Amazon Echo

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Well this is futuristic, will catch on?
I think the Amazon Echo looks a very handy electronic device and the retail price is very reasonable.

https://youtu.be/KkOCeAtKHIc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Thought it was a new local newspaper in Brazil.

Now i know that it could probably read one to you if asked.
Daveangel
Stop putting bloody Echo links on the RN you *%^#*%.

I was forced to click on it and it RUINED MY LIFE!
asl
Are you telling me Amazon's couriers would leave an expensive piece of hardware like that on the front door mat??? How long would that stay there if it were delivered to Whaddon or St Paul's???
Shade
asl wrote:Are you telling me Amazon's couriers would leave an expensive piece of hardware like that on the front door mat??? How long would that stay there if it were delivered to Whaddon or St Paul's???
Good point. Terrible advert.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Daveangel wrote:Stop putting bloody Echo links on the RN you *%^#*%.

I was forced to click on it and it RUINED MY LIFE!
Simple answer. Don't click!
Ralph
Google Home is better.
Malabus
Ralph wrote:Google Home is better.
Out on the 4th October at the retail price of £99.00.
Can you ask it to order an Indian buffet.
asl
I'm thinking of adding a Nest or a Hub to my house. Does anyone have any opinions? Can I control multiple heating zones without ripping out all my existing motorised valves?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I'm thinking of adding a Nest or a Hub to my house. Does anyone have any opinions? Can I control multiple heating zones without ripping out all my existing motorised valves?
I advise getting in touch with these chaps: http://www.knxconsultants.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
Yea, maybe if I was building a house from scratch... What I'm really thinking of is replacing an existing thermostat control box so that it can control three manual rocker switches that control the three zones in my house, alongside being able to control it remotely via an app. Not really fussed about controlling lights, blinds, etc - just the heating. Be nice to be able to go away for a week and switch on the heating on the way home so the house is warm when we arrive.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Yea, maybe if I was building a house from scratch... What I'm really thinking of is replacing an existing thermostat control box so that it can control three manual rocker switches that control the three zones in my house, alongside being able to control it remotely via an app. Not really fussed about controlling lights, blinds, etc - just the heating. Be nice to be able to go away for a week and switch on the heating on the way home so the house is warm when we arrive.
They mainly do retrofitting rather in new builds, and design bespoke programming to allow you to do that with an app. But yes, point taken.

My Sister-in-Law has a Nest, just installed in place of previous thermostat and she can control with an app.
Ralph
Malabus wrote:
Ralph wrote:Google Home is better.
Out on the 4th October at the retail price of £99.00.
Can you ask it to order an Indian buffet.
Now that would be useful. If you look at voice search on Google, you can do pretty much anything, so why not
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
Now that would be useful. If you look at voice search on Google, you can do pretty much anything, so why not
Can you use voice to post replies on football fora? Rather than having to type so many posts?
ctfc-fan
I've used heatmiser before and the app is fine, just not sure if it does multiple zones.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just have completely different temps in each zone. A Crystal Maze house.
Malabus
What's wrong with the fecking timer on the boiler.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:What's wrong with the fecking timer on the boiler.
Thought you were more of a fire in and oil drum kind of chap.
asl
Not sure how a timer on my combi boiler would help matters, but I can look into it...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
Not sure how a timer on my combi boiler would help matters, but I can look into it...
Ha. Though we have a combi with a thermostat control (on the hall wall) which you can programme times in to.
asl
So have I - that's what I want to replace. My existing controller switches the heating on and off at up to four preset times over seven days. If I go away for a week and want it to come on an hour before I get home, I'd have to a) unset all the settings bar one; b) know when I'm going to get home; c) reprogramme the entire thing afterwards. In addition, d) the controller doesn't handle zoning and is either on or off with the zones controlled manually by rocker switches. If I'm going to replace the controller so that it can handle d) then I may as well install something that can solve the pain of a-c).

Maybe that makes me lazy - but the technology is there, so why not use it? Otherwise we might as well all use candles to light our homes rather than this newfangled 'electrickery' thing. People laugh when I tell them I have a boiling water tap in my kitchen - but I bet most of them that do have a dishwasher.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I agree with you asl, let me know if you find a good solution.
Malabus
Relax you won't get cold ASL.