Andy Murray

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
An incredible achievement, to become World number 1! It may well only last a week with the Tour Finals starting next weekend - but, even if that's the case, I think he'll regain it in the new year as Djoko has a mountain of points to defend and Murray barely played for two months after the Oz Open, following the birth of his kid. Djoko was as invincible at the start of the season as Murray is at the end and, right now, Murray is clearly the better player, despite having a long way to go to match him in terms of slams. British, Scottish, misery guts - I don't care: I like watching brilliant tennis and, nine times out of ten, Murray provides that. In ten years time, will he be regarded as having been a better player than Djoko, Fed and Nadal? No, probably not - not unless he wins every major for the next two years. But, right now, he's the best and I can only applaud him for that.
Malabus
Are you really that excited ASL.
asl
Yep! My second favourite spectator sport!
Shade
It seems like a bit of a false position though, doesn't it? Considering he rarely ever beats Djokovic when they go head to head, we all know who the best player is...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:It seems like a bit of a false position though, doesn't it? Considering he rarely ever beats Djokovic when they go head to head, we all know who the best player is...
Indeed, though equally Murray is much closer to Novak in the Finals and Grand Slams:

They have met 34 times, and Djokovic leads 24–10. They have met in 17 finals (of which seven at Grand Slam tournaments) and Djokovic leads 10–7.
asl
Something's up with Djoko, for sure... He had an absolute meltdown in the Rome Masters early in the year and suddenly began to look vulnerable. Murray hasn't played him lately - but can hardly be blamed for Djoko losing before the final (the only time they can meet as the first and second seeds) to players that he would have thrashed 9 months ago. Obviously Djoko still has the better career record but, if they were to play right now, my money would be on a Murray win. Next week's tournament will be interesting!
Malabus
I wonder if Murray broke a smile today (or this year).
confused.com
And there was me thinking it was a sporting contest, not a smiling one