World Champions

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Brilliant day of sport, today. Was watching England's incredible win in the cricket on one TV; Djoko v Fed on another; and the British GP on my phone.

Stokes rightly MotM - but NZ will look back on those two sixes he scored (you know the ones...!) and think what might have been. Never known a one-dayer like it. SPOTY Team of the Year nailed on (sorry, Liverpool and City, that's just tough.)
Ihearye
Strange sport, when a full international captain of one 'country', can then become a full international captain of another country. Any other sports allow this sort of flip flopping?
asl
When he played for Ireland, they weren't full ICC members. His mother is English and he's held a British passport since birth. I think there's similar examples in Rugby - South Pacific islanders who switch to playing for Australia, spring to mind.
Shade
Yes, every player that player that plays has got a British passport. Jofra Archer's dad is English. Oddly enough, from looking at him and hearing his Durham accent, Ben Stokes is probably the least English player in the squad, given his parents are both Kiwis and he has only lived in England since he was 12, and the rest of his family have since moved back to NZ. His dad was actually supporting NZ yesterday...but maybe his loyalties changed when it was his son out there winning the match for England. Jason Roy has lived in England since he was 10.

As far as I'm concerned, if a kid has a parent of that nationality, or they have lived in that country permanently since before they were 16, they have a right to play for that country. Qualifying through grandparents is a nonsense, though.
Ihearye
no issues re nationality, just seem curious that you can play for two countryes at full international level. ASL explanation probably answers re Ireland not being recognised as a memeber of the 'club'. Rugby does not allow playing at full international level for two countries. U20 etc is Ok then you can switch. Once a full cap is given, then thats it
Like I said - strange sport :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Yes, every player that player that plays has got a British passport. Jofra Archer's dad is English. Oddly enough, from looking at him and hearing his Durham accent, Ben Stokes is probably the least English player in the squad, given his parents are both Kiwis and he has only lived in England since he was 12, and the rest of his family have since moved back to NZ. His dad was actually supporting NZ yesterday...but maybe his loyalties changed when it was his son out there winning the match for England. Jason Roy has lived in England since he was 10.

As far as I'm concerned, if a kid has a parent of that nationality, or they have lived in that country permanently since before they were 16, they have a right to play for that country. Qualifying through grandparents is a nonsense, though.
Just to be a pedant, Stokes whilst playing for Durham mainly grew up in Cumbria as his Dad was coach for either Whitehaven or Workington rugby league and his accent has the weird Lancashire/North East mix that Cumbria has - like the “Born in Carlisle, made in the Royal Navy” TV advert.

Mark Wood is proper North East accent - joining the Charlton brothers as another one of Ashington’s World champions. Steven Harmison never made it, so can’t claim to be the most successful fast bowler from Ashington anymore.