St Georges Day

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
it means about as much as our National Anthem does to most people - bugger all

Lets change our Anthem to something that stirs passion , something about our Country and not a person.

Lets celebrate St Georges Day as passionately as the Irish celebrate St Patricks Day

oh wait .......... the country is full of foreigners - we are not allowed to celebrate our own country for fear it will offend some ethnic minority
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:it means about as much as our National Anthem does to most people - bugger all

Lets change our Anthem to something that stirs passion , something about our Country and not a person.

Lets celebrate St Georges Day as passionately as the Irish celebrate St Patricks Day

oh wait .......... the country is full of foreigners - we are not allowed to celebrate our own country for fear it will offend some ethnic minority
Jeremy Corbyn announced the other day that each of the UK Patrons Saint Days would be made Bank Holidays. Sounds like a good move towards your suggestion.

As for not being allowed to celebrate, LOL, what have you been reading?
Shade
If St George's Day is made a bank holiday it would probably just replace May Day bank holiday, so what's the point? I'd rather have 2 in May than 3 in April. I'd rather have all tbh, but that won't happen.

Most seem to celebrate St Patricks Day just as a p!## up...is there any Irish pride in it? And as for all the others...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:If St George's Day is made a bank holiday it would probably just replace May Day bank holiday, so what's the point? I'd rather have 2 in May than 3 in April. I'd rather have all tbh, but that won't happen.

Most seem to celebrate St Patricks Day just as a p!## up...is there any Irish pride in it? And as for all the others...
Corbyn's plan is for four additional bank holidays, in addition, not replacing existing ones.
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:If St George's Day is made a bank holiday it would probably just replace May Day bank holiday, so what's the point? I'd rather have 2 in May than 3 in April. I'd rather have all tbh, but that won't happen.

Corbyn's plan is for four additional bank holidays, in addition, not replacing existing ones.

So we would have March 1st, March 17th, April 23rd, May 1st, May 31st + 2 at Easter. That gives 7 in 3 months and just one in November between Aug 31st and Xmas. It would be better to spread them throughout the year.
Shade
Ridiculous. Surely the holidays would be just a bank holiday in that country, rather than the whole of the UK? Either way, I think there are bigger things for him to be worrying about.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Ridiculous. Surely the holidays would be just a bank holiday in that country, rather than the whole of the UK? Either way, I think there are bigger things for him to be worrying about.
His proposal is that all four would celebrate all four saints days, to help unify the UK by virtue of sharing cultural holidays.

This was just one line, so you can rest assured the main things he is worried about stagnating wages, record food bank use and poverty, record house prices and unaffordability, underfunded NHS amongst others.
Shade
More deluded than I thought if he thinks us all having a couple of extra days off will make us more united. He should go and suggest a mutual bank holiday with ISIS while he's at it.
Malabus
His proposal is that all four would celebrate all four saints days, to help unify the UK by virtue of sharing cultural holidays.
As we are a nation of devout Christians.
asl
I like to think that we're not so insecure in our cultural identity to require a 'patron saint' day. If you ask me in a couple of months time what date St George's Day is, I wouldn't be able to tell you.
Nesty
Nesty wrote:it means about as much as our National Anthem does to most people - bugger all

Jeremy Corbyn announced the other day that each of the UK Patrons Saint Days would be made Bank Holidays. Sounds like a good move towards your suggestion.

we have had stories in the papers regarding not being allowed to have England car flags, not allowed to call it Christmas etc etc
Sprout Picker
Nesty wrote:

we have had stories in the papers regarding not being allowed to have England car flags, not allowed to call it Christmas etc etc
Don't believe everything you read in newspapers?