was one of the greatest men of his generation and the BBC spend more time talking about grass roots football than his funeral service. The BBC can be bloody privatised for all I care, absolutely useless.
Thatcher took us to war with Argentina and won......imagine if we didn't win....Michael Foot would had no doubt won the 1983 election, made strong attempts to bond a closer relationship with the Soviet Union (becoming a puppet state), USA relationship would become deadly stale as the UK accepts Russian long range nuclear weapons pointing westward...WW III...end of the world.

Thatcher was a more important political figure and prime minister for 11 years.
asl
...while TB was honorary president of the Loony Left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don't think TB should have been buried alongside MT. Surely that is reserved for former PMs only?
Joey
Malabus wrote:
Joey wrote:30 second mention about his funeral on BBC news at six. When Thatcher died the coverage was obsessive, you couldn't get away from it. Benn was one of the greatest men of his generation and the BBC spend more time talking about grass roots football than his funeral service. The BBC can be bloody privatised for all I care, absolutely useless.
Thatcher took us to war with Argentina and won......imagine if we didn't win....Michael Foot would had no doubt won the 1983 election, made strong attempts to bond a closer relationship with the Soviet Union (becoming a puppet state), USA relationship would become deadly stale as the UK accepts Russian long range nuclear weapons pointing westward...WW III...end of the world.

I understand Thatcher was prime minister but considering how influential Tony Benn has been on our population during his lifetime his funeral deserved more than a 30 second mention. ITV managed a report on it, I expect Sky News did too, why did the BBC not consider it worthy of decent coverage? I'm not suggesting it should have had similar levels of coverage than Thatcher did but the mere mention of it was just down right disrespectful. More evidence that the BBC is singing the tune of right-wing policies who in the end will seek to destroy it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey wrote:
Malabus wrote:

I understand Thatcher was prime minister but considering how influential Tony Benn has been on our population during his lifetime his funeral deserved more than a 30 second mention. ITV managed a report on it, I expect Sky News did too, why did the BBC not consider it worthy of decent coverage? I'm not suggesting it should have had similar levels of coverage than Thatcher did but the mere mention of it was just down right disrespectful. More evidence that the BBC is singing the tune of right-wing policies who in the end will seek to destroy it.
You can guarantee had the BBC shown more footage of it the Mail and other right-wing commentators would have been droning on about how left wing the BBC is and it's always showing allegiance to lefties etc.
Joey
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:You can guarantee had the BBC shown more footage of it the Mail and other right-wing commentators would have been droning on about how left wing the BBC is and it's always showing allegiance to lefties etc.
It'd be petty to complain about coverage of Benn's funeral plus research even suggests the BBC is biased to the right. http://www.newstatesman.com/broadcast/2 ... biased-bbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... stent-myth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joey
I remember reading that, Owen Jones is a very good columnist. It does seem fitting post the video of Tony Benn taking it upon himself to make up for the BBC's failings when it came to the Gaza appeal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix5CkWWeSmI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;