Latest Referendum Odds

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
10-1 and sliding on a Brexit. Quite long odds for a two-horse race.

In the last couple of days, the FTSE also appears to have decided it's a safe 'Remain'.

It's quite exciting really...although, maybe that's the wrong word...it's a bit like watching a guy thinking about jumping off a very high building. It's mesmerising, scary, and you know it might all be fine as he could be wearing a great big parachute that you can't see from where you're standing.

On the other hand, he might not have.
confused.com
asl wrote:10-1 and sliding on a Brexit. Quite long odds for a two-horse race.

In the last couple of days, the FTSE also appears to have decided it's a safe 'Remain'.

It's quite exciting really...although, maybe that's the wrong word...it's a bit like watching a guy thinking about jumping off a very high building. It's mesmerising, scary, and you know it might all be fine as he could be wearing a great big parachute that you can't see from where you're standing.

The young who seem to be so adamant to remain, may have a different view when they try to enter the job Market. In my current place of work, we have just taken on 87 IT graduates. 2 are from UK, 3 from India and rest from EU (mostly eastern EU). Don't be fooled, when working on budgets, there is always a strong argument put forward for taking cheaper labour. At the expense of home grown talent.
And you wonder why industry, by and large, is behind remain .....
Malabus
I suggest this lie to be removed.

Source?

#VoteLeave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:

The young who seem to be so adamant to remain, may have a different view when they try to enter the job Market. In my current place of work, we have just taken on 87 IT graduates. 2 are from UK, 3 from India and rest from EU (mostly eastern EU). Don't be fooled, when working on budgets, there is always a strong argument put forward for taking cheaper labour. At the expense of home grown talent.
Not the immigrants fault is it. Policy can be made to make sure foreign labour is not cheaper. Did 85 UK graduates really apply only to be told that they were too expensive?

Digital/IT skills is a sector we do a lot of analysis in and we need workers faster than we can get. I interviewed one tech company who offered a job to kid off stackoverflow before finding out he was only 14, such was the dearth of talent. Mainly caused by lack of IT teaching in schools and University degree courses not aligning with business needs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
I suggest this lie to be removed.

Source?

#VoteLeave
http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/bri ... hip-result" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Put it this way; bookies are rarely wrong and currency derivatives traders are rarely wrong. They are never wrong at the same time.

#Remain have it dans le sac, as they say the other side of our enforced passport controlled border.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
confused.com wrote:

Not the immigrants fault is it. Policy can be made to make sure foreign labour is not cheaper. Did 85 UK graduates really apply only to be told that they were too expensive?

Digital/IT skills is a sector we do a lot of analysis in and we need workers faster than we can get. I interviewed one tech company who offered a job to kid off stackoverflow before finding out he was only 14, such was the dearth of talent. Mainly caused by lack of IT teaching in schools and University degree courses not aligning with business needs.
Don't get me wrong, not saying it is their fault at all, would do exactly the same thing myself if I was in their shoes. The problem is that the situation is allowed to arise in the first place.

Without going into specifics - yes there was a good take up from equally well qualified UK residents. These positions covered a wide spectrum, from technical engineers, through trainee analysts, PMO, etc.
It came as no shock that those we were given to interview were mainly young eastern EU, whose salary expectations were somewhat limited.

You must also be well aware that there is always a good pool of talent in the local contract market, ...... but then again, expertise costs money. Depends if you want the job done, or what it done well and quickly :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Indeed, though as I alluded too - why do Eastern Europeans have lower salary expectations?

Because of the lack of quality coming through the UK pipeline. If the UK supply met demand, it would not be a sellers market.
Malabus
The £ against the Euro has been between 1.26/1.30 for the last six months. It's 1.30 today.

How the hell does the bookies know which way I voted in the booth this morning!! It's all foolish conjecture and the original post should be removed immediately.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Indeed, though as I alluded too - why do Eastern Europeans have lower salary expectations?

Because of the lack of quality coming through the UK pipeline. If the UK supply met demand, it would not be a sellers market.

???

UK Supply v Demand can only apply in a closed market surely. If you have an open market place, you will never know if UK supply can meet demand (or not meet demand).

Lower wage expectations. If I was earning equivalent of £130 a month in country A, and Country B was offering me £800 a month, then if I had no ties in Country A, I would have no hesitation in moving to Country B. Meanwhile the inhabitants of country B are fully aware the real market salary is £1000 a month.

