Gibraltar

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Inevitable capitulation and betrayal of the Rock at the eleventh hour.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eto-threat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ihearye
Brexit is about compromise and works both ways, and finding a solution which works for NI’s communities and economy and, more importantly for the rest of the U.K as well.

Be careful now , your secterian views are shining through! Surely the rock should be preppared to be sacrificed for the good of the rest of the UK ? Or is that particular sacrifice only suitable for NI Unionists? Your dual standards are nothing short of amazing
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Slightly different. My OP concerned with losing sovereign territory and a strategic naval base to Spain. The need to ensure NI is well governed, not separated from the U.K. and with no policed hard border is to preserve the U.K. and stop U.K. citizens blowing each other up.

Anyway, all going to be swell according to one of our esteemed members of government: https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/busine ... 82037.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ihearye
correct me if I am wromng but your OP was "inevitable capitulation and betrayal of the Rock at the eleventh hour.".

Your position re the two circumstances is laughable. It's OK as long as its NI and not a lump of rock in the Med with a miniscule population and in this modern era of no strategic use at all. Unless of course you envisage us going to war with Spain?

You can't argue that one minority*as far as teh UK is concerned), should put up a shut up for the greater good, yet get on your high horse about an even smaller population and a few monkeys. I can only presume it is because Gib allows same sex marriage and abortion on demand. Which yiu seem to judge a sociery by?

Anyone who believes there will be a return to armed conflict in NI because of the remote possibility of a few border checks, is so far divorced from the thoughts of the average person in NI. Not sure why Leo chose to stir up that 'fear', but it does him little crdeit!
SHANDY VOR
Today Gibraltar, tomorrow the Isle of Wight.

Think on!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:correct me if I am wromng but your OP was "inevitable capitulation and betrayal of the Rock at the eleventh hour.".

Your position re the two circumstances is laughable. It's OK as long as its NI and not a lump of rock in the Med with a miniscule population and in this modern era of no strategic use at all. Unless of course you envisage us going to war with Spain?

You can't argue that one minority*as far as teh UK is concerned), should put up a shut up for the greater good, yet get on your high horse about an even smaller population and a few monkeys. I can only presume it is because Gib allows same sex marriage and abortion on demand. Which yiu seem to judge a sociery by?

Anyone who believes there will be a return to armed conflict in NI because of the remote possibility of a few border checks, is so far divorced from the thoughts of the average person in NI. Not sure why Leo chose to stir up that 'fear', but it does him little crdeit!
Gibraltar must stay in the U.K. as much as NI, is my point. Backstop, no backstop, land border, sea border, no border, whatever, NI is not going to leave U.K. and be claimed by Ireland - zero chance even if in a different regulatory regime (as it is in some areas already) to GB. Spain claiming Gibraltar and annexing it from the U.K. is a genuine threat. People in NI are not going be blockaded or subject to Irish sabre rattling, but people in Gibraltar may well face such threats from Spain.

Personally, if Spain tried to seize Gibraltar, I see no reason why we should not protect it by force.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ihearye wrote:Spain tried to seize Gibraltar, I see no reason why we should not protect it by force.
Don't forget to polish your boots.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Spanish warship in British waters blaring out the Spanish national anthem. And we haven’t even left the EU yet.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 67171.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... -national/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
They should start thinking about renaming their ships Belgrano if they want to play games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:They should start thinking about renaming their ships Belgrano if they want to play games.

Exactly. The route from Suez to the Channel is vital to British trade, and Gibraltar is a key feature of that route.

The Rock will never be seized by the Spanish.
Malabus
May's deal will see more blackmailing from other EU nations...Macron already tried it regarding the fisheries.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:May's deal will see more blackmailing from other EU nations...Macron already tried it regarding the fisheries.
Let the people decide on the whether to have a deal or not.

If May is certain the deal delivers the will of the people then why is she scared of another referendum? And if Rees-Mogg and his rabble are certain it doesn’t deliver and people want no deal, then why are they scared? Surely if the will of the people is to leave, then no one should fear a second referendum will overturn the original vote.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just a poll so obviously a fist of salt must be in accompaniment, but 65% of NI people would vote Remain and 60% think a united Ireland is more likely due to the current government failure.

https://amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news ... 09187.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not good at all and the longer the unresolvable deadlock in Parliament lasts the more such damage to the U.K. and perception of the U.K. builds up. End the deadlock, fulfill the will of the people and announce a people’s vote so we can get Brexit over with and leave by the end of March 2019 with a clear instruction on whether to take the ‘best possible’ deal or exit with no deal depending on the instruction people give.