Giro / Yates

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sensational stuff today.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Sensational stuff today.
Yes. Looking extremely good, especially with Chaves providing a good foil. Hope he can keep it up.
Malabus
Nice if there was a clear explanation from the thread starter. What does "Giro/Yates" mean...?

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Nice if there was a clear explanation from the thread starter. What does "Giro/Yates" mean...?

If you don’t get it from that then you probably have no interest in how Simon Yates is leading the Giro d’Italia in great fashion.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Malabus wrote:Nice if there was a clear explanation from the thread starter. What does "Giro/Yates" mean...?

If you don’t get it from that then you probably have no interest in how Simon Yates is leading the Giro d’Italia in great fashion.
What?
asl
Malabus wrote:What does "Giro/Yates" mean...?
Did you think our former manager had been sacked from Solihull and was now on the dole...?
Malabus
asl wrote:
Malabus wrote:What does "Giro/Yates" mean...?
Did you think our former manager had been sacked from Solihull and was now on the dole...?
Ohhh dear...another glue sniffer on the robins forum.
Malabus
So it’s about road cycling - the most boring spectator sport ever.

Leave you to it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:So it’s about road cycling - the most boring spectator sport ever.

Leave you to it.
Thanks. As I said, if you didn’t get the thread title then not the topic for you.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well, great efforts by Yates to limit losses to Dumoulin in the TT today. I cannot see the Dutchman inflicting blows in the high mountains; if Yates does crack I reckon the door is open for Pozz or Froome.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Well, great efforts by Yates to limit losses to Dumoulin in the TT today. I cannot see the Dutchman inflicting blows in the high mountains; if Yates does crack I reckon the door is open for Pozz or Froome.
It's been a very impressive effort throughout from Simon Yates though one mishap / bad day could still change everything.

It'll be interesting to see how aggressive Froome is in the mountains and how his fitness has developed over the course of the race with one eye on the Tour.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Well, great efforts by Yates to limit losses to Dumoulin in the TT today. I cannot see the Dutchman inflicting blows in the high mountains; if Yates does crack I reckon the door is open for Pozz or Froome.
It's been a very impressive effort throughout from Simon Yates though one mishap / bad day could still change everything.

It'll be interesting to see how aggressive Froome is in the mountains and how his fitness has developed over the course of the race with one eye on the Tour.
A little wobble in the finish yesterday but normally today would be a day for Yates to put time into Dumoulin and seal it.

But obviously there is nothing normal about it. I am fully expecting one of the contenders to properly crack on the Colle Delle Finestre.

Look the state of the climb earlier in the week: https://www.efprocycling.com/gruber-gal ... o-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Proper pre-War Giri look about it. If teams like Sky get their tactics right they could easily gain minutes over their rivals. Can’t wait to see the scenes of the final selection during the last 10km.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Oh boy did the main contender crack!! Epic scenes.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Oh boy did the main contender crack!! Epic scenes.
Yes, there it is. Real shame for Yates after a very accomplished first two weeks or so but that's the nature of the beast and Froome's long game pays dividends.

Still another potential twist tomorrow but I'd be surprised if any of the main contenders will have enough left to take time out of Froome now. He just has to hope for no mishaps...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I think Yates put too much effort in to the TT to limit his losses. That exertion after a rest day knackered him.

Even if Froome is not 100% tomorrow team Sky are strong enough to contain Dumoulin.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I think Yates put too much effort in to the TT to limit his losses. That exertion after a rest day knackered him.

Even if Froome is not 100% tomorrow team Sky are strong enough to contain Dumoulin.
I'd tend to agree with that - after previously looking so strong in the climbs he was an absolute shadow of himself today.

Sky back into a more familiar position now and if one team can put a strangle-hold on proceedings it'll be them, could even be a chance of a Froome counter tomorrow if Dumoulin attacks and blows up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I think Yates put too much effort in to the TT to limit his losses. That exertion after a rest day knackered him.

I'd tend to agree with that - after previously looking so strong in the climbs he was an absolute shadow of himself today.

Sky back into a more familiar position now and if one team can put a strangle-hold on proceedings it'll be them, could even be a chance of a Froome counter tomorrow if Dumoulin attacks and blows up.
Pinot - destroyed by the Astana boys. Did he even finish?

Valiant effort by Dumoulin - glad he had a go rather than settling for second. And admirable to come back after Lopez / Carapaz tried to see him off.

Sky had Sunweb under control.

Not a great stage 20, but the MR was won on 19. One of the absolute classics.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:

Pinot - destroyed by the Astana boys. Did he even finish?

Valiant effort by Dumoulin - glad he had a go rather than settling for second. And admirable to come back after Lopez / Carapaz tried to see him off.

Sky had Sunweb under control.

Not a great stage 20, but the MR was won on 19. One of the absolute classics.
Yes, a very gutsy performance by TD - Froome on another level in the mountains though as his form and fitness returned and should hopefully leave him at peak condition for the Tour assuming he's not prevented from racing.

Spectacular implosion by Pinot, looked as though he was going to fall off at times!