It works in reverse when you look at our UK medical professionals seeking employment in USA and Australia. It is not down to the sun, it is down to higher salary.
confused.com
...... unless of course a race to the bottom is seen as a good thing to be aiming for
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:The £ against the Euro has been between 1.26/1.30 for the last six months. It's 1.30 today.

How the hell does the bookies know which way I voted in the booth this morning!! It's all foolish conjecture and the original post should be removed immediately.
Lol, Euro.

GBP surges to highest level against USD since 2009:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... xit-voting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bookies follow the money and the money follows where the most return is to be had.
confused.com
Malabus wrote:The £ against the Euro has been between 1.26/1.30 for the last six months. It's 1.30 today.

Lol, Euro.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... xit-voting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bookies follow the money and the money follows where the most return is to be had.
There was a fund manager on wake up to money during the week, who declared himself in the remain group. However, he went on to say that any serious currency player will not be getting involved with Sterling this week in any way, until the vote has been counted. Anything done before that was speculation and could be expensive one way or another.
Irrespective of what way the vote goes tomorrow, I would not like some oik in the city to be gambling my pension fund on it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Indeed, though as I alluded too - why do Eastern Europeans have lower salary expectations?

???

UK Supply v Demand can only apply in a closed market surely. If you have an open market place, you will never know if UK supply can meet demand (or not meet demand).

Lower wage expectations. If I was earning equivalent of £130 a month in country A, and Country B was offering me £800 a month, then if I had no ties in Country A, I would have no hesitation in moving to Country B. Meanwhile the inhabitants of country B are fully aware the real market salary is £1000 a month.

It works in reverse when you look at our UK medical professionals seeking employment in USA and Australia. It is not down to the sun, it is down to higher salary.
But if there were loads of Americans and Australians providing excess supply then there would be no higher salary for UK professionals to chase.

And what if Country A was outside a common labour market, say in China. Would a company in Country B still not hire them at £800 a month, saying they can't get the skills locally so unless they can give visas they relocate?

It is a global world, and we cannot shy away from that. Efforts are better placed on making sure children of today are best prepared and that the housing rental market is better regulated.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:

Lol, Euro.

There was a fund manager on wake up to money during the week, who declared himself in the remain group. However, he went on to say that any serious currency player will not be getting involved with Sterling this week in any way, until the vote has been counted. Anything done before that was speculation and could be expensive one way or another.
Irrespective of what way the vote goes tomorrow, I would not like some oik in the city to be gambling my pension fund on it.
Neither would I - but hey ho, the UK government fought of EU attempts to better regulate such oiks so you pays them your money and they makes your choice.
Malabus
A £ will buy you 1.31 euros it's risen. But leavers must stay positive.
Malabus
Did you take 10/1 ASL...LOL
confused.com
As you said ASL great odds in a two horse race and very easy money. What spurred me on to gamble on it was when I noticed paddy power share price went down yesterday afternoon
asl
Alas, I'm not a betting man... The last bet I had was on West Tip to win the National while still at college.

Sterling has crashed. Hope you're happy: now make it work.
Malabus
Sterling has crashed because it was expected. Its temporary; 5th largest global economy we now can trade FREELY, control our borders. You could sustain immigration the way it was heading. Believe in Britain folks.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Might be time to cash in the ten euro note I have in the coffee table draw for four months!!
confused.com
My first action was to purchase Barclays shares.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Might be time to cash in the ten euro note I have in the coffee table draw for four months!!
Post it too me. Give you a great rate for remainder traitors. :)
asl
I bought a stack of Euros a few weeks ago in advance of holidays to Portugal and Ireland this summer. Deliberately bought more than I needed because the rate was so good. Wanna hear something funny? My wife has just texted to let me know the battery on the safe appears to have died and we can't get to them...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Might be time to cash in the ten euro note I have in the coffee table draw for four months!!
Post it too me. Give you a great rate for remainder traitors. :)
:P
Malabus
asl wrote:I bought a stack of Euros a few weeks ago in advance of holidays to Portugal and Ireland this summer. Deliberately bought more than I needed because the rate was so good. Wanna hear something funny? My wife has just texted to let me know the battery on the safe appears to have died and we can't get to them...
I bought @1.42 nine months ago.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I bought a stack of Euros a few weeks ago in advance of holidays to Portugal and Ireland this summer. Deliberately bought more than I needed because the rate was so good. Wanna hear something funny? My wife has just texted to let me know the battery on the safe appears to have died and we can't get to them...
Get a Polish locksmith round to open it - I hear they are cheap.
asl
I'm pretty sure the safe has a supplemental external battery terminal under the control panel for such emergencies. At least, I hope it does...