Adelaide Test

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Can't see England avoiding the follow-on.

Prediction: Australia chase 75 in the final innings to win by 10 wickets.
Shade
Three baffling decisions in this Test:
1) Root deciding to field.
2) England's bowling unit deciding to bowl so much short c!#p.
3) Steve Smith deciding not to enforce the follow-on.

Unfortunately, I don't think No.3 is going to outweigh the first two. Bizarre. Two very average sides with very questionable decision making battling it out. Are they trying to be too clever?
asl
3 didn't surprise me, tbh. I think the decision was to allow the bowlers to have a break. It's not like we were skittled inside 50 overs. Weather not a problem for the next two days, so why not go out and swing the bat until the end of the first session tomorrow? A day and a half is more than enough time to dispatch England a second time.
Shade
True, but the bowlers could have an even bigger rest if they got us all out by tea tomorrow, which they likely would have. TBH, the way the ball was moving this morning/the final session, England would probably have been 50-7 and the job all but done.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Aussies four down - could have been English wickets tumbling in the dark had Smith enforced.

I suppose he is relying on the middle order building a lead of 350-400 during the daylight tomorrow and ripping through the England top order in the dark tomorrow.

Then if England do survive the daylight on day 5 the tail can be mopped up after sunset.

With two night time sessions to bowl at England there is no doubt Aussies will bowl England out. Will be up to England to try and win the game before dusk on Day 5.

Personally I think Smith bottled it and wasn't brave enough to back his team to bowl England out quick enough and then knock up the runs.

Winning by an innings would have been ruthless.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Game on!

Be great to see a Cook double century to make the gutless Smith regret not enforcing the follow on.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Be great to see a Cook double century
Jinxed that one, right away......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Be great to see a Cook double century
Jinxed that one, right away......
Was a good 30-45 mins between posting and the incorrect computer generated wicket. Going down leg as clear as day
Shade
They're battling away...half way to the total at stumps. The good news is our middle order has been where most of our runs have come from for a while now, and we're only just into it... or maybe I'm clutching at straws. Who knows with this England batting line up. Woakes, Bairstow and Ali could all hit half centuries, or we could be skittled for another 40 runs in the morning. My head says we've got no chance, but my heart is telling me Root will score a big daddy ton after being dropped on 56, and Woakes, Moeen and Bairstow will stick with him and get enough between them to see us over the line. I just hope it doesn't come down to 4 needed with one wicket remaining, because I don't think I could take it.
asl
"It's not the *despair* - I can handle the despair - it's the *hope* I cannot take..."
Red Duke
asl wrote:"It's not the *despair* - I can handle the despair - it's the *hope* I cannot take..."
:) :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Woakes averages 30 in tests. Root looking majestic and ton-bound.

IF those happen it will be around 100 needed with Bairstow and Ali still to come.

Jimmy to hit the winning runs...after his bowling exhibition ...and the Queen to officially rename the Adelaide Oval as the Anderson Oval.

That'll give Smith something serious to review!!