British consumers killing seals

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As usual, the desire of British consumers to buy meat and fish for a price which doesn't reflect the total cost (including non-monetised environmental and social costs) results in unsavoury side effects.

In this case, intensive fish farm operators shooting seals:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 08316.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“With over 1,500 reported shot in the past six years alone, our seals are paying a cruel price for Scottish salmon...There are fewer grey seals than African Elephants in the world, but because they are concentrated in UK waters, people believe that they are thriving."
Circa 1887
No doubt you ensure your fish purchases are ethically sourced, RCS - quizzing the fishmonger on the location and method of capture, before handing over your cash.

I on the other hand will only eat a fish if I am certain, beyond doubt, that at at least one seal has been killed in the process of catching it. Sometimes I even ask to see the bloodied torso, as evidence.
Shade
BREAKING NEWS:
Shock As People Say They Won't Pay More Than The Price They're Given
"Everyone's a b#!#%#d", say seals
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Circa 1887 wrote:No doubt you ensure your fish purchases are ethically sourced, RCS - quizzing the fishmonger on the location and method of capture, before handing over your cash.

I on the other hand will only eat a fish if I am certain, beyond doubt, that at at least one seal has been killed in the process of catching it. Sometimes I even ask to see the bloodied torso, as evidence.
I don't eat much meat, and never fish, due to the fact that the fishing industry as it stands is environmentally unsustainable.

Meat I only eat if it is wild game, preferably if being culled for ecosystem protection reasons (deer or rabbit) needed because wolves etc are no longer here to kill them. Sometimes if provenance of a sheep or cow is proven I'll have those.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:BREAKING NEWS:
Shock As People Say They Won't Pay More Than The Price They're Given
"Everyone's a b#!#%#d", say seals
The option is there with all meat. If there is a line caught sustainable salmon caught from a MSC/UN approved location for £10, and a Scottish farmed salmon for £4 do people really have no concept that one is cheaper for a reason? I take the view that in choosing the cheaper product they know full well that it will be more environmentally and socially damaging.
Circa 1887
Why give us the choice? I don't read the packaging particularly closely and I imagine that is true for most people (though not all).

- Supermarkets could scrap all items that are not ethically produced, but they don't.
- Packaging could feature a picture of a dead seal, in a way mirroring the approach to cigarette packaging. But it doesn't.

It's not the consumers fault. It's supermarkets and regulations.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Circa 1887 wrote:Why give us the choice? I don't read the packaging particularly closely and I imagine that is true for most people (though not all).

- Supermarkets could scrap all items that are not ethically produced, but they don't.
- Packaging could feature a picture of a dead seal, in a way mirroring the approach to cigarette packaging. But it doesn't.

It's not the consumers fault. It's supermarkets and regulations.
Yes, a true and valid point. Of course, supermarkets will say they will keep selling it as long as their demand, and the government won't change regulations as long as they get support from agri-business and retail lobbyists to get rid of 'red tape'.

Given the supermarkets exist to make profit at all costs, and politicians govern for the highest bidder, it really is consumers who have to demand change. Supermarkets and food product manufacturers won't do those two things you identify as they think it will harm profit and sales; they will only respond if consumers vote with their feet and wallets.

As you say, consumers are given a choice, and it is up to them to make that choice. If they keep buying battery factory chicken or seal shooting farm salmon, supermarkets will keep selling it. If consumers stop then they won't keep selling it.
Shade
Or, if they stop buying it they'll drop the prices even lower to entice people to buy it, probably reducing in more seals being killed.

They need a blanket price hike, or a total ban. I think it's quite clear by now we don't live in a utopia and trusting the public en-masse to do the right thing isn't going to happen, especially when they've got a lot of other stuff that they're worrying about that affects them much more directly.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes, I agree that expecting British consumers to take responsibility for their decisions is too much to expect in this day and age. I would support your suggestion of a ban on certain methods and products, and minimum prices for some products (eg milk).