A suggestion

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
After the EU Referendum result becomes known on Friday, if the vote is to REMAIN can we have an indefinite moratorium on any posts relating to the subject starting Monday @ 00:01? That gives anyone who wants to publically weep, crow, or analyse the effects of maintaining the status quo, a whole weekend to get it off their chests. After that, any new posts will be purged as and when we see them (if the other mods agree?) and persistent offenders banned.

It's clear there's not going to be a massive difference between the two votes - most likely within 10 points, I think - so what we don't want is any new UKIP-type campaign for Referendum parte deux starting up immediately afterwards.

Obviously, if the vote is to LEAVE, then there's an awful lot of thoughts to be discussed so no restrictions need be implemented.

Does that sound fair? Are we not all exhausted by the whole topic?
Shade
asl wrote:
Does that sound fair? Are we not all exhausted by the whole topic?
Yep. Yeeeeeeeep.
Ralph
Can we not just ban Mal for a while? :lol: When does he go to Bosnia and Serbia for his summer hols?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ok, I agree.

I'd already drafted my 'Lord Rothmere, Oswald Mosley, Nick Griffin, Nigel Farrage, AJW Malabus.... your boys have taken one hell of a beating' post ready to deploy, but more than happy to cease and desist.

;) ;) :lol: :lol:
confused.com
I will then look forward on Monday to the avalance of investment we have been told has been held back! All the jobs that will be created next week! We have been assured this will happen. Oh and forgot the ongoing reform of the EU
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:I will then look forward on Monday to the avalance of investment we have been told has been held back! All the jobs that will be created next week! We have been assured this will happen. Oh and forgot the ongoing reform of the EU
I won't be - nowt will change.
confused.com
Lol you think
Malabus
I shall fight to my death!! #VoteLeave
asl
https://youtu.be/zKhEw7nD9C4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
I want the dark knights helmet!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
So, moving on. Time for a referendum on whether we want an unelected and unaccountable head of state which costs the taxpayer millions, interferes with government, uses up land, is past it's sell by date and is passed on by birthright rather than democracy.

#VoteRepublic #ToTheGuillotine #NoMoreMonarchy
Ralph
Outs ahead right now
confused.com
Time for the UK very own good Friday agreement and the country to move forward together. Democracy has spoken and that's how we do things in this part of the world
Malabus
Beautiful just beautiful
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... pean_Union" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Time for the UK very own good Friday agreement and the country to move forward together. Democracy has spoken and that's how we do things in this part of the world
Yup. Division from here helps no one, only unity.

A good speech from Caroline Lucas this morning: https://www.facebook.com/carolinelucas.page/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin
Shocking stats that RCS, I know a lot of young people who are completely disillusioned with today's result.
confused.com
Maybe a word of cautio on those 'stats', the source is yougov. Who happen to be the ones who predicted last night at 10 that remain would win by a good margin.... enough said
Malabus
YouGov never get anything right :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Maybe a word of cautio on those 'stats', the source is yougov. Who happen to be the ones who predicted last night at 10 that remain would win by a good margin.... enough said
Indeed, a big caveat.

However, see my other post on voting data by local authority level - the age difference clearly visible.
Ralph
Other countries will follow on now i'm sure, and the EU may start to break up
Scots banging the drum for another referendum to break up from us

Interesting times
confused.com
And so it goes on... first I am branded stupid, ignorantan racist by the elite. Now I am told my vote was indeed a vote against the government, their austerity an and my feeling of disenchantment with politics. And there was me thinking it wasa vote on the EU
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:And so it goes on... first I am branded stupid, ignorantan racist by the elite. Now I am told my vote was indeed a vote against the government, their austerity an and my feeling of disenchantment with politics. And there was me thinking it wasa vote on the EU
Not your personal vote, jeez man.

Inequality, deprivation and disillusionment in parts of the North East is very high. Immigration is a valid concern, amongst others (cuts, for example).

Voters here had genuine grievances. The only politicians who paid them any attention or offered anything to help were Ukip and other leavers. Yes I think the Leave campaign with posters of ISIS victims in Macedonia was unsavoury, but I do not blame the voters in anyway for believing the EU and it's consequences had harmed them and their futures.

