HAND IN ARTICLE 50 NOW!

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Brits are getting extremely fed up with the situation.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Even in the greatest political moment in modern British history with the world lurching between economic meltdown, ISIS and Donald Trump the Express still get a picture of Diana on the front page! Be a tougher job to get Maddy on the cover but I believe in their ability.
confused.com
a rad harsh RCS, I am sure I saw two consecutive days a while back, when neither featured on the front page.

On a different topic, was working in Detroit last week and saw a guy wearing a t-shirt and the first person that came to my mind was Mal (shocked me as well !!).
It had a picture of a brick wall, with the slogan "build it and they won't come". Have to say I smiled at it and was tempted to find one to buy, if only for the humour
asl
98% say no? Considering only 72% of people voted in the referendum and, of those, only 52% were in favour of leaving, the Express must have been very particular about their sample.

Actually, I'm in favour of triggering Article 50 asap, too: like pulling off a particularly tough sticking plaster, it's better to rip it off in one tug rather than trying to tease it off.

Besides, we're told it's going to be fine...
Judge_Dreddful
asl wrote:98% say no? Considering only 72% of people voted in the referendum and, of those, only 52% were in favour of leaving, the Express must have been very particular about their sample.

Actually, I'm in favour of triggering Article 50 asap, too: like pulling off a particularly tough sticking plaster, it's better to rip it off in one tug rather than trying to tease it off.

Besides, we're told it's going to be fine...
Absolutely. Because Boris the Buffoon wouldn't have lied to us and/or turn out merely be a clueless chancer obsessed with his own interests would he?

Oh...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fine or not, get it done.

Uncertainty and limbo land is the worst of all scenarios.

If leaving will be good then let's do it asap, it will have big negative consequences then let's do it asap so we can do something about it asap.

Living in uncertainty prevents any action either way and is like death by a thousand cuts.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Government already taking money away from development initiatives:

"Payments from a £3bn European development fund were suspended indefinitely by the UK Government, just days after the vote to leave the EU, The Independent can reveal.

In a move that exposes the almost immediate impact of Brexit on the UK economy, businesses say they have been told they will not now receive money that was due to be paid out under the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 54526.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting piece: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... ppoint-ev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
theidlerich
is that the same type of poll that you see in rear car windows stating 98% want hunting reinstated. [This was a small sample poll solely amongst the hunting fraternity!!].
Circa 1887
I'm actual pro prolonging it at least for a year. If we are negotiating against a fixed timeline, with a clock ticking, it'll end up being a game of poker, and we'll be strung along by the EU knowing that as time ticks by, we are under more pressure to accept terms or get nothing. There's little logic in that - it's poor business, and gets the EU off the hook for the soul searching and policy reconsiderations they ought to be undertaking.

Take time, size it up, begin to outline the trade deals with Canada, Australia, and the potential USA-China piggy back deal - keep those in the back pocket. With the EU-USA deal hitting potentially insurmountable obstacles now, our bargaining power becomes stronger as frustration will grow within the EU at their inability to take a progressive and united approach to economics and trade.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not much progressive about TTIP.
Circa 1887
Elements are, elements aren't - depending on the country, and therein lies a key flaw in the EU's approach.

For us, aspects around suppliers of health care services and equipment would've been unworkable given our public health system, but that may not be a convern for all EU states and may in carry cost benefits.

The flaws of trying to negotiate en mass with a bloc of different countries, I suppose - as the US is finding out to it's absolute frustration.
Red Duke
I see there is report in the paper today about British meat is going to be allowed back into USA. A sign of progress?
asl
Don't the US still have a blanket ban on haggis...? And Kinder Surprise eggs, for that matter. No remote chance of people having an upset tummy or choking on a plastic toy, there. "Uzi 9mm to protect your home, Sir? No problem!"
Circa 1887
The US actually uses a high amount of genetically modified crops, a growth hormones in cattle - two things that are not currently compatible with EU food standard policy.