March For Europe - A March of the foolish.

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Utter madness.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/687 ... um-seekers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/686 ... ep-us-safe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spain on the verge of bankruptcy too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Bankruptcy is a long word for the Express!
confused.com
The vote has been and gone.
Where is our Prime Minister ??? I see he managed to appear in the Chilly Cot session.
I would suggest, getting his finger out and introducing some stability and confidence would be a better way to spend his time.
Get on with the extra runway, get on with the Manchester / North East infrastructure. Show us and the world that it is BAU in UK.
Europe is no more, move on , give us a way forward and let us get on with it
Malabus
Mother Merkel in a spot of bother
http://linkis.com/shr.gs/oWzqy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You may think it is funny to laugh at people fleeing for their lives from ISIS slaughter, most decent people would not.
confused.com
Think that to take the emotion out of such debates, a clear line should be drawn between families fleeing the likes of ISIS and the economic hordes of young males flooding our friends in Europe.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well Mal's post referred to refugees!
Circa 1887
Sadly, the Syria crisis and subsequent open door policy in Europe allowed a number of known Euorpean terrorists to travel back in to Europe from Syria, without any authorities being aware due to a lack of border control.

Whilst I feel for those displaced in Syria and would not want them left unaided, the open door approach is not a safe or sensible solution. In truth, Russia and Saudi Arabia should have stepped up - but their silence on refugees was deafening.

The UK was only prepared to accept a defined number of 'processed refugees' who had been identified and documented fully - so we knew what we were getting. I fear for the Germans, they have naively invited a significant risk upon themselves and fellow schengen area nations, not to mention increasing the social funding burden on themselves and fellow nations - who were not party to the German decision.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Silly me Circa, what do the lives of a few million children matter compared to the odd terrorist who may or may not be found by the best intelligence agencies in the world?

Plus, my usual tip - try thinking long term and bigger picture. Treating displaced, distressed and frightened young people like vermin and abandoning them to ISIS and other militias in squalid camps and warzones will only make things worse. Think about it, where do terrorist groups recruit? Where there is division, destruction, poverty and no future better than Hell.

There will be far more terrorists recruited from refugees turned away than there will be from ones given sanctuary.

I personally am in favour of reducing the size and strength of terrorist organisations which is why I am on the side of helping those trying to flee their clutches, but if you want to help ISIS that is your perogative.
Circa 1887
That's an impressive attempt at misrepresenting somebody's else's viewpoint - even by your high standards, RCS. Shamefully it's also in very poor taste though. People are allowed different viewpoints...just thought I'd emphasise that, given your tendencies in posting on this board.

Clearly, that is not at all what I have said. What I have said is a carte blanche approach to open borders is not the best approach, in my view. Equally, whilst Britain can play its part in helping, so can the rest of the world. Yet on the whole, they don't. Given this isn't the place for rational political debate, I'll leave you to your flag waving. Don't fall off your soap box.
Circa 1887
And maybe do some research on where terrorist groups, or at least Da'esh, recruit. Not in their war zones or slums, but from Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey. Most of us will have been on holiday to at least one of those countries, hardly 'hell'. Still....a bit of hyperbole isn't unusual for you.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Circa 1887 wrote:That's an impressive attempt at misrepresenting somebody's else's viewpoint - even by your high standards, RCS. Shamefully it's also in very poor taste though. People are allowed different viewpoints...just thought I'd emphasise that, given your tendencies in posting on this board.

Clearly, that is not at all what I have said. What I have said is a carte blanche approach to open borders is not the best approach, in my view. Equally, whilst Britain can play its part in helping, so can the rest of the world. Yet on the whole, they don't. Given this isn't the place for rational political debate, I'll leave you to your flag waving. Don't fall off your soap box.
Touched a nerve?

Of course the rest of the world can do it's bit. My view is it is better to be the leader and inspire others to act rather making the excuse that we won't help until others do. If I see an old lady trying to get away from muggers I will try and help, not put my hands up and say I won't bother til other people do, especially when I know some of the others are weaker and nastier than me.

As for 'open borders' (a phrase which is hyperbole), again, Britain has taken in few Syrian refugees compared to other countries - the government in 2015 set a target of 20,000 by 2020.

Regarding recruitment - you missed my point about future and long term. I was not talking about recruitment now or in the next year or two, but in five or ten years if the situation is not resolved. I want to protect and visit the lovely holiday destinations as much as you do. Ending instability and stopping ISIS income streams is the best way to reduce the risk to those countries you name.
Circa 1887
Your analogy regarding muggers is redundant - as this country is one of the leading contributors of foreign aid. We do not wait for others to act, as you suggest I'm suggesting. But we have finite resources and it would be reckless to promise a life and security in this country that we cannot deliver. That's just realism. So help though we can, we cannot offer refuge to millions of refugees in a way Germany is trying, nor do I believe it would be safe to, in many respects beyond terrorism.

So it's not a case of touched a nerve, it's more that I'm bored of checking the forum each day only to see another GCSE essay, with fluffy ideals and lessons in hindsight lifted from the pages of the Guardian. God forbid they ever get anything wrong - you're whole world might turn out to be a lie.
Ralph
Circa 1887 wrote:That's an impressive attempt at misrepresenting somebody's else's viewpoint - even by your high standards, RCS. Shamefully it's also in very poor taste though. People are allowed different viewpoints..
My thoughts exactly Circa.
Ralph
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Circa 1887 wrote:That's an impressive attempt at misrepresenting somebody's else's viewpoint - even by your high standards, RCS. Shamefully it's also in very poor taste though. People are allowed different viewpoints...just thought I'd emphasise that, given your tendencies in posting on this board.

Touched a nerve?
No, just you misrepresenting somebody's else's viewpoint again
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Circa 1887 wrote:Your analogy regarding muggers is redundant - as this country is one of the leading contributors of foreign aid. We do not wait for others to act, as you suggest I'm suggesting. But we have finite resources and it would be reckless to promise a life and security in this country that we cannot deliver. That's just realism. So help though we can, we cannot offer refuge to millions of refugees in a way Germany is trying, nor do I believe it would be safe to, in many respects beyond terrorism.

So it's not a case of touched a nerve, it's more that I'm bored of checking the forum each day only to see another GCSE essay, with fluffy ideals and lessons in hindsight lifted from the pages of the Guardian. God forbid they ever get anything wrong - you're whole world might turn out to be a lie.
Lol. The Guardian are often wrong which is why I read the Telegraph and Indy in equal measure!