I admit I have been too dismissive and snobbish about these voters, however, I hope now whatever the shape of our Government measures are taken to help them. After all, given the only public funding in the North East comes from the EU, if that is stopped and the Government keeps on with their deliberate policy of not spending money in the region and building massive railway and infrastructure in the South East and Manchester then the plight of the poorer communities will only get worse. Let us hope that does not emerge and that a better Britain takes shape once EU exit has happened.
confused.com
:) thanks RCS, just sitting down to lunch and need a good read :))
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Glad to be of service, though not sure I find poverty and inequality as funny as you do.
Robin
The ironic thing is some areas which were keen to vote out like North East and Wales are heavily subsidised by the EU. I have a hard time now thinking our new right wing government will replace that funding.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The ironic thing is some areas which were keen to vote out like North East and Wales are heavily subsidised by the EU. I have a hard time now thinking our new right wing government will replace that funding.
Exactly my worries Robin.

The EU and immigration has taken the blame in these areas this week.

If the small-government right-wingers do emerge as the government in the next couple of years and leave these areas to decay further into poverty then the question is where will the blame go next?

This was the situation in 2015 and earlier in 2015 in the most prosperous and dynamic place in the North East. Once the EU support stops if not replaced then who knows what we'll see:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... s-10930960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“The Government handed out £300m in transition funds and sent 85% of it to Tory councils, none to Newcastle and hardly any to the North."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ohn-harris" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“Looking into the next two or three years, I’m struggling to see how we would do a balanced budget without closing down much of the social care provision in the city......we are entering the realm of not just the politically impossible, but the legally impossible”

"Next door is a play area. There’s a large crack in a big plastic slide that could easily cause injury, and a square of plywood has been nailed to the top to stop anyone using it – an indication that, as Forbes puts it, “we no longer have a parks maintenance budget”"
Shade
I wish everyone would just wait and see what happens now rather than prophesying doom. So many people who haven't got a clue what's going to happen (basically, everyone) are banging on how ashamed they are to be British today and what a grubby little country we are. Pathetic. These are the same morons that think we're no longer in Europe, the Euros, Eurovision, etc, and won't let any immigrants through the door at all. It just shows how little of the actual facts got out there during the campaigning and how much of the balls that was spouted actually stuck.
Malabus
Just to remind the unintelligent. We are still part of EUROPE we can drink and eat all their goods (vice versa)..but we are not part of the monstrous EU that bosses everyone and makes endless laws and demands.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
Shade
Further to mine and Malabus' posts, Jermaine Pennant, on twitter, has asked what this means for England in Euro 2018... :lol: What a moron, on more than one count.
ctfc-fan
With regards funding, does anyone have actual figures how much we pay in and how much we get out?

Surely instead of sending the money to the EU and then getting some back, we send it direct to these needy areas, after all, I'm sure the EU don't give us more money back than we give?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:With regards funding, does anyone have actual figures how much we pay in and how much we get out?

Surely instead of sending the money to the EU and then getting some back, we send it direct to these needy areas, after all, I'm sure the EU don't give us more money back than we give?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wales pay less in to the EU than they get back. I suspect Cornwall and North East are the same, especially Cornwall.

As for the Government sending the investment direct to these region, that would be best. However you have to remember that the reason they are in need of the EU money is that apart from about 1999-2002 no Government has had desire to invest.
Circa 1887
Lads, just a quick note to say how refreshing this thread is - as I catch up on it tonight. We live in a democracy and no one vote is more valid or less valid than the rest. Sadly, social media has been utterly vile and toxic today - so it's reassuring to see grown up and respectful discussion, not pathetic name calling and ostracising.

But then again - clearly we're an intelligent bunch given our club allegiance.
asl
Okay, I've an admission to make.

Today's stock market crash wasn't as bad as feared - although, obviously, we wait to see whether it continues to tumble next week. However, the crash of GBP v USD means that, thanks to a fairly chunky Wall Street holding, my portfolio is actually showing a sizeable profit for the day! Oh, I know a day's trading means nothing and these are all unrealised gains (and probably pales into insignificance compared to the damage done to my pension pot), but the irony does amuse me a bit. #VoteOut #ShortTermism :lol: :cry:
Red Duke
Hopefully, as UKIP being a single issue party and it has achieved what it wanted, becomes redundant and so we no longer have to listen to Nigel Farage and he disappears off into the sunset.