Pensioner defending his wife and home gets charge of murder

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ralph
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ak-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fcuking crazy. Just like the one in Norfolk years ago.

Over here, you enter someones home and not been invited, you have a target on your back and rightly so
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not sure it is possible to judge the legal merits of a case based on a Daily Mail article.

Norfolk: Tony Martin 1999. One half of our A-Level General Studies exam in 2003 to write a well argued case for or against his conviction, about 1500 words I think.
asl
There was a case a few years ago of a home owner who battered an intruder so badly he was left in a coma. Sympathetic to that home owner? Yes, at first glance, of course.

Then, after the initial headlines, it emerges that the burglar had fled when he realised the owner was in. Still on the side of the home owner? Yes, he'd fled and was several streets away by the time the owner caught up with him. That owner had also stopped to pick up a cricket bat on his way out...

Still think he used 'reasonable force' to protect his property?
Johnsons Red Army
asl wrote:There was a case a few years ago of a home owner who battered an intruder so badly he was left in a coma. Sympathetic to that home owner? Yes, at first glance, of course.

Then, after the initial headlines, it emerges that the burglar had fled when he realised the owner was in. Still on the side of the home owner? Yes, he'd fled and was several streets away by the time the owner caught up with him. That owner had also stopped to pick up a cricket bat on his way out...

Your post reminded me of this a few years ago from the States: https://nypost.com/2014/07/24/pregnant- ... eing-home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
asl wrote:There was a case a few years ago of a home owner who battered an intruder so badly he was left in a coma. Sympathetic to that home owner? Yes, at first glance, of course.

Well the main difference there is that the burglar wasn't in his home.

I was burgled last year. Nearly a year ago. Came home from work and the place had been ransacked. He'd been through everything, but hadn't destroyed anything except the back doors on gaining entry. Luckily, shortly after I'd called the police someone called me from Tewkesbury Police Station and asked if I knew what had been taken yet. I'd only noticed a couple of obvious things but they matched what they had as they'd noticed a suspicious vehicle at Strensham services and found a load of stolen goods in it, as he'd been down on a day trip from Birmingham to rob places around Glos. Now, if I'd have been there at the time I would have felt well within my right to beat the living s#!t out of him and maybe chase him down the road as well. However, since finding out that he's a bloke in his late 40's with addictions, knowing that it wasn't personal, and having got the vast majority of my stuff back, I just feel sorry for him that his life is such a mess.

Not sorry enough to help him, but sorry enough not to wrap a cricket bat around his head. Even if that probably is the humane thing to do. He does have a record as long as your arm, including death by dangerous driving.

My point is, if someone breaks into your home, I don't think you should be held accountable for your actions for anything that happens in the next 10 minutes.
asl
My point related to it being unlikely that we know the full facts about what happened, at this point. In the case that I mentioned, the home owner was initially portrayed as a victim. IIRC, he also found time to call someone to help with the beating.

If the case is as clear cut as initial reports say, then I say good on him - that's one less scally to worry about.