High Court Ruling: Parliament must vote before Article 50.

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ourt-rules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
Parliament has more power than a High or Supreme Court.
asl
It's very worrying. While I think the 51.9% who voted to leave are dreadfully wrong, to give parliament the opportunity to overrule that decision is equally as wrong. Our country is in chaos - and if the Brexiters think that's either a good thing or could not possibly have been anticipated, then they're wrong about that, too.

I see Bo-Jo told a group of people that he anticipated that "Britain will make a Titanic success of Brexit." Highly amusing - although I rather suspect he did the line for the gag as I don't see him making that sort of error, accidentally.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:It's very worrying. While I think the 51.9% who voted to leave are dreadfully wrong, to give parliament the opportunity to overrule that decision is equally as wrong. Our country is in chaos - and if the Brexiters think that's either a good thing or could not possibly have been anticipated, then they're wrong about that, too.

I see Bo-Jo told a group of people that he anticipated that "Britain will make a Titanic success of Brexit." Highly amusing - although I rather suspect he did the line for the gag as I don't see him making that sort of error, accidentally.
MPs are elected to represent their constituencies.

My constituency was majority Remain, so I expect my MP to vote accordingly. My neighbouring constituency was majority Leave and I expect that MP to vote to fulfil that wish.

If MPs go against their constituents then we are in crisis. If the go with them, then it shows the strength of British sovereign democracy.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 03 Nov 2016, 13:11, edited 2 times in total.
Malabus
Wrong...behave ASL..you have been brained washed by project fear.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: My constituency was majority Remain, so I expect my MP to vote accordingly. My neighbouring constituency was majority Leave and I expect that MP to vote to fulfil that wish.
Absolutely - but even if they do that, with constituency boundaries as they are, could that not mean the number of MPs representing Remainers outnumber those representing Leavers? A constituency of 10000 people who voted unanimously to leave would be outnumbered in parliament by two constituencies of 5000 each, where just a small majority voted to remain.

A breakdown of referendum votes by constituency would be interesting.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: My constituency was majority Remain, so I expect my MP to vote accordingly. My neighbouring constituency was majority Leave and I expect that MP to vote to fulfil that wish.
Absolutely - but even if they do that, with constituency boundaries as they are, could that not mean the number of MPs representing Remainers outnumber those representing Leavers? A constituency of 10000 people who voted unanimously to leave would be outnumbered in parliament by two constituencies of 5000 each, where just a small majority voted to remain.

A breakdown of referendum votes by constituency would be interesting.
It would be interesting, and it will no doubt means that happens, or vice versa*. It might provoke action to move to a PR based system (for a reformed second chamber, for eg.) as of course it is the same situation which keeps UKIP, Greens, LD, etc, from winning more than the odd handful of seats and why they have campaigned to move away from the first-past-the-post constituency based approach for decades. So in this sense, your example would not be any more constitutionally bankrupt than General Elections already are.

*The numbers in your example may be 'out of date soon' as the new boundary equalisation review happens to make sure constituencies have equal populations, like they did in the past before population shifts.
Malabus
In poker card game terms the UK will be showing its hand to Juncker and his cronies.
We as British people whom voted out are being conned left, right and centre.
We want a bullish hard Brexit, the majority truly demanded this.

asl
Malabus wrote:We want a bullish hard Brexit, the majority truly demanded this.
Shockingly, I agree. I think the people should truly get what they voted for. The Remainers can then either say "I told you so" when the country goes tits-up - or we can all bask in the glory of the New World. Win-win.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
Malabus wrote:We want a bullish hard Brexit, the majority truly demanded this.
Shockingly, I agree. I think the people should truly get what they voted for. The Remainers can then either say "I told you so" when the country goes tits-up - or we can all bask in the glory of the New World. Win-win.
I half agree - it is a two-staged question:

1. Must we trigger Article 50 and fulfil the will of the people? YES.

2. Do we know that will of the people a bullish hard Brexit? Do we have any idea what was voted for? NO.

Only once we have negotiated will we know what we have unleashed, and it may or not be what the Leave voters wanted.
confused.com
I don't think it will make any difference to the trigger being pulled on 50. However, what disturbs me most about this ruling is that Royal Perogative has been used on every occassion we have ceded powers to Europe, so how come on the one time we are looking to take power back, it can not be used?? No wonder people think the judicial system is an ass