May's Brexit Address this Friday

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Anyone else completely flummoxed as to why May announced so far in advance she will be giving this speech?

We have a Brexit department so what will she add which no one else has?

If she wants to re-assure us she'll surely come off looking even more lame after more "Brexit means Brexit delivering the will of the people" or will be telling us what we already know so looking pointless, or announcing something the Brexit department are unaware of so looking dictatorial.

Surely the only reason for announcing the speech date so far in advance is that you have something new, important and decisive to say, is a big announcement only the PM can make. There are only five things of this magnitude I can think of in the context of Brexit, which in order of most likely to least likely are: resignation, unilateral immediate Brexit with no deal, date for referendum on terms of a deal, date for another general election, cancelling Brexit.

I suspect it won't be anything important at all and she'll be roundly ridiculed yet again for a 'non-speech' following poor advice.
asl
Perhaps she's going to quit and tell us what we already know - that the whole debacle is totally undeliverable so she's handing over the reigns to BoJo, Farage and Mal cos they know f'kin everything and will guarantee we not only have our cake and eat it, but we also get to choose all our ingredients and what colour icing we have?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Perhaps she's going to quit and tell us what we already know - that the whole debacle is totally undeliverable so she's handing over the reigns to BoJo, Farage and Mal cos they know f'kin everything and will guarantee we not only have our cake and eat it, but we also get to choose all our ingredients and what colour icing we have?
If she does say that because she campaigned for remain and does not have the heart or desire for a no-deal she is standing down so a Brexiter can deliver it then it will be the first bit of integrity and honesty we have seen from her.
Malabus
Team Boris and Gove is the way forward.
confused.com
suggest rather than conjecture, it may be just easier to wait and see what is said. If you are not expecting anything, then you won't be dissapointed ?
Didn't think I would have to advise people of a certain age, the meaning of democracy. Sometimes you don't win the vote. When that happens, you have two choices. Either accept the vote and the outcome, or bitch about it for the rest of your life.
Johnsons Red Army
Malabus wrote:Team Boris and Gove is the way forward.
Didn't Gove stab Boris in the back as recent as last year in the Conservative Leadership election?

Can't see that 'team' being formed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:suggest rather than conjecture, it may be just easier to wait and see what is said. If you are not expecting anything, then you won't be dissapointed ?
Didn't think I would have to advise people of a certain age, the meaning of democracy. Sometimes you don't win the vote. When that happens, you have two choices. Either accept the vote and the outcome, or bitch about it for the rest of your life.
Wasn't bitching about any policy - just commenting on a bemusing political strategy. If we are not to expect anything, why announce two weeks in advance you are going to do the speech. That is the daftest thing - such a long lead in time is only ever going to lead to conjecture and chatter, which is probably the opposite of what she intended.
Malabus
Well done to the 52% that had enough of Juncker and his dictatorial actions for the greater Europe, expansionist, one leader, one army feckin non sense.
This is why the real Brits voted out : Brexit boost for Theresa May as Justin Trudeau promises 'seamless' trade deal - The Independent
https://apple.news/ATMj76SMcTSuHsHeDyDxoQA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Malabus on 19 Sep 2017, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Malabus
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
Didn't Gove stab Boris in the back as recent as last year in the Conservative Leadership election?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... ately/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnsons Red Army
Malabus wrote:
Johnsons Red Army wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... ately/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To continue reading this Premium article
Register for free on our website
Register today
Already a Premium subscriber?
Login
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
NEST EXCLUSIVE

May Preparing for Friday's Big Event

confused.com
RCS, bitching aimed at ASL not your good self
However it is your good self who seems to be expecting nothing new to be said in Florence. Hence my comment that if that's the case you won't be let down irrespective of what is or is not said.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:RCS, bitching aimed at ASL not your good self
However it is your good self who seems to be expecting nothing new to be said in Florence. Hence my comment that if that's the case you won't be let down irrespective of what is or is not said.
Fair point. Apologies.
asl
Actually, you might be surprised to know I'm in favour of ripping the plaster off as quickly as possible. The decision has been made - which I whole-heartedly disagree with, of course - but I respect the fact that it has been made and now wish to get on with it, so we can get to this promised land of milk and honey we're told about. Doesn't mean I have to believe that what the majority think they voted for is actually possible - but I've bought my popcorn and I'm sitting back in my chair waiting with keen interest to see what happens next.
Malabus
asl wrote:Actually, you might be surprised to know I'm in favour of ripping the plaster off as quickly as possible. The decision has been made - which I whole-heartedly disagree with, of course - but I respect the fact that it has been made and now wish to get on with it, so we can get to this promised land of milk and honey we're told about. Doesn't mean I have to believe that what the majority think they voted for is actually possible - but I've bought my popcorn and I'm sitting back in my chair waiting with keen interest to see what happens next.

You're in favour of Juncker vision of erasing individual countries in Europe in order to have state system with no borders, one leader, one army and one currency.

Wake up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
asl wrote:Actually, you might be surprised to know I'm in favour of ripping the plaster off as quickly as possible. The decision has been made - which I whole-heartedly disagree with, of course - but I respect the fact that it has been made and now wish to get on with it, so we can get to this promised land of milk and honey we're told about. Doesn't mean I have to believe that what the majority think they voted for is actually possible - but I've bought my popcorn and I'm sitting back in my chair waiting with keen interest to see what happens next.

You're in favour of Juncker vision of erasing individual countries in Europe in order to have state system with no borders, one leader, one army and one currency.

Wake up.
Whereas you just want one Europe with one religion, race and ethnicity.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Can't see Tapatalk stuff. Don't use the app.

