We are being mugged off

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No wonder 40% of the population voted to nationalise this mob:

"Research this week by Santander blows the whistle on the ever-growing portion of our monthly pay that goes on largely unavoidable household bills. It looked at bills for gas, electricity, water, TV, phone and so on – and found they have escalated in price far, far ahead of average wage rises. Since 2006, average pay packets in Britain have gone up by 19% in pounds and pence terms (in other words, not adjusting for inflation). Meanwhile, the average gas bill has gone up 73%, electricity 72%, and water 41%.......

....athe top of the utility companies the view is very different. Just weeks after arguing against consumers having their bills capped to save them £100 a year, the boss of one utility, SSE, was given a 72% pay rise to £2.92m after this “robust performance”. The reward comes after years of bumper dividend payouts which have doubled from 32.7p a share 10 years ago to 62.5p most recently......

.....the water companies have also been fabulous performers – for the stock market, not you. As a study by the University of Greenwich found last month, consumers are paying around £2.3bn more a year in water and sewerage bills to the privatised companies than if they had remained in state ownership."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/ ... -companies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Red Duke
Nothing new there. A fake competitive market that disguises a monopoly. The biggest con that that the Conservatives ever dreamt up.
Malabus
Energy should be free.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Energy should be free.
:lol:
asl
I must admit, I like the idea of every house being off-grid and generating their own power and so, essentially, being 'free.' Tesla's new roof tiles look great and Musk has ambitions to make them cheaper than 'normal' tiles. All we need then is a big ol' battery in the loft to store up excess power during the day for use at night. Just need PV technology to get a little better so we can harvest enough sun during the meagre six or so hours we get in winter...
kora
Back in the 50's we were told if we accepted nuclear power, electricity would be free by, I think it was 2000; wonder where that promise went.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kora wrote:Back in the 50's we were told if we accepted nuclear power, electricity would be free by, I think it was 2000; wonder where that promise went.
Currently Hinckley Point is £2billion over budget, with us paying that to the French and Chinese, with the energy it will be produce being guaranteed a minimum price for EDF which is well in excess than current UK energy price.

Sounds like you experienced another Tory lie from the 1951-1960 government!
Red Duke
kora wrote:Back in the 50's we were told if we accepted nuclear power, electricity would be free by, I think it was 2000; wonder where that promise went.
I remember that. Fastbreeder reactors that would create so much nuclear fuel that it would be free in future.