Question for the room; will both May and Johnson be in their current roles come Monday lunchtime?
kora
The Telegraph is suggesting Boris may well resign if his beloved leader does not say the right things.
confused.com
I would be pretty pi55ed off if I end up paying money to EU through my taxes, just to keep some fat cat from having to fill in a few customs forms. Makes you wonder how industry managed to survive when they had to do things by paper rather than software at the push of a button
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:I would be pretty pi55ed off if I end up paying money to EU through my taxes, just to keep some fat cat from having to fill in a few customs forms. Makes you wonder how industry managed to survive when they had to do things by paper rather than software at the push of a button
Indeed. I do find the language over the payments unhelpful.

I believe fully that we should meet our obligations for payments up until 2020. A huge amount of ERDF and similar projects are at the start of their 2017 funding cycle in the UK and across Europe. These projects are generally very good, have good BCRs and evaluations and would be a shame to be scuppered.

I do not think we should pay a penny for trade access. If the EU won't sell us Dutch tomatoes without us paying them a fee, then a) a boon for British growers and b) we can import nicer and cheaper from African countries who are currently effectively banned from selling into the EU due to non-tariff barriers and the CAP.

Thus I support the current EU position: pay our current legal obligations which should be easy to work out as the funding is already committed. Then we have left the EU.

Then negotiate trade and if they don't give us free preferential access then screw them and we will make deals elsewhere where cheaper and more beneficial.
Johnsons Red Army
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Can't see Tapatalk stuff. Don't use the app.

Question for the room; will both May and Johnson be in their current roles come Monday lunchtime?
My money is on yes.

May has already proven she will cling onto power no matter what (see DUP deal) and I don't really see what Boris would accomplish by resigning.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Can't see Tapatalk stuff. Don't use the app.

My money is on yes.

May has already proven she will cling onto power no matter what (see DUP deal) and I don't really see what Boris would accomplish by resigning.
She might sack him if she thinks it removes a threat, though as you say, that could lead to BJ voting against her in Parliament, and May will do anything to ensure votes go her way, as evidence by her securing removal of democracy by rigging the committees last week.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I see May is having a pop at the UN: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politic ... it-reforms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Put up to it by Trump in return for him considering to think about free and fair trade with us?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Though looks like no one bothered to turn up to listen: http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/uk_59c2c ... 12d7?ir=UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
confused.com
Am unsure as to what Boris has done differs from what hammond has been also doing all summer. It is a bit rich that relic Ken Clarke calling for Boris to be sacked, yet he is strangely quiet when PH goes off on one of his rants.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Am unsure as to what Boris has done differs from what hammond has been also doing all summer. It is a bit rich that relic Ken Clarke calling for Boris to be sacked, yet he is strangely quiet when PH goes off on one of his rants.
To an extent, though I 'spose the difference is BJ's essay was more of a vision/ideology/aspiration and his own view, whereas Hammond, as treasurer, only reports on the findings and results of economic research and analysis undertaken/commissioned by HMT.

Anyway, back to the OP - briefings after the cabinet meeting today suggest May is going to announce a 2-year transition period.
confused.com
And there was me thinking that actioning the article to leave started our transition period. They should have made it a 4 year process then!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:And there was me thinking that actioning the article to leave started our transition period. They should have made it a 4 year process then!
Me too. However, that would have meant that when we actioned the article the government a) knew what on earth they wanted to transition to, and b) brought in skills from cross-party and from outside government to contribute to the two-year process, rather than picking 'negotiators' based on party politics and self-preservation of the PM.
confused.com
As for PH, sorry, can't buy into that defence. His job is to collect money and spread it about. Monetary policy! OE, trade and indusrty has its own department, brexit has its own department. However you paint it PH comments are his view of how to limit brexit as much as possible. Just as BJ are to implement it as much as possible. He is still in the space of trying to scare the bejaysus out of people. And is in danger of turning as twisted and bitter as the last man at number 11
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Looks like his bejaysus scaring is working on May.

Latest briefings on the speech suggest that May will say the UK is willing to pay 20 billion euros during the transition period if UK has access to single market and a bespoke form of customs union.

And the FT reporting that ministers have told the financial services industry “Britain will seek to develop a distinct regulatory framework from the EU after Brexit in an effort to secure a long term competitive advantage for banks, fund managers and insurers” but keep it the same during the transition period. I guess because the City of London Corp are scaremongering about relocations and job losses.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 21 Sep 2017, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
confused.com
IMHO that huge gap in logic stems from the stupifying position of Cameron, with his, there is no plan B. Unsure as to what manager does not plan for the chance things may go wrong. E should have stood back and planned for the outcome instead of running around campaigning. Unforgiveable that plan! Was not ready to be rolled out
confused.com
Oh well as long as the cats get their cream
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Oh well as long as the cats get their cream
Yup - maybe all the dumb ass 'normal people' who thought voting Tory would help them rather than the cats will finally wake up to the fact Tories only exist to benefit their own friends and family circles at the expense of everyone else.

Be simple to pay £20bn tomorrow and leave with no negotiations and encourage and help small and medium British businesses trade with whoever they want around the world and cut rates and corporation tax. Good businesses and good business people would thrive. Unfortunately, as the inefficient and not very good Tory controlled monopolies and oligopolies would struggle, May and the cats are going to have to fudge so they don't lose out.

Looks like May's chums are going for a nice jolly in Florence, but not many other people. No one from the EU bothering to travel to Italy for her speech. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 59396.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why not just do it from London.
kora
When there are rumours that your job is in danger you have to cream off all the bonuses you can and a nice trip to Italy is a good start. As far as the £20m payment goes if they can persuade the fat cats to pay some tax to cover it, then it's not that bad an idea. I won't hold my breath on them actually paying something to the exchequer though.